IGNORED

Canadians with trailers

XV1100SE

Where did you get your trailer?

I've been looking at the PiggyBacker. Good price at $950 but add $200 for RIV processing and shipping ($186) plus the hassles with customs, brokerage fees and registration.... is there a good trailer available locally ? (Ontario)

I've checked kijiji and autotrader but nothing listed.

Suggestions?

Where did you get your trailer?

I've been looking at the PiggyBacker. Good price at $950 but add $200 for RIV processing and shipping ($186) plus the hassles with customs, brokerage fees and registration.... is there a good trailer available locally ? (Ontario)

I've checked kijiji and autotrader but nothing listed.

Suggestions?

I've been contemplating this one from Quebec. http://www.armoricdesign.com/angl/index_angl.html:322:

You could pick up a harbor frieght trailer kit that comes in two boxes. They would fit in your car and then buy a car topper for it. Worst case scenario is pay the duty. I'll be heading down to visit with Bob in the next week or two. You could come along or I might be able to get talked into picking it up for you. Sometimes they go on sale real cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-trailer-accessories/870-lb-capacity-40-inch-x-49-inch-heavy-duty-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

The other harbor freight trailer I was looking at includes the topper @ $400 - http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html Of these two... which one is best to go with ?

The thing that concerns me is the RIV fee of $200, plus getting it passed (apparently Canadian Tire does this for free as part of the RIV fee). Also... does the HF trailer have a VIN so you can register it in Ontario? Do you have to do the RIV if it is a kit? The PiggyBacker is shipped in pieces so is it also considered a kit? If kits are exempt from the RIV then that is a consideration too.

Things I'd like in a trailer :

- decent locking mechanism on the box

- swivel hitch (seems like a good idea on a bike trailer)

- 12" wheels for highway crusiing

- cooler box/holder

- paint-able to match the cherry/raven bike

- separate turn signals (separate from brakes) - LED ?

I've been hoping to spend up to $1,000 for a trailer and everything else I've seen listed at Canadian trailer dealers starts at $2,400 and goes up from there.

Edited by XV1100SE
add things I'd like in a trailer

Also... does the HF trailer have a VIN so you can register it in Ontario? Do you have to do the RIV if it is a kit? The PiggyBacker is shipped in pieces so is it also considered a kit? If kits are exempt from the RIV then that is a consideration too..

HF does not come with a VIN so it is considered inadmissable with RIV and will not be allowed into Canada. You can try the kit idea but I highly doubt you will get away with it.

Once at the border and you show your receipt and if it says trailer it has to go through the RIV program and it they will not allow it.

The piggy backer may be allowed as it does have a VIN.

The Forbro site is a dealer for Time-out. You could buy direct from the factory and import it through the RIV program for cheaper than the CDN dealer. Won't be big savings but enough for the hassle.

I have both the Piggybacker and the Time-out camper. Had the piggy backer for about 5 years and pulled it many miles.

Your only a few miles away if you want to talk about these trailers.

Brad

I was wondering too.... if I ride to South Carolina and pick up a Piggybacker and tow it home... how do you license it so you can get it home? Temporary plates even if you are from Canada ? Would Custom's let you bring it across with a State temp plate? If I did this (or picked it up in truck) and took a week round trip there would be a certain amount of duty free.

They will ship to Buffalo for $79 (free shipping to lower States ended today) but will not deliver to a residential address. If I did this I could avoid brokerage fees at least but would still have to do the RIV process. HST I'd have to pay whether I bought a trailer in Canada or imported it so that doesn't matter.

As of Monday the price goes from $975 to $950.

Getting a bike trailer shouldn't be this difficult ! And why are the good deals only in the States ?!

a piggy backer back from the states. I towed with the bike. It was actually relayed from Georgia to Minniapolis for me.

Yes I went through the RIV. Yes Canadian tire does the federal inspection. Mostly they check it has tail lights and a VIN plate (which it does), they also take tire sizes and max weights for the tires.

There is no duty. We have free trade and this item is made in the states...sort of. If there is a border service just across the line from you get it sent there. Usually these places charge a very nominal fee to hold the item until you pick it up. For this trailer here it would be around 10 bucks....not bad at all.

I bought insurance here...just a temporary thing for 7 days.

This is a basic trailer but we like it. It pulls great...Marilyn pulls it with her 1100 vstar and we load it up pretty good.....just ask anyone that has seen us when we roll into a ralley camp site!

The lock is not great but most locks only keep the honest people out anyway.

You can get it with a swivel hitch I believe. I bought one and will be installing it this spring. It has an odd shaped tow bar so the swivel I bought has to be formed if that makes any sense.

HF does not come with a VIN so it is considered inadmissable with RIV and will not be allowed into Canada. You can try the kit idea but I highly doubt you will get away with it.

Just an FYI on this... I picked up a used, damanged "Lil Donk" trailer locally (was hauled in behind a scoot from the USA and then wrote off in an accident). I had no papers for it nor did it have any serial no's or anything. I rebuilt it and went to the insurance office and they drew up new registration papers as a "home built" and gave me insurance and a lic plate.

