IGNORED

Cost to have a MC Wheel Chromed?

RSTDdog

Not sure about chroming but I just had my front wheel (93 VR) powder coated with black metal flake for a total cost of 79.12 with tax. Not too bad, and it looks fabulous in the sun. The first place I had a quote from wanted nearly double that. Get real!

Edited by Keemez

Just doing one wheel (front) since you can't see the back. I am guessing chroming to be in the 200-300 range??? Powdercoating black is an idea too..... Hmmmmm. Black Front wheel on a Midnight RSTD.

Did you have to strip it for the powder coating or did they do it?

Thanks for the input.

Did you have to strip it for the powder coating or did they do it?

Was that meant specifically for me?

I had tried to clean it up previously myself with any combination of 3M/Scotchbrite pads, wire cup brush/wire wheel/Comet/Ajax/etc etc etc. It was better than when I took delivery of it but still looking pretty neglected. Beadblasting would bring it all back to a uniform look again, but I don't have one. So ultimately they did all the work- blasting was included in the price. The first place wanted on the order of $125/hour (:no-no-no: ) for blasting/cleanup/prep work, then "roughly" 75 for color coating afterwards.

I considered just a regular silver/aluminum powder color but then I saw their example of the black metallic on a different part. Guy said it was the same price no matter which of the two colors he did, so I selected the more decorative one.

As for front only vs. both; you're on the right track. So little of the rear wheel is visible anyway that I'll probably just leave it the stock silver color. I might just lightly mist it with black in time.

Thanks for all the responses. Considering doing the Stratoliner/Roadliner front wheel upgrade but the one I have found is the silver one. Not sure how that would look on a Midnight. Trying to guage Chroming a silver one vs waiting to find a polished one from a C model. All black may also be cool, and cheaper too. Decisions......

RSTDdog

i bought chrome wheels on ebay for my zx-14 kawasaki. i bought them outright no exchange. they were about $1200.00. i think they ran about $550.00 exchange (probably higher now). my local plater who is one of the best for show chrome would'nt even touch them. he said if you are not set up for doing wheels you will not get a good job because of the chance of flaking on aluminum. use one of the sources on ebay. they do the best job and garrantee them. you will need to remove the bearngs and replace them, as they charge extra for that. they do thousands of wheels and usually have them in stock for a quick turn around. i had a dealer mount mine because they said they could do it with out messing up the chrome. i now have a tire machine so i can mount my own. there is a trick to it because the chrome will flake very easily. if you are going to ride alot in all weather conditions i would powdercoat them. the brake dust and moisture will pit the chrome on the inner rim. there is no end to the colors of powder coat available, and it is tougher than nails. :)

What is black chrome??
black chrome is done by putting a dye in the solution. not to many plating outfits do it because it takes separate tanks and the demand is'nt that great. the first time i ever saw black chrome was on the exaust system on the harley xlcr sporster cafe racer it was beautiful. it came from the factory that way. that was in my opinion one of the best looking bikes harley ever built.

I wonder just how long the chomed wheels will last before starting to flake?? I've never dealt with wheels, but have been dealing with billet bling that was flaking. I had them stripped and polished. Looks just like chrome, but if you want black your SOL.... It seems like chromed aluminum looks great when it's first done, but for some reason seperation and flaking are common. Attached are a couple of pics of polished aluminum. I didn't do this,,, it was commercially done.

Talk to Adam, he quoted me $250. That is with them doing 100% of the polish work and chroming the aluminum wheel

Kentucky Cycles

4124 Simpson Lane

Richmond Ky 40475

859-536-0261

www.kycyclesalvage.co

We offer bright chrome, black chrome, 24k gold and candy chrome

Bob you're missing the M on your link to LY Cycles... FYI

I wonder just how long the chomed wheels will last before starting to flake?? I've never dealt with wheels, but have been dealing with billet bling that was flaking. I had them stripped and polished. Looks just like chrome, but if you want black your SOL.... It seems like chromed aluminum looks great when it's first done, but for some reason seperation and flaking are common. Attached are a couple of pics of polished aluminum. I didn't do this,,, it was commercially done.

Condor did you have them clearcoated to preserve the shine... if not how long did the shine last??

Condor did you have them clearcoated to preserve the shine... if not how long did the shine last??

You have to shoot them with hi-temp clear, or in about a year they'll start loosing their shine.... But..... even if they do dull up, it's very easy to bring the finish back with a good metal polish.

The first time I ever personally saw black chrome was actually on a Yamaha. I don't remember the year ... probably middle 80's...but the Midnight Special Maxim had black chrome headers and mufflers.
i forgot about the midnight special. they did have black chrome exaust. that was a good looking bike. :)

i forgot about the midnight special. they did have black chrome exaust. that was a good looking bike. :)

I had a 720 Virago that was black and gold chrome. That was a pretty bike for it's time. I wish I kept it. I think it was around 1988 when I had it.

Chrome pros did my wheels, I sent them my wheels and they did a great job. I marked them so I knew I got mine back. I think its been 5 years and they still look good. I also had my pie pans done and my rotors polished.