IGNORED

New Rider Question.......

Guest reggiepelletier

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard somewhere that it takes a 1000 miles to get used to a new scoot and be comfortable with it, and they got it just about right. Get used to it single before you add the extra body and teach the passenger all about lean, when to and when not to. Tell her she should be just a bag of wheat strapped into the back seat and to sit very quite at low speeds, no turning of the head or leaning of the head either. You'd be surprised how much it will through you off at low speed if she turns her head.

Hey Sarge!

you mentioned teaching the "boss" (rider I assume) :) how to get off in a tip-over.

I have never heard of a method for that, but can't say I looked that much.

Would you mind going over the procedure for both riders on a slow speed tip over? I assume high speeds are just hope for the best?

My wife and I went over when my royale hiccuped and stalled taking off from our house this summer. I stepped out and was OK, banged my right ankle on something, but the wife just tried to stay on the seat and I grabbed her leg and eased her to the ground. Worked OK, but was there a better way?

Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's safety course, then Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice what they teach!!!!!!

If you click the text above you will go to the MSF site..

And don't forget to Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice...

Guest KitCarson
I've heard that adjusting the suspension makes a difference in handling for 2 up, does that also have an affect for low speed maneuvers?
Hi: When I speak of low speed handling.......and new riders or old.......I am talking about parking lot handling......slooooooowwwww speed....!!! I am not talking about leaning the bike around the pylons and riding the rear brake and throttle at the same time......I am talking about low speed handling.......like come to a full stop and turn the bike around in the street. Slow and easy......no leaning....just turn the handle bars (magic!!) Less air.....more air..no air......adjust this......adjust that.......change the tire.....do not change the tire.......makes not one bit of difference......at LOW speed handling. Now if you want to run the back road and twistys and carry a load......air in the rear shock is a help . Front ones.......I have tried about everything with them.......more air.....somewhat smoother ride two up....but lose touch with the front tire..........so I run it no air. Big difference in parking lot low speed handling and running the pylons in a demonstration show. Respectfully Kit

Hi: When I speak of low speed handling.......and new riders or old.......I am talking about parking lot handling......slooooooowwwww speed....!!! I am not talking about leaning the bike around the pylons and riding the rear brake and throttle at the same time......I am talking about low speed handling.......like come to a full stop and turn the bike around in the street. Slow and easy......no leaning....just turn the handle bars (magic!!) Less air.....more air..no air......adjust this......adjust that.......change the tire.....do not change the tire.......makes not one bit of difference......at LOW speed handling. Now if you want to run the back road and twistys and carry a load......air in the rear shock is a help . Front ones.......I have tried about everything with them.......more air.....somewhat smoother ride two up....but lose touch with the front tire..........so I run it no air. Big difference in parking lot low speed handling and running the pylons in a demonstration show. Respectfully Kit

KIT , you've got to change your "user id"!!!

what you need to use, is an old INDIAN phrase, which i will translate, and type here for you!

"white man who jumps in front of the bus"!

lol

just jt

Guest KitCarson

what you need to use, is an old INDIAN phrase, which i will translate, and type here for you!

lol

just jt

Hi ya Hipshot..........I like to be in front of the bus.......keeps my reflexes up..........been sandbaggin a little too.....used to be motorcycle instructor ......military...........for a short time.......standin in front of the bus is good fer ya.......keeps ya sharp.........:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::sign20:

lol

just jt

BEEEP.....BEEEEEP!!! Here comes the BUS!

Hi: When I speak of low speed handling........................................................I am talking about low speed handling.......like come to a full stop and turn the bike around in the street. .................................................................................. Big difference in parking lot low speed handling and running the pylons in a demonstration show. Respectfully Kit

With all due respect, Kit, coming to a stop, turning the bike around in the street, low speed handling and running pylons in a demonstration are exactly the same......if you can't do one, you can't do the others.....and if you can do one with ease, you can do the others. It all has to do with being able to control your machine. And to turn the bike in a tight situation like a U-turn on a narrow road, it does help to be able to lean the bike over at a slow speed. Good luck keeping your feet up in that U-turn by just turning the handlebars and keeping the bike standing straight up!

Respectfully,

Guest KitCarson
BEEEP.....BEEEEEP!!! Here comes the BUS!

