IGNORED

Revisiting Camping - Tents

rumboogy

Since it's been a while since this has been talked about...I thought I would start another discussion to see if any "advances" have been made in TENT TECHNOLOGY.

Obviously quick set-up and compactness when traveling is most important.

Anything new on the TENT front.

Wally

Guest tx2sturgis

I just use an inexpensive Ozark Trail 4 man from WalMart, or sometimes I use my other, smaller tent, the Eureka Timberline 2 man...but...

I think the Apache tents are probably state of the art...there may be something better...I dont know.

They look cool, but they aint cheap. If you camp often, they may be worth the $300 to $700 price tag.

http://www.apachetents.com/

I have 2 of the Walmart Ozark Trail tents. A large 4/6 man and a smaller 2 man. The 2 man was about $40 and the 4 man was about $60 (watch for sales). They are warm weather tents lightly constructed and with large screen tops covered with rain flys. They have worked ok in moderate rains and light winds. Very easy to put up or take down, even for 1 person. I used the 2man on a couple trips with my RSTD with it tied to the back seat. I've also purchased an Ozark Trails air mattress, these are much thicker and more comfortable than the old style air mattresses, but you'll need to get an electric pump to blow it up unless you're a tuba player. I have a pump that runs off 4 D cell batteries, or you can get one that plugs into your bikes accessory socket.

If you're planning on cold weather camping, I'd get a more heavy duty tent.

check out the Timberline 6 person A-frame.

Been using a 6 man for a couple yrs and it is roomy, sets up in 5 min. and tear douwn is as fast once you get the hang of it. packs in a sleve 8 inches round and 26 inches long weight is + - 12 pounds.

Since it's been a while since this has been talked about...I thought I would start another discussion to see if any "advances" have been made in TENT TECHNOLOGY.

Obviously quick set-up and compactness when traveling is most important.

Anything new on the TENT front.

Wally

The biggest upgrade to a tent ----- Camping hammock... look below.

I've been off the ground for several years now AND I can set up on a slope...

AND my back loves me in the morning.:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::dancefool:

Edited by TDunc

my latest aquisition is the Eureka Spitfire duo http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/11 . I Got caught in a rainstorm so bad once that I ended up with so much water under the floor that it felt like a water bed, yet no water got into the tent. this tent backs up very small and packs nicely on the motorcycle. It will sleep two people comfortably. Set up is as simple as you can get and it stands up to some real severe winds. If you want there is a smaller version called the sitfire solo as well http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/tents/solo

I travel heavy and ask a lot out of my tent. It has to be tall enough so that I do not have to stoop when entering. I have used this Coleman tent for the last 3 years and it has withstood Wyoming winds, torrential rains, and being hauled all over the US and Canada. From the abuse I have put it through I have one ripped pole sleeve and 1 cracked pole. That's after 19k miles of traveling and camping! Tent is a little complicated to set up but instructions are on the bag and it is easy once you have practiced a little. It does need two people, although I have done it by myself, once!

[ATTACH]54898[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54899[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54901[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54902[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54903[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54904[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54906[/ATTACH]

So anything to fix that tear?

I'll chime in with Shamue on this one. I've had a Timberline 4-person tent for over 30 years and it's still in great shape. It sets up fast and easy and is otherwise compact and very light to carry as it was originally designed for hikers.

Habib the Hospitable

I think the Apache tents are probably state of the art...there may be something better...I dont know.

They look cool, but they aint cheap. If you camp often, they may be worth the $300 to $700 price tag.

http://www.apachetents.com/

Frank Reese, that makes the Apache tents, is 82 years old. He and his wife still ride a Goldwing trike and it's amazing to see him set up camp in just a few minutes. Like was said, not the least expensive tent but definitely quick (especially valuable in the rain).

Dave