IGNORED

Headlight indicator on LCD screen always on

The headlight indicator in the monitor on my 1983 XVZ12TK is always on when I use low-beam. The headlamp itself is on and it shines brightly, but the indicator in the monitor LCD is on and, of course, so is the flashing red LED. On high-beam, no problem. I want the red LED to warn me of real trouble. I don't want to become so accustomed to its flashing that I ignore it. So, I use high-beam all the time and crank the lamp down with the manual up-down knob to a reasonably level just to keep that annoying red LED from flashing.

What I can't figure out is why this should be so. :confused: I've changed headlamps, and no change in behavior. If you have a clue, I'd love to hear it. :detective:

Sounds like time to find the posts for resoldering the connections in the CMU.

Yamy had issues with soldering way back then.

This is a common issue and is not a difficult fix, if you know how to solder on a PC board. But it is somewhat time consuming to get to.

This is interesting. I'm going to ask what are the dash indicator lights doing during this? Does the white low beam failure light come on along with the monitor when running the low beam? Does the blue high beam light come on when on high?

Curious.

Wonder if white RLU indicator light is also on in low beam? I would still suspect bad connections internal the CMS, but the Reserve Lighting Unit is lighting the low beam that you see(suspect really lighting the high beam when you are switched into low beam) as designed.

Heres my CMS repair/mod/wiring diagram from testing

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58292

Maybe someone did a manual splice to keep low beam on. A few years back my 83TK low beam would just go out - no warning display at all. Then it came back on. Happened again a year later. I traced power through all the switches and relays to the computer box - but no power came out from there to the lite. I did a manual splice to make the lite shine triggering warning lite symptoms identical to what you discribe.

I think there may be some kind of warning if the reserve light unit is malfunctioning. Try switching to another reserve light unit and see if that helps. They sometimes show up on ebay for very little or maybe someone has one they can loan you. I will check if I have a spare.

RandyA

I think the CPU soldering may be the problem. Oddly, sometimes when I switch to low beam after riding a while, the problem is not present. The white light on the dash is not involved here. It's always off, so some circuit knows the low beam is working, and some other circuit doesn't. I'm guessing the CPU solder, now that I've had some messages about a similar experience. Thanks. And I do know how hard it is to get to it. I replaced some of the dash indicator bulbs recently. It's a ***** to get to even that place, but getting further, which resoldering would require, is going to be worse. :depressed: