IGNORED

Trailer wiring - RSV to HF tag along

XV1100SE

I have used the same type (picked them up at Forest City surplus at lower prices) not Reese brand(did pick up some extra ones when they went on clearance) but works the same. I use this type on my 87 Venture(which is still looking for parts )and also on my 2000 Yamaha Roadstar. They work great . Have put Led lights on trailer so there is less draw on bike electricals tho. Not hard to hook-up.

Picked up an isolator at Canadian Tire and was wondering if anyone has tried this or general thoughts. Hopefully the pics are detailed enough.

'09 RSV to Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer (4pin) - picking up the trailer this weekend

http://reese.cequent-cpi.com/product/detail.asp?ID=78014

I got one from the local Ace Hardware, works fine...

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=568616#post568616

• 2 weeks later...

Have mine installed under the seat (sitting on top of the battery) and tested fine with the trailer. Went to put the seat on .... and if the unit is positioned in just the right spot the seat will go down. Off a little bit and the seat won't fit.

I have the Stebel horn and wired the passing lamps to a relay under the seat so there isn't a lot of room under the drivers seat. Where did other's mount theirs? Is there room under the passenger seat? (I'm at work otherwise I'd be finding out for myself).

Also.... noticed that when the turn signals are turned on the trunk wing light flickers with the lights. Should I have wired this into the trailer converter rather than into the bike connector?

And for those wondering... I went with the Harbor Freight Tag Along. I applied all of the customer comments to the traioler and looking forward to giving it a test run. I haven't lengthened the tongue yet until I figure out just how much to add.

As far as the wing light.

Are you certain that it did not flicker before the trailer converter install?

Does the wing light only flicker with the trailer plugged in?

From what I have read, most of the people that say the tongue needs to be lengthened never tried it stock or had no issue with it stock but changed it anyhow just cuz someone said it was better or matched a formula. There are many on this site that are pulling the HF trailer as designed with no issues. I intend to try mine stock before I consider the extra work of modifying the tongue.

I hope to finish the hitch on the bike next week and then finish building my HF trailer the following week to start testing.

First test will be behind my P/U so that if there are any issues I can just disconnect it and load it in the back of the truck to get home. Also there is no chance of that little trailer causing my P/U to crash if something really bad goes wrong with the trailer on the test run.

Picked up an isolator at Canadian Tire and was wondering if anyone has tried this or general thoughts. Hopefully the pics are detailed enough.

'09 RSV to Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer (4pin) - picking up the trailer this weekend

http://reese.cequent-cpi.com/product/detail.asp?ID=78014

You could also just add one wire to the four wire system and run it back to the trailer hook up along side the wires going back for running lights,turn signals and etc. Get two LED lights for the brake lights and hook the extra wire to the brake light circuit under the seat. You can get the quick disconnect for the extra wire and hook it up when hooking up the normal four wire connector. Here is the wiring under the seat and the color code.

YELLOW- Brake light

BROWN-Left turn

GREEN-right turn

BLUE- Running lights

BLACK-ground wire

Good luck with either way you do it. Just thought that I would mention that the converter is really not required but does work. Save money is my theory all the time!! ha ha DanC, :cool10:

I saw a unit at Princess Auto last night that is 1/2 the size of the Reese unit I had picked up before. That should fit behind or beside the battery. Just have to get it around the relays for the horn and passing lights !

As for the wing light flickering.... it might have flickered with the turn signals on but it stood out when I tested everything again. I'm thinking I'll wire it into the trailer side of the converter. All it has to do is tie into brake/run conductor.