IGNORED

How long is a good ride?

halfwitt

I would like to put together a ride for next year for riders in and around southern PA. I have two teenaged kids that I will trust home alone for one night so this ride would be a two day with an overnight somewhere. Being new to the touring world, what do you consider to be a good ride? Do you like to just hop on the scoot and ride? Or, do you like touristy stops along the way? I was looking at a ride that would go from York, PA through Gettysburg, PA through Catoctin Mountain, MD to Harper's Ferry, WV to Luray, VA on Skyline Drive. Riding with no stops that's an easy 175 mile ride. With stops in Gettysburg and someplace like Charlestown, WV it could be a full day. What makes a good ride for you?

Guest tx2sturgis
I would like to put together a ride for next year for riders in and around southern PA. I have two teenaged kids that I will trust home alone for one night so this ride would be a two day with an overnight somewhere. Being new to the touring world, what do you consider to be a good ride? Do you like to just hop on the scoot and ride? Or, do you like touristy stops along the way? I was looking at a ride that would go from York, PA through Gettysburg, PA through Catoctin Mountain, MD to Harper's Ferry, WV to Luray, VA on Skyline Drive. Riding with no stops that's an easy 175 mile ride. With stops in Gettysburg and someplace like Charlestown, WV it could be a full day. What makes a good ride for you?

Check the kickstand. If its up, then its a good ride!

:)

Guest KitCarson
If you're riding in a group, a stop about every hour to hour and a half is nice, or about 100 miles or so. Riding alone you can easily go longer. But I don't think I'd take a group on a 175 mile stretch with no breaks.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Hey........well said.......someone with some sense!!! I am thinking about posting my viewpoints on group riding.......will do so one evening when I am not tired........I used to group ride a lot....now I dread it, and usually will not.......everyone wants to go 70 miles an hour which puts the rubber band to work in back of the pack at 85..........everyone wants to run three hours till the tank is on fumes..........hey bikes are fun.....supposed to be fun........take it easy.....enjoy the bike and life.........watch the scenery, how can you watch anything when trying to fight the group zipping along at 85? Yes take your time, stop at a roadside shop........stop at a truck stop..........organized fun always seems to somehow go south...........Kit

I am in SE Pa and have taken the ride you are thinking about. I guess alot depends on how big the group is, It takes longer to get a big group moving, fueled up, eating. 4-6 bikes should easily be able to do 200-300 miles in a day and still do some site-seeing, easily do more if you want to push it, Your ride sounds good, I would be interested. Craig

I like to crank the scoot point it in any direction and go until I get hungry, eat lunch and then start to work my way back home. Usually I have no destination, and that's when I can find some hole in the wall places with interesting stuff to see. I will usually put between 250 and 300 miles on a trip like this, which for me is just about every Saturday except during August.(just too hot)

Group riding is different and I would suggest a break every 75 miles or so. Find interesting sites along the way, scenic overlooks and such for individual and group picture taking. A nice place to eat along the way and if it's planned to be an overnight ride a hotel that everyone can stay at.

Just my thoughts.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Hey........well said.......someone with some sense!!! I am thinking about posting my viewpoints on group riding.......will do so one evening when I am not tired........I used to group ride a lot....now I dread it, and usually will not.......everyone wants to go 70 miles an hour which puts the rubber band to work in back of the pack at 85..........everyone wants to run three hours till the tank is on fumes..........hey bikes are fun.....supposed to be fun........take it easy.....enjoy the bike and life.........watch the scenery, how can you watch anything when trying to fight the group zipping along at 85? Yes take your time, stop at a roadside shop........stop at a truck stop..........organized fun always seems to somehow go south...........Kit

Good observation regarding group rides! This past riding season I did a lot of them with a local motorcycle club I joined. By the end of the season I came to the conclusion that it was more fun just riding around with 2-3 friends rather than a pack of 50. Lucky for me that I have at least 6 riding friends who feel the same way about group riding.

