IGNORED

Where is the best place to see Redwoods in N. California?

Midrsv

We're headed to the Oregon and N. California coast this summer and I am trying to do a little planning. On the map it appears that there are several redwood state and national parks. Which ones to visit for seeing the big trees? We're hope to hug the coast as much as possible before we turn east to Yosemite.

Dennis

Dennis,

While you are hugging the coast, you would be hard to beat Redwood National Park north of Eureka on 101. But my favorite is south of Yosemite in Sequoia National Park, but is not that easy to get to from Yosemite.

Hope this helps,

Rick

We're headed to the Oregon and N. California coast this summer and I am trying to do a little planning. On the map it appears that there are several redwood state and national parks. Which ones to visit for seeing the big trees? We're hope to hug the coast as much as possible before we turn east to Yosemite.

Dennis

Thanks for the info. It looks like we'll definitely ride the Avenue of Giants. I would really like to make it to Sequoia Natl Park but we just don't have enough time. From Yosemite we'll to express down to Vegas so the ladies can catch a plane ride home.

Is there anything else we should be sure to see along the coast? What about Coos Bay, OR?

Dennis

Been a few decades since I've been to Coos Bay. I don't recall much there to see. But there is Bandon Oregon where the famous Bandon Dunes Golf Courses are at. You might enjoy having lunch or dinner at the Golf Courses Resturants for the view are usually really nice over looking the Greens. Being the courses are so close to the ocean there might even be ocean view. I myself have not been to Bandon since the Golf Courses were built a few years ago.

You're gonna love that ride! We have made this ride three years in a row we like it so much. One tip we learned, is that if you're doing it in the summer months, go on a weekday during the early part of the day and that will greatly reduce the frustration of the crowds. The Avenue of the Giants is meant to be leisurely cruised and enjoyed. But, I think that being stuck behind a long line of motor-homes would not be quite as fun.

Here's a little teaser video of that ride that I made from last year's trip:

Be Safe!

Pete.

this is a picture of one of our stops while riding the "Avenue of the Giants" a couple of years ago. It is amazing! We rode down from Coos Bay along the coast almost to San Fran and then east to Yosemite.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/3783064247_57b81ef59d.jpg

It's been too many years since we made that run. But I recall that there was a place along 101 where you could stop and see the sea lion colonies.

OK. Just Googled it. The Sea Lion Caves are 11 miles North of Florence, OR.

Edited by Black Owl

this is a picture of one of our stops while riding the "Avenue of the Giants" a couple of years ago. It is amazing! We rode down from Coos Bay along the coast almost to San Fran and then east to Yosemite.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/3783064247_57b81ef59d.jpg

That is about the same route we are planning. We do plan to go over the golden gate bridge.

Do you have any other tips ?

Dennis

Dennis,

The Avenue of the Giants is north of Redscrest. But the bigger trees are south of Cresent in the Redwood National Park. And you can't go wrong with any of the area on 101 north of Cresent City which hugs the coast and runs all the way to Coos Bay.

Have fun,

Rick

Thanks for the info. It looks like we'll definitely ride the Avenue of Giants. I would really like to make it to Sequoia Natl Park but we just don't have enough time. From Yosemite we'll to express down to Vegas so the ladies can catch a plane ride home.

Is there anything else we should be sure to see along the coast? What about Coos Bay, OR?

Dennis

Yea, Don't go over the Golden Gate bridge. :whistling::rotf: It ain't gold its red primer...:rotf:

That was really an ugly color, but not as ugly as the line of traffic waiting to cross it! Took us over 2 hours to get through the toll booth at 7:30 pm :bang head:

Be Safe!

Pete.

Nina & I went that route on our way down to SLO & Los Osos for a Venture West rally. Unfortunately, it was quite foggy and wet at that time.

You're gonna love that ride! We have made this ride three years in a row we like it so much. One tip we learned, is that if you're doing it in the summer months, go on a weekday during the early part of the day and that will greatly reduce the frustration of the crowds. The Avenue of the Giants is meant to be leisurely cruised and enjoyed. But, I think that being stuck behind a long line of motor-homes would not be quite as fun.

Be Safe!

Pete.

Great video Pete. I watched almost all of it. That has always been something that I would absolutely love to do. I love those giant Redwood trees. Thank you for sharing. Would like to have seen some close ups of those wonderful trees.:smile11:

Dennis

Some of the Tallest trees are at Humboldt Redwoods state park in Humboldt county and some of the largest in volume are in Jebediah Smith Redwoods state park in Del Norte County, the two Northern most counties. on the coast.

But some of the oldest are at Big Basin park just South of San Jose. If you are coming from the South along the coast on PCH, you just turn right on US9 and you go right through it. Years back we started in San Diego, drove up the coast, through Big Basin and ended in San Jose.

I have never made it to the biggest or tallest, but trees in Big Basin were so tall I doubt I could tell the difference if I saw a taller tree in person. The ones at Big Basin were so tall they just seemed to disappear out of sight.