IGNORED

Installing Kuryakyn ISO grips

Ordered the Kuryakyn grips #6240 for my 2009 Venture along with the Throttle Boss gadget that goes with them. Dealer just called and they have arrived.

My mechanical expertise is not that great and I ain't just being modest :)

Is this removal of the old and installation of the new grips something that I might attempt or should I have the service department do it?

Back in the '60's it was so easy to change cables, grips, exhaust systems etc. :backinmyday:Heck back then I could, and did, even de-carbon my H2 triple. But this Venture ain't nothing like my old Matchless, R.E., Triumph, Kawasaki or even the Honda GL-500 I had. I sure don't want to get started on something I can't finish :no-no-no:

I searched for pictorials here on the job and did not find anything.

It's fairly simple and I believe instructions come with the grips. I did mine and I had instructions from somewhere .... but I think also that somebody here has posted instructions as well....but I could be mistaken on that... I was mistaken once before :smile5:

There are instructions in the package (confusing instructions). I also have verbal instructions from friends and I have also just found out that possibly these are the wrong grips #6240 but should be #6235. I think I have to exchange them.

Check out these links

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLZaQH1O8M]YouTube - Kuryakyn ISO Grip Video Install 6235 Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Victory[/ame]

http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/_Kuryakyn-ISO-Grip-Install-6235/video/270588/22960.html

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7nyMRnBIM]YouTube - Kuryakyn ISO Grip Install 6235 - Cruiser Customizing - Video - your bike, your world, shared passion.flv[/ame]

You are going to want to get the end weights for the grips that match your grips. You will get that tingling feeling in the hands if you don't

FYI ... I adapted my stock end weights by simply grinding out the hole in the Kuryakin grips so it was big enuf.

You can do it, but get the correct grips, the 35's. buddy of mine tried the 40's didnt work . order the end weights. you wont be sorry. much smoother. The way I look at these jobs, I might not be as quick as some people. I just make sure that I have no time constraints, and alot of good music and beer.:rotf:

Success!! I used the video to bolster my confidence. Noted the slight difference between the bike in the video and my Venture and.....

This morning I removed the OEM grips, installed the Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235) and the Throttle Boss. Fired it up, everything seemed to work ok, took it for a test ride and found the following:

1. The very slight throttle hesitation as I twisted the throttle was gone. I guess I got the adjustment just right (??)

2. I find no vibration/buzz at all without the end weights. I am going to order and install them anyway, just because I like the way the grips look in pictures with them installed.

3. The money saved by doing it myself more than paid for my VRO subscription!!

:):):)

I installed a new set of grips on my 09 about a year ago. I intended to put the end weights on at some point but never did and frankly I don't see what good it would do anyway, so I'll leave them off..

The ISO grips were the first mod I did after getting my RSTD. No end weights yet, but think I'll get them, if only for the looks. I don't notice any vibration without them.

A trick I learned from another site (and have used on 3 different bikes) is to use aerosol hair spray to "glue" on the left grip. It works great, you have no time constraints when installing it, after a couple hours it's gotten tacky enough where you can't twist the grip (except maybe on an extremely hot day), and you can easily remove them if you wish without destroying them.

The Kuryakyn bar weights are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I've put about 150 miles on without the weights and have not noticed any vibration. I have noticed that my hands have been cramp free, I'm attributing that to the slightly larger size of the new grips.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the encouragement, the video links and the general comments.

• 2 months later...

I have installed these along with the Kurykayn end weights and the contured throttle boss and love them....EXCEPT...I am getting the tingly feeling on the throttle hand only and my hand is going numb. :depressed:

My stock rear, a D404 is cupped pretty bad and I am replacing them this week. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. I hope so cause I really like the grips :fingers-crossed-emo.

Anyone else experience this?