I don't think I would enjoy a large group as much as a group of half a dozen or so. But, like I said, I'm new to touring and group riding. We traded up from a Suzi Intruder which is not good for anything over 150 miles. My wife and I have been on many rides two up by ourselves. But I think it's time we get sociable!

A lot of good advice here and some funny comments.

I started riding with a group in Central Illinois with the Star Touring group (most of us also are here too).

They follow the speed limits mostly, and try to stop every hour to 1.5 hours. Since we have some spouses along two-up, it is good to stop a couple times in a day long enough to walk around and even do some shopping!

Plan 20-30 minutes per stop with most groups, time to get gas, something to drink or snack on, and stretch legs. For lunch plan an hour or more.

Leave plenty of free time in the schedule so if you go overtime on a stop (small bathrooms will slow things up!) :) that way you won't have to crank up the speeds to meet your next waypoint.

Great comment about the rubber band thing. I call it the slinky syndrome, where the tail gets whipped hard on any string of vehicles. You can plan on the tail bike or car of any caravan of say 10 or more, having to really speed up to keep up when the pack stretches and then contracts.

If in a group of 10 or more, keep lead bike speeds at or under the speed limit.

I was in a 100 car caravan as the leader once. I was told by the organizer to go 45- 50 mph on a 70 mph interstate, and keep speeds as steady as possible, and it worked great. That is an extreme example though.

My Nav & me like 2-300 miles for a good day ride, but we can stop as needed.

In groups, more stops are always necessary since someone will always have to pee when you don't, get thirsty after 20 mins, have to stretch 15 mins since last stop, get aspirin out of trunk, fix wedgy.........

If many are 2 up then you can double the number of reasons for stops. My Nav is a bit of a 'dainty' rider & enjoys a stop every hour, if possible.

The 'route' is always the difficult part to plan to:

1. Avoid traffic.

2. Enough potties at each stop.

3. Food, drink, fuel, etc., available at each stop.

4. Pre-flight instructions...single file turns, staggering, speeds, separation regroupings [traffic lights, cages, trucks].

5. Pre-arranged signals for those with no CB.

6. Known mobile phone service.

7. Paved detours for unexpected.

Overnight trips should also have weather gear, water, first-aid, tools, baling wire, duct tape, bungees, rope, flashlights, DOT 3, oil, reflectors, safe parking, scoot dealer or auto parts within reasonable distance.

Group can decide who carries what. I've been on many dozens of group rides & too often it's messed up by dumb stuff.

Who brought antihistamine? Sally's eye is swelling shut from a bug bite, etc., etc.

I always say thank God for the planners.

First time planners should probably keep miles/bike time down & stops/social time up.

The more stops you make, the shorter they will be.

Nothing wrong with several 5 minute stops.

All of the above. Any time I am on my bike it is a good ride. :cool10:

I'm with you. My wife and I prefer to ride alone. We still ride in small groups for a day ride or maybe overnight, but anything beyond that I avoid it like the plague. We had a great overnighter with 4 other couples to the Talimena Drive in Southeastern Ok&Ak. They were very laid back with limited control issues, great sense of humors. It is very rare to find even one other person to ride with that doesn't have a different Idea of when and where to stop and other like interests. It is also hard to relax while riding with a group no matter how their riding style if for no other reason having to pay attention to staying in staggered position and spacing with the bike in front of you. I have had more close calls with traffic in a group than riding alone or two up with my wife.

I am with the rest of you. I like going with a few friends, we know how each other rides and it is more relaxed. I also like when a new friend joins, but I don't care for the group to get too large.

We took 13 bikes and 16 people to Mountainview AR. last year and it worked out well. Drove the speed limit and did not do the slinky thingy. We stopped for gas at about 100-125 miles and EVERYBODY gased...worked well. JMHO

Small groups usually don't need as much planning. Doesn't take much to decide what the next stop will be. That said, a friend rode to Santa Fe with 2 other riders; by the time they got to the mountains he decided to leave the group. He's a photographer, and wanted to shoot photos around every corner. They were sporties, and wanted to run the curves as fast as possible.

