IGNORED

Son's First Solo Overnight Motorcycle Trip

RedRider

Well, my influence (for good or bad) has rubbed off on my eldest son, Curtiss. He is on spring break from college this week and leaving today to go riding/camping. Curt is taking my 2008 KLR650 which is a reliable machine loaded down with everything he needs. This bike is really a great packmule.

He will head out about noon today and is aiming towards Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park. He wants to camp, hike, and just sit around and read (going to school to be a literature professor). I envy him and want to go too.

His route today will take him thru central Illinois (Rockford to Normal) and then over into Indiana. Once he gets into Indiana, I expect he will get off the interstate slab. Will likely stay tonight in the Hoosier Nat'l Forest near French Lick. Tomorrow will see him down to Mammoth Cave.

I will post a picture of the loaded bike and son once he is ready to go.

If he runs into trouble, I may need to rely on the graciousness and support of this family until I can get down to him. While he is 22, he is still my little boy (sure - 6'4" little boy) and I want to protect him the best I can (without him knowing it). I will keep you all up to date.

I love my son and am very excited for him to make this trip alone. It will be a great experience for him.

Wish him luck.

RR

RedRider, it's great to see your kids grow into things... As for the KLR, yes it is a simple workhorse. Kind of like the old Land Cruisers of the off-road. That's my choice too of a very reliable, tough, affordable dual sport.

Look forward to the pics. Here's to all going as planned!

Brian

Make sure you download the assistance list for just in case, or even if he just wants someone to have coffee with. You know you can count on us if he needs anything. It's amazing how fast they grow up, but they are still our babies. (I'm sure he wouldn't want to hear that)

Margaret

Got a call from Curtiss this evening. He has set up his tent in Shakamak State Park just south of Terre Haute, IN. He is a little concerned with the weather getting back home, but is enjoying 65+ degree weather in southern Indiana for the time being.

Tomorrow he is thinking of continuing south to Mammoth Cave NP. We will see. No need for him to come home until Thursday earliest. It will be raining/snowing until then. Any way about it though, he is going to have a cold ride home. Supposed to be 28 to 32 degrees - for a high - Thursday and Friday.

We used to ride in 2 foot snow, with baked potatoes in our pockets to keep warm, up hill, both ways, ....

Builds character. He's having fun.

RR

I was watching for him today, :scratchchin: but I guess I went the wrong way.:doh:

Before he heads back Nort, send him to get some of those Chemical heat packs.:thumbsup2:

On second thought, I know you Jeff, you probably stashed some in his gear when he wasn't lookin' :stickpoke:

If not, I left some half used ones in El Paso, IL, cus It was way too warm by then.:banana:

Later, Scooter Bob:Venture:

I was watching for him today, :scratchchin: but I guess I went the wrong way.:doh:

Before he heads back Nort, send him to get some of those Chemical heat packs.:thumbsup2:

On second thought, I know you Jeff, you probably stashed some in his gear when he wasn't lookin' :stickpoke:

If not, I left some half used ones in El Paso, IL, cus It was way too warm by then.:banana:

Later, Scooter Bob:Venture:

I didn't pack any of the chemical warmers, but talked to him about them last night. He will stop by a Walmart and pick some up if he is getting cold. (I did, however, stash a Benjamin in a plastic bag duct taped to the inside of the side plastics. The duct tape used was black and it can't be seen, but is easily felt for and retrieved).

RR

Edited by RedRider

Very cool! My first 'long haul' bike trip was not too long ago, but then again I am not much older than your son. I never thought about the 'worry factor' of the parental units (they told me they didn't worry), but I know they were sure happy (and relieved) to hear from me whenever I called.

I hope your son has a great trip and can get back home safely, despite some of the 'awesome' weather that has been graciously delivered to you.

:Venture:

" (I did, however, stash a Benjamin in a plastic bag duct taped to the inside of the side plastics. The duct tape used was black and it can't be seen, but is easily felt for and retrived)."....................

i've got a spot on my bike that could use a couple of those benjamins.......sure your son will have the time of his life and a story to tell that he will never forget......best wishes !

Make sure you download the assistance list for just in case, or even if he just wants someone to have coffee with.

Margaret

Margaret, is there an easy way to download the assistance list, or does one need to go member by member and jot down the info? Thanks!

Brian:fingers-crossed-emo

I didn't pack any of the chemical warmers, but talked to him about them last night. He will stop by a Walmart and pick some up if he is getting cold. (I did, however, stash a Benjamin in a plastic bag duct taped to the inside of the side plastics. The duct tape used was black and it can't be seen, but is easily felt for and retrieved).

RR

probably a stupid question, but what is a Benjamin?

Brian

interesting....couldn't just hand the kid a hundred? I was thinking you were talkign about something else to stay warm... DUH!

Im betting that his son isn't aware that it's there and probably would have refused to accept it if he had tried to just hand it to him directly.

He certainly would have accepted it if offered. However, it is there just in case - he has no idea it is there. If I handed it to him, it would get spent. This way, it goes towards gas on my trip if he doesn't need it - but it is there if he does need it.

RR

Hey Jeff....

Want to have some fun?

If you have a newer computer and scanner slide in a bill and try to make a copy actual size.

Go ahead.......go for it!

Hope that goes as well for you as it did for me. :rotf::rotf:

But back to the ranch......Hope your son has a safe a fun trip. I wandered off many times when I was his age and it was always an experience locked if for a lifetime.

Mike

Hey Jeff....

Want to have some fun?

If you have a newer computer and scanner slide in a bill and try to make a copy actual size.

Go ahead.......go for it!

Hope that goes as well for you as it did for me. :rotf::rotf:

Mike

I try very hard to make sure the Secret Service has no need to know my name. While not as convenient, I will earn my Benjamins the old fashion way.:smile5:

RR

It started out as an evening of making images to paste together for my daughter to make book covers. Ended up sitting by the front window waiting for a black SUV to show up. :innocent:

She now knows how to make a book cover out of a paper grocery sack. Plain.

That experience rated an OOPS!!

Well, just got a call from my son and he is home. Said his knees were so cold he went in and immediately took a long, hot shower. 2 minutes later, his knees were cold again. BTDT.

High temp today was 27F and he travelled about 200 miles. Glad he made it safely.

Will post pictures once I get home. Supposedly, he left the camera for me to put the pics on Smugmug (internet file sharing/storage).

He will certainly have a story to tell of his first 'real' motorcycle trip.

RR