IGNORED

Trailering a Warrior

Mustfire

I want to trailer my Yamaha Warrior behind the Venture. Why? Well, I am going on a trip to The Dragon in May. and although I like riding the Venture, it does not give the same adreneline rush in the twisties as the Warrior. So, the Warrior (with the "mini-trailer" I'm building) will weigh in at about 700 lbs. I'm going to shoot for a tongue weight of about 50 lbs. I weigh in at about 205, so will this be ok?

Stopping will be a big concern. Especially if you have to stop fast going down a steep mountain grade.

You may want to look into electric brakes on the trailer.

I have always read that about 30 lbs is the max tongue weight that a bike likes before handling issues start.

Edited by Flyinfool

Well, it wouldn't be OK for me but you will have to make your own decision. I pull a trailer behind my RSV but I would never pull anything that heavy. Just my opinion and I know that folks have pulled some strange things with bikes.

I have had as much as 75 lbs of tongue weight, with no problems whatsoever. The most I have pulled behind the bike is about 400lbs. I would also suggest trailer brakes, if you're going to try pulling that much weight up there in the mountains. Good luck.

WOW... At 750 pounds you will be about 3/4 the weight of your towing vehicle. I would think that would be very dangerous. I can see several different problems with handling issues. Mostly stoppping.. And if you get a wind shear, or a problem with the trailer, well hang it up.. :think: :confused24:

But I'm sure someone with more towing experience what me will chime in with some words of wisdom... :bowdown:

Good luck on your trip... :080402gudl_prv:

I have never towed anything with a motorcycle but will be watching this thread closely because it sounds like a cool idea. I do know in some other countries they use motorcycles hauling a small trailer as recovery vehicles. I don't know the specs of that layout though.

Good luck!

Frank

I took my aluma, fully packed, (crammed FULL is more like it) with more gear on the top of it, and extra gear on my luggage rack, bags fully packed, and a kid on the back, on a trip out to yellowstone in 2009. I didn't weigh the trailer, but it was pretty heavy, and I definitely noticed a difference in the handling. It tried to push me around corners and turns, and definitely caused some major drag. I averaged about 25mpg - and was barely able to make 50 mph on one occasion (climbing a hill/mountain)

BUT - I'm pretty sure it was no more than 500 lbs. Not sure I'd pack it that full again.

On the bright side......ya know when you put a warm up donut on a ball bat, and then the bat seems alot lighter and easier to handle once the donut is removed? The bike was the same way once I dropped the trailer.

I'll follow this thread.....I have a bobber I wouldn't mind taking along on a trip to the dragon this July....so please keep us updated.

I am sure it can be done. I have towed some heavy stuff with small vehicles. If you are going to do it I would say try it for a bit around home and learn how the trailer (with the bike on it) and your bike handle that way. It is bound to be a whole new set of skills. Trailer brakes and maybe finding a way to put a little more weight on the forks as well. Will follow this thread and see how it works out. Never know, you may come up with the perfect combination that others will be able to use. Shaun

I don't know, maybe its not such a good idea. The Venture is MUCH more comfortable for the long haul, but upwards of 1,000 lbs. of bike and rider around those tight curves is not all that much fun. Maybe I'd be better off just loading the Warrior with packs and bags and just tough it out for 450 miles!

Think of it this way. The mechanics and geometry of a hitch are to pull a trailer by the towing vehicle. When it comes time to stop the towed vehicle weight is now pushing the hitch. It is then going to push the towing vehicle in the direction of least resistance not necessarily in a straight line.

I've had some heavy loads behind me. But wait a minute she wasn't in a trailer....:whistling:

I personally wouldn't do this. Have you drug both sides of a Venture on the Dragon? Its not hard to get all the adrenalin going that you need on the Venture. I don't do that stuff anymore.