Large groups need a lot of planning; possibly a saggin' wagon, too. Someone's bike is going to stop running, or someone will get hurt or tired... As stated, fuel, potty, & food stops take a lot of time. Some like to run 80mph, others like to poke along. It's still fun, but it's a lot of work to make it fun. Some want to get an Iron Butt ride in, some want to quit after the first 100 miles.

Does your group want to stop & smell the roses (or read the historical marker signs?) Or do you want to race to the hotel room, so you can all crack open a cold one? Do you want to eat economically, so you can spend all your cash shopping? Or go gourmet? Some want Super 8, others want the Hilton. If you're going to shop along the way, cut your distance to allow time.

Asking the questions now may save a friendship later. Or, if you know them really well, you'll know the answers to the questions now.

This past year, riding with Amy's scooter club, I found getting to know the other riders is most of the fun on a group ride. You can learn a little about them riding the twisties, but you learn a lot more at the stops. But the riding is much better when it's just a few of us.

Guest KitCarson

I was going to post something on group riding separate, but this seems to be all related and tied into the same theme. All good answers , and all complaints have surfaced it seems.

The main thing is to have several experienced riders in your groups. I say groups as if you have club riding stuff.....or large meet and eat rides......(not talking about big rallies or cause rides) where you may have 30 to 50 bikes. The groups should be split up into small groups of about 6 to 8 bikes per group. That in itself eliminates most of the rubber band effect and puts everyone at ease. That rubber band effect is the one thing that takes the most concentration and is the source of the most discontent in group rides. Split the group up into smaller groups and most all that is eliminated.....and stopping traffic on your own.......um.......okay.......but dangerous, and against the law........and there will be the occasional cager that just plain gets his day ruined. Better to be in small groups........control the group at stops and intersections and this way you can close files and all pass through the intersection as a small group.......stopping traffic is not needed. So you need a few more ride captains......and a set of directions for each....does not take long to set all that up.......about 15 minutes.

The rest of it is just common sense........and all depends on the length of the ride......but just do the speed limit.....stop and smell the roses, enjoy the country side......stop every hour or so, take a break, talk to your fellow riders.......get a drink.....take a photo or two.........if something of great interest is along the way......plan lunch there or something, spend some time there. I think somewhere between 200 and 300 miles is about the maximum you should try to cover in a day. Do it easy and enjoy it. I have rode with clubs that do this......it is a lot of fun, relaxed, you do not have to be totally concentrated on just riding.

Bottom line it takes a few minutes to split everyone up......and then just take it easy and stop often........it is just more fun that way, and a whole lot safer........if going for a two or three day jaunt.....contacts along the way in case of one of the bikes going down is good to have also. Just common sense, and back off that throttle!! Small groups are also safe, you can see everything going on. There is more to this.......but I think most of you already know these things.....just need to take time to do them.

Respectfully Kit

i like ride in's,camp grounds,local motels,two to three days,lot of bull,one or two rides,long or short,not a sport rider, print up sume mapp and,ride the roads,i realy like the eastern mountains,most any thing new,you post it and i will more than likly show up

:detective::whistling:

hey la where ya been lately ?been down to cracker barrel every day lookin for ya. lol next time ya come through give me a holler,and don't forget eureka springs.i need to go to walmart the long way. lol bill ps. linda said hi.:2133:

Halfwit,

I think all the comments are thoughts to ponder when planning a group ride.

• When you post your plans be sure to include the following:
  • Where to meet
  • Time to meet
  • Kickstands up at "X" time - (no exceptions..)
  • Show up at starting point with full tank of fuel
  • Go potty "BEFORE" we leave the starting point
  • Bring your prescription medicine
  • First stop will be at .......xxxxxxxx
  • First stop will be 15 minutes and then Kickstands Up at (x) time
  • First stop for gas & potty will be "X" number of miles (or aprox time)
  • Kick Stands up at
  • Second stop will be at.....xxxxxxx for 15 minutes
  • Kick stands up...
  • Thirds stop will be for lunch at .......xxxx

Print out your posting of when/ where/ time and "group expectations" (rules) and have copies available at the starting point.