Here's where they're made...

http://www.honkytrailer.com/LilDonk.html

I have a Piggybacker XL that I had shipped from the US via courier. It was a bit of a chore because the courier they use don't come to the island but I was able to interline it with a trucking company. There is no way around the RIV fee that I could find. I tried to ignore it but after a few weeks I received a letter from them threatening to fine me and come remove the trailer. Which was funny because they had the wrong address on the letter! I had to load it in a truck and bring to Cdn tire for the guy to look at it - not plugged in or hooked to anything - and put a stamp on the form, I later received a sticker that had to be put on the trailer. The inspection took maybe 30 sec!

The funny part is I can make a trailer from scrap.....go to the Dept of Trans and sign a form saying I paid tax's on the materials.....pay $30 and they pass me a plate for the trailer!

I enjoy the Piggybacker, like everyone will say - have to keep checking to make sure its still on the back. I did have an issue with the rims but they sent me a new set.

Keith

Just came across this one in Baden.

I do believe these are not cheap, but you will find out if you stop in.

I had no papers for it nor did it have any serial no's or anything. I rebuilt it and went to the insurance office and they drew up new registration papers as a "home built" and gave me insurance and a lic plate

In Ontario you can go to the license bureau and get a ownership for 10, for a home built trailer they dont even want to see it or no inspections required. 25 dollars for a plate if you dont have one.

Head south pick up trailer and drive home. THis gets you around the RIV thing, but this is also NOT a legal import. But you will have a Onership and it is licensed as a home built trailer.

PS: I am not recomending this as a solution but some people have done it

Brad

Responded to Swifty and Wizard's PM's.

The HF at $199 for the frame seems like a good way to go but I don't have access to welding equipment. As suggested, I'd want to have a tongue long enough to put on a cooler carrier. A box that is light enough and with a good locking mechanism and hinges would be nice and would have to look around for a good source.

8" tires... for the price of the HF... can't really go wrong... so I will reconsider that.

Starting with a "kit" and then modifying it I would consider to be home made so registering it shouldn't be an issue.

No rush in getting a trailer but if I find one at a good price I'd go for it. Building or modifying one is a possibility too.

I'm going to call the trailer dealer in Baden today and see what their price is. The PiggyBacker is a nice looking trailer and the price is right ... until you add in RIV, brokerage, and shipping charges.

The kit comes as a bolt together. This would be fine especially if you put a floor of some sort on it. BUT I cut mine up and wanted it real solid so welded it together. I also got real anal about the tongue and bought a length of rectangular tubing which I then took to a guy down the road and had him put a small S bend in it so that when it was hooked to the bike it was level. I also flipped the axle to get it as low as possible to the ground which made me make up brackets to hold the fenders. etc etc etc... you get the picture. I actually bought the kit for the materials. When I was shopping for parts here in Canada it was about $150 just for the axle and springs.. I got the whole kit from HF on sale for $139. I did change all the lights to LED. IF you need some help I would be happy to do that.

Personally if I was doing it again and with a car topper I'd still cut it up and make it narrower to fit the car topper.. This just for the appearance. When you narrow it you need to shorten the axle. I'm thinking one end could be cut off and a new hole drilled for the spring pin but I cut it out of the middle and welded it back together with a brace to make sure it was strong enough. I hung my spare on the bottom with a long Stainless bolt through the tongue.

Anyhow the project was actually fun.

My concern would be trying to color match the plastic rooftop.. How flexible is paint and will it stick to the plastic?

When it was all said and done I had a home built trailer and I just went to the license bureau and got an ownership and plate. Cost was cheap (around $25)

• 2 weeks later...

To close this off... I went to Harbor Freight with Wizard765 and picked up the Tag Along. Had fun getting it across the border (guard went thru Wayne's van, questioned the number of parts vs single line item on receipt) but got away with just paying HST and not RIV.

I upgraded the lights to LED's, picked up a plate for it yesterday ($35) and "finished" the wiring connection on the bike last night. Now to get the seat to fit with the converter under it and secure the wiring to the fender.

Thanks to all that posted to this thread and special thanks to Wayne for taking me with him to Bob's and Harbor Freight.

Hey Brad:

Yes we got pulled in and searched. At first they just said to go in and pay the taxes but then they searched the Van. I had some stuff I picked up from Bob's and they ignored that stuff. The receipt just said tag along or something like that. It didn't actually have the word trailer. The box was open so she looked at all the stuff in the box and wanted to see receipts for everything. Well almost everything was part of the one line on the receipt. Anyhow Don told her to check the website and she ran off for awhile then came back and said we could go.. Don paid the taxes.. All in all with a 20% off coupon he did real good. Looks like it will be a nice trailer for a very good price.

I'll take a look at the receipt tonight and post.

From previous threads on the HF Tag Along trailer it is a knock off of the Piggy Backer (minus chrome bumper, LED lights, spare tire, 12" wheels).... for half the price. Not agreeing with that approach but for a trailer you only use a couple times a year, and what I'll be using it for... it was a good deal for me.

I had put the Reese converter on the bike but last night at Princess Auto I came across one that is half the size. Looks like I'm back to wiring tonight ! This one might fit behind the battery!