IGNORED

On a more plesant topic, HID installed

wes0778

My HID headlight came in Friday, from Canadian Custom :)

Got out yesterday afternoon and installed it. The hardest part was getting the HID bulb in to the headlight bucket. I had to take the two bolts holding the frame in place, out, to get that long bulb installed. (note to self :whistling: don't forget the rubber seal ring around the back of bucket!!!). Then where to mount the power supply? Well there is an empty flat place (looking AT the bike) on the left. Thinking double sided emblem mounting tape, but not sure of the heat. :confused24: Really don't wanna drill holes in the fairing, so lemme call the expert! I guess great minds run in the same circles (Thanks Squid!!!). So I mounted it with the tape right in that spot. Since I already have a "fused" power wire run from the battery to a switch (that picture did not turn out) all I had to do was connect the large power supply wire for the HID light to that switch. Woo Hoo didn't have to pull the tank!!! :cool10:

I did run in to one "bump in the road", the red power supply wire pulled out of the fuse holder (insufficient crimping) that is supplied with the light kit. A quick trip to Autozone and that was taken care of.

MAN, that sucker is BRIGHT!!!:178:

The pictures don't show it, but it makes the stock passing light bulbs look like yellow fog lights:(.

Squid put the HID on my scoot last year and I am very happy with its performance....both day and night use.

The only question to be answered is the longevity of the HID bulb....And I'm thinking of getting an extra HID bulb from CC just to be covered.

Boomer....who sez even 6 pygmies waving road flares on the scoot can't compete with the HID visibility to the Cagers. :cool10:

Squid put the HID on my scoot last year and I am very happy with its performance....both day and night use.

The only question to be answered is the longevity of the HID bulb....And I'm thinking of getting an extra HID bulb from CC just to be covered.

Boomer....who sez even 6 pygmies waving road flares on the scoot can't compete with the HID visibility to the Cagers. :cool10:

Most HID bulbs are rated at 3000 hours. The normal Quartz Halogen have an expected 750 hour life.

So where is everyone buying their lights and how much are they costing?

Mine was about $50 from HID Country.

It's fitted to my Triple. If I fit one to the VR I would investigate fitting a full projector headlight inside the original Yamaha unit.

That involves removing the glass, but should be doable.

+1 on HID Country.

The H3 set that I picked up for my driving lights is also from HID Country for $37 for the 2 light SET.

Pictures???? Part Number??? :confused24:

Edited by wes0778

+1 on HID Country.

The H3 set that I picked up for my driving lights is also from HID Country for $37 for the 2 light SET.

Do these replace the standard Driving lights or are they different lights all together ? Is there one or two ballasts?

Brad

+1 on HID Country.

I got my driving lights from Walmart. They were $18 for the set and are 55W.

I don't know how well they will perform. They are not PIAAs, but they cost less than a PIAA bulb, and have had very good reviews.

Do these replace the standard Driving lights or are they different lights all together ? Is there one or two ballasts?

Brad

I have a 1st gen so there is no "standard" driving light. I do not know what type of bulb the driving lights on a 2nd gen use.

I will be using the KC HiLites 35 series driving lights, (I should :fingers-crossed-emo get them tonight).

I have these same lights on my truck and really like them. The beam pattern is somewhere in-between a driving light and a fog light. Part of the lens is focused for distance like a driving light, and part to light up the shoulder to spot critters like a fog light. These come with 55W halogen bulbs but I will replace the halogens with the new 35W HID. The HID that I got does have 2 ballasts. I got the H3 bulbs in the 6000K color.

My headlight is The Bi-Xenon H4 bulb 6000K color.

So where is everyone buying their lights and how much are they costing?

I got my light from Canadian Cruiser Customizing:

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=kg6dq88csadse45fe7r3cfntu7

Our headlights are the H4 kit. The HID kits put out 3200 lumens compared to the 980 lumens of our normal halogen headlamp. But the real advantage is it only takes 35 watts to run the HID compared to the 55/65 watts of the halogen. Great to get the 20 watts back for GPS, phone charger, etc. This kit is also a high and low beam, so even if you don't get this kit, make sure the one you buy has a high/low beam. Both high and low are 35W, but at 3200 lumens, the high is still crazy bright. Also, there are many different colors to choose from. Most HID's we see on cars are the 6000K with a hint of blue, but I wouldn't recommend that one. For safety reasons, I got the 5000K, bright-white light. This one is easier to see in the daylight and the same lumens as 6000K. The reason the hint of blue was not my choice is because it is almost identical to natural sunlight...so it actually blends into the daylight. And I put my ballast behind the plastic covers just above the ignition. Plenty of room.

Brad

If you want to convert your driving lights to HID, you will have to get different housings designed for halogen replacement bulbs, the H3 bulb. And yes, each bulb has it's own ballast...lots of wires.

Also, I would recommend the 5000K lights because they are the very best for being seen in the daytime...and they still have a very small hint of blue. I know this because my brother has a roadstar with the 6000K where my RSTC has the 5000K. Really no difference at night, but a noticable difference in daylight.

*snip*

MAN, that sucker is BRIGHT!!!:178:

The pictures don't show it, but it makes the stock passing light bulbs look like yellow fog lights:(.

Did you happen to test the aiming? My CCC HID was aimed feet too high after a simple switch out. :2cents:

Dave

Did you happen to test the aiming? My CCC HID was aimed feet too high after a simple switch out. :2cents:

Dave

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

What Dave said.

My aiming was way off after the HID switch.

I even found that My aiming changed just switching brand of the old halogens.

It is so easy, and important, to just check the aim after any kind of headlight work, even just taking it out and putting it back in.