IGNORED

What have I done?

cakeman

Picked the new bike up from the dealership on Thursday, on the ride home I thought it was running a bit on the lumpy side but put it down to not being run much since it was imported from the US. When I got home I checked the temperature coming from the header pipes and the rear left was a lot cooler than the other three so first thing Friday morning I rang the dealer who told me he had no vans in the area to pick it up so I offered to ride it back for them to have a look at (only about 25 miles from me). On inspection they first reckoned it was a spark plug breaking down under load, then after further investigation discovered it was an intermittent fault with the coil, so after nearly three hours hanging around the shop they fitted a new ignition coil and handed it back to me, was I annoyed? Naaah, these things happen. Anyway the bike ran ok on the way home, it just felt like it needed the carbs balancing......you know, a little hesitant on the throttle and a little vibration through the footpegs, I wasn't too worried as the dealer wanted me to drop It back the following week as they had to fit a non genuine coil to get me going and were ordering a genuine Yamaha part as soon as the Easter holidays were over so I thought they could sort it out then. Didn't get a chance to use the bike yesterday because of work but I'd arranged a breakfast run for this morning, so I went out this morning to start her up and she's sounding a bit rough, so I ran her round for about 15 minutes and when I get her back guess what? The rear RIGHT cylinder is stone cold........am I annoyed now? Oh yes I sure am......So I get underneath the bike to have a look and make sure the connections to the coils are ok (which they are), but I notice that that the coil for the rear right cylinder is only held on by the bottom mounting bolt.....the top one is missing because the coil doesn't fit the mounting holes correctly and there is a gap of about half an inch. So thats where I am up to now, stuck at home on a lovely spring day.

How is Royal Star ownership going so far? You don't want to know http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smilies/icon_censored.gif

If the dealership is open tomorrow (public holiday here) he's not going to know what hit him. http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif

Starting to wish I'd kept my Roadliner now.

Rich http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smilies/soap.gif

As far as not running quite right after coil replacement, I had that same issue a little over a year ago. Right rear coil died, and I rode it ten miles home to diagnose, and another 30 to the dealer to replace #3 coil under warranty. Didn't run quite right for a thousand miles or so after, and crappy fuel milage.

I figured that running it with just raw fuel pumping in and out for 40 miles washed out the cylinder and screwed up the ring seal.

I had done a hard run (70 mph for about 40 miles) getting around Minneapolis, and all the sudden it felt fine again. I think it finally broke in that cylinder seal again, and it's been fine now for another 16,000 miles.

For what it's worth, Scooter Bob

Edited by Scooter Bob

Sorry to hear of your problems. In my opinion, it is a dealer problem more than a bike problem. Things can happen. A plug or coil can go bad or many other things. The fact that the dealer just threw a coil on it that is obviously not the correct one and apparently not working shows that they are not very professional. It would be one thing if they told you that they did not have the proper coil and were going to get one ordered and try a different one while waiting but that is not what they did. I would be very suspect of any work they do on it in the future.

Oops, I missed that part about them putting on some other coil, and then going to put the right one on next week.

When you get the right one on there, and you know it's running on all four again (but not quite right), put her on the train under the channel, then ride her down to the AutoBahn and then run her hard and fast for a while to get those rings seated again, and all could be well on the ride back to the train.:thumbsup2:

And keep those carbs synced, you got your own meter? I used to sync mine every 10,000 or so, but did it several time when that cylinder was weak. Once that cylinder sealed back up, milage came up instantly, and back to routine carb sync frequency.

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

OOPS...I missed that part also. uh....please disregard what I said about the dealer...they DID tell you. Sorry about that. :(

So, I'll just say that it sounds like they did good by you. A lot of shops would have just told you that the bike would not be available until the new parts came in. They went the extra mile and tried to get you riding instead of waiting. Apparently it didn't work out but they made an effort that many would not have.

So, I'll just say that it sounds like they did good by you. A lot of shops would have just told you that the bike would not be available until the new parts came in. They went the extra mile and tried to get you riding instead of waiting. Apparently it didn't work out but they made an effort that many would not have.

I have to agree with the Boss here, at least they tried to help.:thumbsup2:

Most shops don't seem to understand that for some of us, not having a bike on a sunny day, any sunny day, is a BIG PROBLEM. :bang head:

There's just too many out there that think it's just no big deal to drop a bike off and wait a week for an oil change.:doh:

Just my :2cents:, Scooter Bob

I hear what you're saying guys and I did appreciate the way the shop put itself out to get me back on the road when I took the bike back but how did the mechanic miss that the other coil was mounted incorrectly (by only one bolt, and that's the one that appears to have failed now) when they are situated right next to each other? Also this machine was supposed to have had a complete service before I collected it. In their defense I've had four bikes from them in the past and never had any problems with them......Oh well, suppose it's just one of those things...:confused24:

While I haven't done this on one of my Yamahas, I did run a 650cc Triumph Trophy on a Suzuki coil when one of the Lucas coils went out on the road. It ran just fine for several years thereafter that way.

A Lucas Electric part going bad???? Say it isn't so.... Never heard of that happening.....

(Owned a couple of MGs and a Jaguar - Lucas Electric is the prince of darkness).

RR

Hi Rich

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My 2005 had coil problems on the rear 2 when I got it used.

Got a set off ebay and switched them out and changed the plugs ( no problems after that ) IMO they picked a bad place to mount the reat coils. They get a lot of water and road dirt where they are.

BTW you should have your new addition for your ride on Tues. or Wend. Hope you like it.

Ride Safe

Steve

Hi Rich

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My 2005 had coil problems on the rear 2 when I got it used.

Got a set off ebay and switched them out and changed the plugs ( no problems after that ) IMO they picked a bad place to mount the reat coils. They get a lot of water and road dirt where they are.

BTW you should have your new addition for your ride on Tues. or Wend. Hope you like it.

Ride Safe

Steve

Cheers Steve. You are spot on about the location of the coils, reminds me of a CBX1000 a owned years ago with the spark units mounted under the swingarm where they used catch all the crud.

Rich

Got to the dealers for when they opened this morning, handed the bike over to the mechanic and a few hours later it's sorted........two new genuine coils fitted to the rear cylinders and all seems good.

Nothing like having a happy ending. :thumbsup2: Now get out and ride some.

Larry