IGNORED

Trip to Bingemans next July

duke

We need some advice.

StarRider and I will be attending the Rally at KW next July and will be travelling through the states.

We will be stopping in Minneapolis to see friends and then south through the Chicago area. Is there a way around Chicago so that we can miss the toll roads. Or is it better to take the more direct route through Chicago.

We would probably pick up 94 in Indiana, and then into Michagan to Detroit.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Good idea avoiding Chicago Wayne. However if you ever feel the need for the pure excitement of absolute chaos then go that way! It is the most excitement you can get for a couple bucks toll fees!

We did that going to Southbend a couple years ago, never again!

The route I will suggest may be a bit longer time wise but its gotta be nicer riding.

Just north a little of Mpl/StP is a highway 8. Take that east to highway 2. Take highway 2 east to St.Ignace. Then if you must have interstate take highway 75 south all the way to Flint Mich.

hang a east on highway 69 and go to Sarnia crossing. This turns into the infamous 400series....402 to 401 Kitchner/Waterloo.

We (if we go and are trying hard to) will be going highway 2 pretty much the whole way to St.Ignace. Gotta stop and see Gary and Ann on the way!

Hey Wayne, there's no real good way around Chicago. We went through there several times this last summer, always exciting....NOT! If you don't want to take Sarges46's route try pming either Moose, Stardbog or Wakeboard. They live in Chicago or very close and deal with that all the time. It also depends on what time of day you go through. Good luck and hopefully we'll see you in Kitchener next year. I know I can get the time off but it depends on whether sue can.

Kevin

Is there a way around Chicago so that we can miss the toll roads. Or is it better to take the more direct route through Chicago.

There's not a good way to miss any tollways. Coming from Wisconsin it will either be I-90 or I-94. The latter is a little longer, but has less tollway. But, goodness, right through Chicago? Try to time it at before 6:30 a.m. and you may make it without hitting the really heavy traffic. I did that going west from Michigan, hitting south Chicago at 6:30. Busy, but tolerable.

Better yet, just drive straight east to Manitowoc and take the ferry to Ludington.

I get the picture that it may be best if we bypass Chicago all together.

We may not visit Minneapolis, and instead pick up 2 at Grand Forks and go the north side of the lake.

Thanks everyone for the input. Nice to have people with experience give advice.

Lots of time to decide. I had thought it would be nice to see some of Chicago even if it was from the freeways (tollways)

Anyone know how much the tolls would be for two bikes and a camper trailer?

We are used to the freeways in Phoenix as we winter there. But the drivers seem pretty good. I guess it's because if they are not good they get shot.

Hope to see everyone at KW next year looks like Reiny and the crew have some interesting times planned for us.

Wayne

Wayne

Dig out the map and have a close look at the route I suggested. It would be a bit out of the way to get back north a little to higway 8. But its really not that far I think. The way I put down takes you over the north side of Lake Michigan like someone else mentioned.

Then you can see your friends in the twin cities.

The tolls arent really wallet killers..I'm gonna guess around a max of 6 bucks each bike. Thats presuming they raised the price since we were on them last (3years ago).

The real problem is the traffic. If you like semis on your butt at 70 mph and I do mean on your butt...then go through Chicago. Oy ya and bumper to bumper traffic!

Wayne I'd take that #2 route when ever I travel the states ...but you'll find there isn't much to see though the upper UP of Mich. other then trees LOL but it's still nicer then Chicago ....I've done both and I like that way the best(2) ...then you can come down and threw Sarina ... be careful on I75 and the pot holes ....

If you're travelling along I-80 from west to east through Illinois, there is one 80 cent toll. If you're coming down from Wisconsin, the price of tolls is probably in the $10.00 range. If you can follow the Mississippi river between Illinois and Iowa, it's not only a beautiful ride, but it will get you to I-80 and the aforementioned 80 cent toll. Taking I-80 through Illinois keeps you south of Chicago and all of that "horrible" traffic all those "country" folk keep harping about:stirthepot:. Once you cross into Indiana, you'll have an adventerous ride past Hammond/Gary area, but it calms down pretty quick. Keep in touch as the date nears.