IGNORED

need some parts PLEASE

TreeDR

I'm new on here- evidently:) So I will learn if this is the right spot to post or not... But I have a 84' Venture Royale that I have fell in love with! I bought it 3 years ago. Have started to redo the bike. Did a full body fix and new single color paint job, with alot of beautiful nature scenery airbrushing:)) Re-did the seat etc etc.

I put usually 10,000km or 6000m + a year on it, and i plan on taking a COLD trip with it the end of March. It is currently at a local shop getting 2nd gear fixed:( and there is another smaller issue i need fixed- The Radio and one speaker... Does anyone have any ideas where to get a unit and speaker(s)? Things started not working the end of the season and i need the radio on longer rides. Generally this is my quoting vehicle, but I'm headed to PA to a friends soon. Any help will be appreciated- Thanks, Dwayne

HI Welcome to the group!

I remember buying mine at Walmart for about 40 bux? but I cant remeber the size for sure, but I think they are just a 4inch round speaker. Some here have put marine speakers in, but my bike is not in the rain very often so i thought it didnt matter.

It is not a very big job to swap out the speakers just a bit fidgety as you have to pull off a lot of the top plastic and your signal lights to get there.

Brian

I'm a little unclear as to what exactly the problem is. Are you saying that the problem is the speakers or there is another problem besides the speaker?

As stated, you can get replacement speakers from a lot of sources such as Wally world, etc, and some aftermarket speakers are better than stock. I have a few stock ones you are more than welcome to, just stop by on your way thru and pick them up.

If you are having other problems besides the speakers and do not use the Intercom or CB I have a metal plate made up to fit into the existing dash piece and you can put in any radio you choose. I also have a spare amp unit that I don't know if it works properly given to me by Dingy that would only take a few minutes to find out if it works...

I've found through the years that most of the radio/intercom problems with the first gens are do to connector problems. Clean up all the connectors and see where that gets you.

Many places to buy speakers. I have a set of Kenwoods on the bike that are not waterproof and they seem to work fine. I have been caught in the rain several times.

Good luck,

BOO

Just wondering what the "metal plate" you mentioned looks like, getting ready to "strip out" the oem radio and replace with something newer, any ideas I get from others will make it easier.

Thanks

SGN

I'm a little unclear as to what exactly the problem is. Are you saying that the problem is the speakers or there is another problem besides the speaker?

As stated, you can get replacement speakers from a lot of sources such as Wally world, etc, and some aftermarket speakers are better than stock. I have a few stock ones you are more than welcome to, just stop by on your way thru and pick them up.

If you are having other problems besides the speakers and do not use the Intercom or CB I have a metal plate made up to fit into the existing dash piece and you can put in any radio you choose. I also have a spare amp unit that I don't know if it works properly given to me by Dingy that would only take a few minutes to find out if it works...

If your just interested in an AM/FM Radio, I would suggest looking for a high quality Car Radio that will fit in the left fairing. And Fabricate a Panel to mount it.

Unless you are fixed on a Stock Unit. However there are much better quality radios available now.

The Stock systems are quite complicated, and now " OLD " and most had problems. My 89 still has all the stock components, however I have considered many times just pulling it all out, and replaceing with an aftermarket unit.

IN Fact-- I might just do that this week, I need something to do. ( Its Raining in Seattle !!! ) :depressed:

Also, look for one that has an extra External Input, for useing an MP3 Player.

Or any other source of Audio you might want to use.

You might also, consider one of the Aftermarket Combination radio, CB, MP3 input handlebar mounted units.

---- Such as -- the J&M Handlebar mounted Audio System

Now this does not mean finding a Stock System, and installing it is impossible, however, as an Electronics type of guy , your going to run into a lot of problems.

Check out all of the the Aftermarket Audio systems, before you make a choice.

IF--- You just want Music, to listion to-- Consider, just an MP-3 player in your pocket feeding Earphones in a Helmet. Thats the simpilest solution.

But that J&M unit, gives, MP3 Input, amplifier, CB, Intercom, and NOAA Weather Radio, all in one.

You could then add a Small Car Radio, for AM/FM.

Lots of options, others will chime in here. There are many ways to do this.

Also, look for one that has an extra External Input, for useing an MP3 Player.

Or any other source of Audio you might want to use.

Yah! What George says! With external audio input jacks, we can help you pipe in your intercom and CB as well if you use those. We can tell you which wire to hook where, you will have to do the actual wiring yourself or find a local electron head to help you with it.

Another thing to look for is External output if you want to hook up the system to headsets but the output has to be "variable"...

The Radio and one speaker... Does anyone have any ideas where to get a unit and speaker(s)? Things started not working the end of the season and i need the radio on longer rides. Generally this is my quoting vehicle, but I'm headed to PA to a friends soon. Any help will be appreciated- Thanks, Dwayne

Dwayne, I also agree with a previous post, the connector for my radio had pushed one of it's contact pins out so I had to keep an eye on it whenever I removed the radio to do anything underneath it...and it just so happened to be one of the pins for the left speaker....

keep an eye on those pins

another thing you might want to keep an eye on is the C.L.A.S.S. controller, mine started acting weird, giving me error messages of E-01 or E-03. I took it out and found that the solder joints inside the controller itself had broken free, I re-soldered them and now my class works better (I just need to do some cleaning of it and maybe some new hoses and such)

hope this information has helped a little :fingers-crossed-emo

This may help you a bit. I took out the the original stereo all together. I put in a car CD stereo. When I did it I used one of those marine stereo covers to protect it from the elements. In hindsight, I should've used one like in the first & middle pictures that has a lid that slides in and out of the way. But the local marine/motor sports steelership was out of them and wasn't going to be getting anymore of them in. They only had one like the one on the picture on the right. So that's the one I went with. It sealed out the weather pretty good but the lid just flips up and hits the handle bar and gets in the way.

Another thought... My Wifey Poo got me a slick new cellphone that plays MP3's and has a FM tuner that seems to work pretty well. So I might just take out that CD stereo this spring and hook the phone to a small amp. to drive the new 4" speakers I got from Wally World for $24.99. They are VR3's. 100 watts/pair.

Also if you happen to have a GPS that plays MP3's or just an MP3 player it would also work. A lot of MP3 players also have FM tuners in them as well. The tuners don't always come in so well. They use the headphones as antennas. I had the thought of somehow wiring the cycle antennae into the headphone wiring somehow to help with reception. But if all you wanna do is play MP3's, that won't be an issue.

Bill