With all due respect, Kit, coming to a stop, turning the bike around in the street, low speed handling and running pylons in a demonstration are exactly the same......if you can't do one, you can't do the others.....and if you can do one with ease, you can do the others. It all has to do with being able to control your machine. And to turn the bike in a tight situation like a U-turn on a narrow road, it does help to be able to lean the bike over at a slow speed. Good luck keeping your feet up in that U-turn by just turning the handlebars and keeping the bike standing straight up!

Respectfully,

HI Ya Todd......got all that air swept out the garage yet!! I still smile when I think about that!!. Yea I know, I lean the bike too, and kinda gun it around the corner.......but the new riders are not like you and I......you know a little crazy!! They have a new Venture, which is a heavy machine, not like a Harley sportster or 350 honda......tis a bit heavy and just backing the thing out of the garage is a new experience for most folks with a new Venture. So to learn low speed handling.....safely.....I just tell them to go slow and turn the handlebars, keep both feet down, take it easy, learn. Those sharp corners from a stop and sitting for 10 to 15 seconds at a dead stop balanced, will all come with time.......but at first, slow and easy, just turn the handlebars.....talking slow Todd....not rolling, most folks drop a heavy bike turning it around in the parking lot, or trying to turn it around at the end of a dead end street......no one answer can deal with it all.........I am trying to concentrate on lollllllllllllllllwwww.......slowwww.....speed.........crawling along........to me there is slow speed manuavering(cannot spill) and I think that is what I am trying to describe , and just simply handling....new folks do not need to be leaning the bike learning to manuveur this thing around in the parking lot. Once they get used to it a bit..........they should go to a open parking lot and practice a bit.....builds confidence. Then they can sit up a cone or two and ride around it......lean it a bit......but leave the demo rides to the pros.......I even have to get into the rhythm of that each time I decide to play a bit. Kit

Hey that 1st gen you have.....handles a whole lot better than these new ones..........the new one is a a bit of a challenge at first, suppose I do not even think about it now......but first week I had it........it was a challenge. Got my pants leg caught in that large wire loop second day I had it.....almost dropped Crickett in the driveway!! Now I watch that wire loop!!!

Hey that 1st gen you have.....handles a whole lot better than these new ones..........the new one is a a bit of a challenge at first, suppose I do not even think about it now......but first week I had it........it was a challenge. Got my pants leg caught in that large wire loop second day I had it.....almost dropped Crickett in the driveway!! Now I watch that wire loop!!!

Well being a 1st Gen owner and a Harley Roadking rider I can say the Roadking is more manuverable at slow speeds. 2nd Gen pretty similiar to a Roadking couple inches longer about the same height. I would suspect I could do better slow manuvers on a 2nd Gen then my 1st Gen. 1st Gen comes with the linked brakes which hurts your slow speed manuvers by activating the front brake. I cant explain why it does but it does and I can feel the effects. I have delinked mine though but still not as manuverable as Roadking but its better.

So Kit I have to respectifully disagree I would think a 2nd Gen would be better at slow speeds. I practice in an empty parking lot and use parking spaces I try to keep the bike inside two parking spaces in a circle or I use spaces across from each other and do figure 8's inside 2 boxes on each side. I would also practice maximum braking. If a person is first learning take the MSF safety course its better then nothing but I dont think it prepares you enough for the street but it gives you ideas. Then get the ride like a pro video and any books on the subject I like the David Hough books and the Nick Ientasch books and practice the manuvers in there and do it on your own terms and comfort level and then push your self at the slow speed stuff as you gain more confidence.

Guest KitCarson

Well not today......not next month......but when it is time for new tires......I will show you all how to turn this big machine around in a six foot circle!! Kinda rough on tires though!! The first gen is more of a sport bike......and the fairing is stationary......just seems to handle much better to me......but we are all different......different weight......longer or shorter arms......and legs.....Hey you all do not have to say respectfully Kit!!! you can say hey dummie!!! :rotfl::rotfl::bighug:

Yes there are a whole lot of variables......I really do not even get concerned with variables and common sense is what I like to use......a little practice and any bike is easy to ride......everyone of them handles differently.......the biggest danger to an advanced rider, is the lack of caution on a new bike........get used to a 1200 Harley and hop on a Venture or BMW and rip up to the nearest corner.........um.........all of a sudden that bike is a mite heavy in the corner. Yes a lot of variables in all of it.

