IGNORED

Lithium Ion batteries

Freebird

These batteries have been mentioned a few times here lately. Webbike World has a pretty decent article on them right now. I actually find some of the user comments at the end of their comparison to be even more informative that the article itself. From reading some of the user comments, I'm not sure that these batteries are right for touring bikes with heavy current draws.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

Your probably right. Lithium-ion batteries have weakness's in their design. You can't drain them too fast or too much without causeing permanent damage. They even have circuits built in to try to stop this. A few years ago I bought a set of Ridgid 24v Lithium-ion tools. Killed 4 batteries with the saws in the set in less than a year.That's when I started trying to find out what had happened and read up on Lithium-Ion.

OK, you guys are peain' in my wheaties here.

I still think I need a smaller battery to make the VMax air Box work. It is tight. With the lithium, I could still mount it in front of the air cleaner with the vmax air box. 1st pic is vmax air box, 2nd is stock air box.

The AGM battery won't fit in laying on its side due to length like is shown in 3rd picture (from Rick Butler), I think this may be the next size smaller battery.

I can rotate it 90 deg so terminals are on left or right side though.

Still leaves me with needing a place to put the vboost motor. It should go where the battery is shown. It has a throttle style cable that limits where it can go.

Gary

OK, you guys are peain' in my wheaties here.

I still think I need a smaller battery to make the VMax air Box work. It is tight. With the lithium, I could still mount it in front of the air cleaner with the vmax air box. 1st pic is vmax air box, 2nd is stock air box.

The AGM battery won't fit in laying on its side due to length like is shown in 3rd picture (from Rick Butler), I think this may be the next size smaller battery.

I can rotate it 90 deg so terminals are on left or right side though.

Still leaves me with needing a place to put the vboost motor. It should go where the battery is shown. It has a throttle style cable that limits where it can go.

Gary

Gary, just though of something, try to put it the left fairing where the radio amp was.

I have considered that, I am just not sure what the offset in weight would due to handling.

Gary

NOt a good Idea, Battery and other Items of heavy Weight should be put in the Center of the the Bike, preferable as low as one could get them in there.

Gary, take a Look a Hawker 2 Volt single Cells. We can use Hawker SBS-8 Battery on the 1Gen Maxxes, that would also be an Option.

What kind of cycling problems are the Lithium batteries displaying?

Would they be harmed by the sometimes low voltage conditions they might encounter?

It doesn't seem like a bike would subject them to full draw down conditions like a power tool would.

I looked at batteries that Squeeze suggested but they are rated at 25AH @ 2V. Even with seven of them this is not nearly enough. Only 175 AH, and they are $40 each.

Gary

Gary, why in the World are 25 AH not enough ?

The stock lead-Acid Battery provides 20 AH.

The Cyclon Cells come in 8AH, 12,AH and 25 AH Capacity, the big one is way more than only adequate for the the Application.

On the 1Gen Max, a Hawker SBS 8 works for starting the Bike and holds up around 3 or 4 Years. These are 8 AH Batteries. Over here, you can get them used form Ebay from very little Money, these are used in Backup Systems and have to be taken out when they're due, wether they're ok or not.

I'm sure a mid-size Shorai 12 V Battery would be up to your Task also.

What kind of cycling problems are the Lithium batteries displaying?

Would they be harmed by the sometimes low voltage conditions they might encounter?

It doesn't seem like a bike would subject them to full draw down conditions like a power tool would.

I looked at batteries that Squeeze suggested but they are rated at 25AH @ 2V. Even with seven of them this is not nearly enough. Only 175 AH, and they are $40 each.

Gary

I have many many types of lithium batteries that I use.

First you would use six 2V cells not 7.

The cells would be connected in series so that you would get 12V.

When you connect cells in series, the AH stays the same and the voltages add up.

AH is not the same thing as max amps.

AH is how many hours you can power a 1 amp load before the battery is drained to the minimum recommended voltage.

Lithium batteries if used correctly can be very good, BUT they have very special charging requirements. Our electrical systems are designed to be perfect for charging a lead acid battery but are all wrong for the requirements of lithium.

Lithium batteries are also very bad in the cold. They just go to sleep and wait for things to warm up.

Gary, why in the World are 25 AH not enough ?

The stock lead-Acid Battery provides 20 AH.

The Cyclon Cells come in 8AH, 12,AH and 25 AH Capacity, the big one is way more than only adequate for the the Application.

On the 1Gen Max, a Hawker SBS 8 works for starting the Bike and holds up around 3 or 4 Years. These are 8 AH Batteries. Over here, you can get them used form Ebay from very little Money, these are used in Backup Systems and have to be taken out when they're due, wether they're ok or not.

I'm sure a mid-size Shorai 12 V Battery would be up to your Task also.

I'm an idiot Squueze, for some reason I had the CCA number of 300 in my head.

Still not cheap though, I didn't search a lot, but $40 was lowest I saw. And at 2V, I would need probably 7 of them.

Normal battery voltage is around 13.2 V with a standard type battery.

Gary