IGNORED

Bike to trike project is completed!!!

vicco27

And on June 15th, we’ll be leaving on the ultimate road trip. The plan at this time is to head east across Oregon, angle northeast across Idaho to Yellowstone Park. After a tour of the Park, we’ll continue east through Wyoming to Mt. Rushmore. From there, we’ll head south to Colorado Springs for the Pike’s Peak Hill Climb. Then it will be on to the Grand Canyon for a trip on the Skywalk and a helicopter flight over the Canyon. On to Vegas, where we take in a show or two, northwards to Reno, and then back to our home in Springfield OR. We’ve scheduled a full month for the journey.

If there’s anyone out there who would be on, or close to, our route who would like to meet for coffee, a meal, or just a quick visit (while we rest up for the next segment of the journey) give us a shout. And, maybe, if anyone out there would have shop space available for maintenance (or repairs) you could let us know.

We can’t be specific about when we’ll be anywhere, but we will have the laptop with us and will check messages and emails at least once a day, maybe more. Depends on when and where we can get internet service. We’ll be sure to post some pictures when we get back.

Here is the link to the build project photo album in photobucket if you want to take a gander at how it was accomplished.

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/vicco2763/

• 3 weeks later...
And on June 15th, we’ll be leaving on the ultimate road trip. The plan at this time is to head east across Oregon, angle northeast across Idaho to Yellowstone Park. After a tour of the Park, we’ll continue east through Wyoming to Mt. Rushmore. From there, we’ll head south to Colorado Springs for the Pike’s Peak Hill Climb. Then it will be on to the Grand Canyon for a trip on the Skywalk and a helicopter flight over the Canyon. On to Vegas, where we take in a show or two, northwards to Reno, and then back to our home in Springfield OR. We’ve scheduled a full month for the journey.

If there’s anyone out there who would be on, or close to, our route who would like to meet for coffee, a meal, or just a quick visit (while we rest up for the next segment of the journey) give us a shout. And, maybe, if anyone out there would have shop space available for maintenance (or repairs) you could let us know.

We can’t be specific about when we’ll be anywhere, but we will have the laptop with us and will check messages and emails at least once a day, maybe more. Depends on when and where we can get internet service. We’ll be sure to post some pictures when we get back.

Here is the link to the build project photo album in photobucket if you want to take a gander at how it was accomplished.

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/vicco2763/

We leave out on our trip from Colorado Springs to Chicago then down Route 66 on Jun 17th or 18th...but if you find yourself getting to Colorado Springs before then, drop us a line! We will buy you a cup of coffee and see how your trip is going! You can give me some advice on how I've packed and such!

Mike n Kerri

The body is from a Tri-Wing kit. They didn’t want to sell me one, had to beg, borrow, and really argue with them to get it. Otherwise, the frame system and suspension are all out of my head.

I like it----I like it! Your trip sounds awesome. My first trike was a Venture Royal and it was real nice with plenty of power. On my latest trike build, it's a sportster theme with just fenders and a trunk, I also tried to get Tri-Wing to sell me part of their kit, the differential, swing arms and shock mounts but they said no way and some other things, so I also built the parts myself. Perhaps there's a business opportunity for them selling kit parts, maybe I should send them some pictures.

• 3 months later...

The main frame is 1.5" x 1" 1/8" thick rectangular tubing, and the rest is 1"x1" 1/8" rectangular tubing. Looking back I wish I would have used all 1"x1" 1/8", I think with all the triangulating I did it would have been just as strong and I could have saved a lot of weight.

The main frame is 1.5" x 1" 1/8" thick rectangular tubing, and the rest is 1"x1" 1/8" rectangular tubing. Looking back I wish I would have used all 1"x1" 1/8", I think with all the triangulating I did it would have been just as strong and I could have saved a lot of weight.

Have you had the trike weighed on scale yet? How much does it weigh if you did? My 2nd gener weighed in at 1260 lbs, but that was before I built an auxilary tank for it. It measures out at 4 gallons but in real life I get 3 1/2 gallons of fuel in it. That'll give me a range of 100-125 miles dependant on speeds being driven and if towing my trailer or not.

You did a fine job buid your trike Vic so do stand proud with it.

Larry

Ironically ours weighs 1260 too but with one gallon of extra gas, a screw jack, a factory service manual, and my tool pouch. On our month long trip we had both the upper and lower trunks craaamed full 20 to 40 lbs each. We had one extra gallon of gas on each fender rack in roto pax fuel containers and also a 20 to 25 lb bag on top of the fuel packs. The top rack held a 25 to 30 lb duffel bag and light-four person tent. We averaged 31.45 miles per gallon for the 4026 mile 10 state 26 day trip. On a 2 day 240 mile trip to see Friends this last weekend we got 33.868 miles per gallon with minimal extra load. My wife and I with gear on weigh about 410 lbs. We normally run 120 to 150 miles between stops. We haven't got caught out yet and had to use any of our extra fuel reserves. It doesn't seem like you are getting very good gas mileage if you are using both your main tank and your extra tank in that distance.

Good luck Vic

Vic you're getting about the same milage as I do. The 100-125 mile range I mentioned was only for the auxilary 3 1/2 gallons before switching to my main tank.

Last weekend I did about 800+ miles and was getting 33 1/2 - 34 1/2 mpg running a mix of 55 -70 mph.

Another question for you. What gear ratio do you use in the rear axle?

Larry

I looked for and finally found a '91 Cougar with the 7.5 independent rear end with a 3.27 gear ratio. Now that the trike is done, if I remember right with 26" high tires, the engine turns 4000 RPMs at 70 mph, and at 70 my milage drops down to 30.5 mpg. At 65 mph the tack only drops down to 36-3700 rpms but the milage goes up to 33-34 mpg, so now I'm wondering if I should have gone up to the 3.07 gear ratio. Let me know how this compares to your trike.

Vic