Well not today......not next month......but when it is time for new tires......I will show you all how to turn this big machine around in a six foot circle!! Kinda rough on tires though!! The first gen is more of a sport bike......and the fairing is stationary......just seems to handle much better to me......but we are all different......different weight......longer or shorter arms......and legs.....Hey you all do not have to say respectfully Kit!!! you can say hey dummie!!! :rotfl::rotfl::bighug:

Yes there are a whole lot of variables......I really do not even get concerned with variables and common sense is what I like to use......a little practice and any bike is easy to ride......everyone of them handles differently.......the biggest danger to an advanced rider, is the lack of caution on a new bike........get used to a 1200 Harley and hop on a Venture or BMW and rip up to the nearest corner.........um.........all of a sudden that bike is a mite heavy in the corner. Yes a lot of variables in all of it.

Yes switching bikes can lead to problems and during riding season I switch back and forth and there defintely a different feel between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading about these Ventures for some time and have offered up a couple of posts in the form of questions in order to learn some things. This evening I finally got to ride my first Venture. It was a very beautiful red one, and I came to test ride it with the hope of buying it very soon. I have sat on these Ventures in dealerships, but when I put it in gear, for the first time I had a true sensation of the weight. I must admit, I had a tinge of concern.

I didn't go even one half mile before I sensed some things I have read in this thread. A number of you have given fair warnings about the front brake and slow speeds and practicing driving in parking lots. I have to admit that those comments have given me pause. I am not disparaging the Venture, but some of the comments here I did not think were good news for people who are thinking of buying one. They were serious warnings. Several of you spoke of dropping it often and taking special care on the front brake while turning, etc. Well, you were right. As I approached stop signs, the bike seemed to wobble numerous times. It was the same feeling I used to get on my Gold Wing with 2-up when we approached a stop. It made both of us apprehensive. But I got that feeling with one up! You have suggested smaller tires and all kinds of fixes, but I have to tell you that the Venture is a bike that left me with deep-seated fear this evening. I don't think I have ever experienced that before. But I left there with the definite decision that the Venture was a motorcycle that I would never own.

Although one has to get used to any motorcycle, it seems to me that the warnings given here were serious.To those of you who love the Venture and would buy nothing else, so be it. Obviously, it satisfies many. But I finally got the answer I wanted from this site and had it validated. So I will buy another bike. I have talked with several of you, and you have been nice folks. But I am moving on. Thank you.

I have been reading about these Ventures for some time and have offered up a couple of posts in the form of questions in order to learn some things. This evening I finally got to ride my first Venture. It was a very beautiful red one, and I came to test ride it with the hope of buying it very soon. I have sat on these Ventures in dealerships, but when I put it in gear, for the first time I had a true sensation of the weight. I must admit, I had a tinge of concern.

I didn't go even one half mile before I sensed some things I have read in this thread. A number of you have given fair warnings about the front brake and slow speeds and practicing driving in parking lots. I have to admit that those comments have given me pause. I am not disparaging the Venture, but some of the comments here I did not think were good news for people who are thinking of buying one. They were serious warnings. Several of you spoke of dropping it often and taking special care on the front brake while turning, etc. Well, you were right. As I approached stop signs, the bike seemed to wobble numerous times. It was the same feeling I used to get on my Gold Wing with 2-up when we approached a stop. It made both of us apprehensive. But I got that feeling with one up! You have suggested smaller tires and all kinds of fixes, but I have to tell you that the Venture is a bike that left me with deep-seated fear this evening. I don't think I have ever experienced that before. But I left there with the definite decision that the Venture was a motorcycle that I would never own.

Although one has to get used to any motorcycle, it seems to me that the warnings given here were serious.To those of you who love the Venture and would buy nothing else, so be it. Obviously, it satisfies many. But I finally got the answer I wanted from this site and had it validated. So I will buy another bike. I have talked with several of you, and you have been nice folks. But I am moving on. Thank you.

dale.

i appreciate , your honest approach, and honest opinion, about these behemoths.

just because you ""decided against" a venture, doesn't mean that you aren't ALWAYS welcome here!

we , as a group, ride all different makes and models, so you will still fit in, regardless of what you decide to ride!

just jt

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey can I ask, what is your physical size? As Roy D. Mercer used to say, How big a boy are ya?

The Venture is not for those who are inseam challenged...and I'm guessing that most riders of the Venture are at least 5'8" or so, with some 'mass' of their own to be able to handle the bike.