Hand them out well in advance / prior to departing.

Make it "clear" the 1st stop will be in (x) miles (or XX minutes)

Make it clear that gas tank should be full NOW..prior to kick stand up time

As Popeye very well said:

In groups, more stops are always necessary since someone will always have to pee... when you don't, get thirsty after 20 mins, have to stretch 15 mins since last stop, get aspirin out of trunk, fix wedgy.........

However, once they accept your above instructions they already know your not stopping...

A good group of riders can ride 45 minutes to an hour before "Someone" has to make a stop for anything..

Again as Popey said:

The 'route' is always the difficult part to plan to:

1. Avoid conjestion & traffic.

2. Enough potties at each stop.

3. Food, drink, fuel, etc., available at each stop.

4. Pre-flight instructions...single file turns, staggering, speeds, separation regroupings [traffic lights, cages, trucks].

5. Pre-arranged signals for those with no CB.

6. Known mobile phone service.

7. Paved detours for unexpected.

Overnight trips should also have weather gear, water, first-aid, tools, baling wire, duct tape, bungees, rope, flashlights, DOT 3, oil, reflectors, safe parking, scoot dealer or auto parts within reasonable distance.

Group can decide who carries what. I've been on many dozens of group rides & too often it's messed up by dumb stuff.

Who brought antihistamine? Sally's eye is swelling shut from a bug bite, etc., etc. (I liked this one Popeye!!!! ha)

I always say thank God for the planners.

First time planners should probably keep miles/bike time down & stops/social time up. (I agree)

The more stops you make, the shorter they will be.

Nothing wrong with several 5 (or 10) minute stops.

Add a "link" of your choice, to your posting of "group riding rules", and ask those going on your ride read them over "BEFORE" they show up for your ride so they know YOUR expectations as the group leader.

Choose a well experienced rider to be your tail gunner (rubber band) in back..and he/ she must have a CB to talk with you the leader at all times.

I think by all the posts here, you have a good idea on what your up to...

I wish you luck on your plans and wish I could ride with you.

Guest KitCarson

Hi Eck: You have brought up the final point......yes the Captain must set some ground rules. Show up with a full tank of fuel.........be surprised how many do not......leave them one time........they will learn. That is just simple courtesy to the rest of the group. Hey I wish I could go on the Spring ride you all are planning, but no way I can get loose for 8 days (thats what it would be for me) Hope you all have a great time. Take Care Kit

hey la where ya been lately ?been down to cracker barrel every day lookin for ya. lol next time ya come through give me a holler,and don't forget eureka springs.i need to go to walmart the long way. lol bill ps. linda said hi.:2133:

doing maintance on both bikes,also got to get throse ducks back in a row,keep looking thro:confused24:

Great thread and ECK hit it on the money.

The one thing that ticks me off on a group ride is the rudeness of the people that show up for a nice leisurely ride, knowing the rules, and have no gas and want to do 100mph with no regard for safety and the others in the group(why show up)

The best group rides we have been on are the ones the ride captains have given out rules and they set the pace.

Stops every hour or so, with potty breaks, a good lunch and a nice dinner with a good hotel.

If they know the rules and show up then they know what to expect.

There supposed to be there for the camaraderie and joy of the ride.

If you put it together with the A-B-C's they will come.............Ron

Hi Eck: You have brought up the final point......yes the Captain must set some ground rules. Show up with a full tank of fuel.........be surprised how many do not......leave them one time........they will learn. That is just simple courtesy to the rest of the group. Hey I wish I could go on the Spring ride you all are planning, but no way I can get loose for 8 days (thats what it would be for me) Hope you all have a great time. Take Care Kit
hey kit you have plenty of time to get ready for the eureka springs meet in sept..hope to see you there. it will be a real hoot.bill :)