I have seen small women riding the Boss Hoss, but of course it sits lower in the saddle, and is actually easy to ride. ( I didnt say it was easy to pick up!)

I'm 6'0" and about 220 and I have no problems...if your somewhere in this size range, you should be able to 'grow' into it. Experience on the bike helps alleviate those fears...but I understand if you buy something a bit more manageable. Good luck!

Guest KitCarson

I have been wanting to say this for awhile, seems like a good place to do it.

Do not let us scare you away from the Venture or any other large nice touring bike. All this stuff on this site is quite helpful and great with things such as technical issues. All this other stuff like smaller tires, brake problems, this and that.....hey you know what, it is all Crap!!(can I say that word?) Actually the brakes on these machines are great, some of us just like to play with things and get into big discussions over mole hills and make mountains!!. Everyone on here is very opinionated, myself included, but we are veterans that is why a symbol like this is available:stickinouttounge:do not agree! Give em one of these!!

Any large bike takes a little getting used to, they are all a little top heavy, actually I would not call it top heavy, just different at first. All of them take time to learn to balance at the stops. It does not take long to learn to do all this, just take it easy and learn at your own pace, and as far as comfort......hey the Venture and the Harley are very comfortable bikes, each unique in its own way.

Whichever one you buy.........have fun!! These big bikes are lots of fun, but honestly if you put them all in a sack and shake them up, the actual learning experience to ride one of them.......is the same. Kit

I have been riding since I was fourteen years old. It never took over a month or two to get used to a new bike until I got my 05 venture. I ride 2 up most of the time and it took me a year of riding before I got really comfortable with the handling. When I would back up I would have my wife get off the bike but now I can back up with her on it with no problem. When I would come to a stop at a traffic light I would wobble until stopped. It wasn't a pretty sight. Now I can come to a stop and never wobble. It just took a lot of practice. The best thing to do is to get rid of the stock bridgestone tires as soon as possible. When I took the stock bridgestones off it was like going from manual steering to power steering. I don't have the leveling links and wouldn't recommend them or the smaller front tire. I installed the leveling links for 2 days and removed them. I believe I can handle my bike now as good as anyone without the leveling links or smaller front tire. It just takes time riding to get used to the bike.

The wife and I are still shoping and comparing and learning.

We are more concerned about weight than anything else.

We want comfort for two and weather protection.

If we go big we're leaning toward a reverse gear in our opinion so far.

If we use our heads/brains we may decide on maxi-scooters instead of tour bikes because they offer all we actually really need for real world power, comfort, touring ability, etc.

Shoping is fun.

Guest tx2sturgis
The wife and I are still shoping and comparing and learning.

We are more concerned about weight than anything else.

We want comfort for two and weather protection.

If we go big we're leaning toward a reverse gear in our opinion so far.

If we use our heads/brains we may decide on maxi-scooters instead of tour bikes because they offer all we actually really need for real world power, comfort, touring ability, etc.

Shoping is fun.

Have you considered a trike? Trikes are a blast to drive, and I prefer the rear engine style, like the VW engine powered trikes...you can get some really nice ones...I have a freind who builds them cheap for those on a budget...I mean were talking around $6000 to $10000 for a custom built one, all the way up to something like the RoadHawk trikes, and of course then you can look at the V8 powered machines, but those get REALLY expensive.

http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/roadhawk.php

I took a RoadHawk trike on a demo ride a few years ago, it had the high output motor and 3 speed auto...full fairing and radio...luggage boxes and racks...trailer hitch...spare tire carrier...damn it was nice...and the ride...wow! That thing was a friggin blast!

Only thing...they aint cheap!

It seems like some of you are just kicking tires, not sure of what they want, and maybe past the point of wanting a big machine that can flop over...and I just thought I'd throw some ideas at the folks that are shopping around.

I'm not a big fan of motorcycles 'converted' to trikes...but I guess each to his own.

Reggie, I'm a Tampa native and started riding late (I was 53). The Venture was my first bike. Everyone said I was crazy starting out on such a beast. I did have a hard time feeling compfortable at first. I knew I needed help and found the Palladino tapes on the net. Please,please look at them, they probably saved my life. I have his three tapes and DVD's and you're welcome to borrow them. Let me know. Mike emikecollins@verizon.net