IGNORED

Changing 2nd Gen Speakers

Cougar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed out the front speakers today with the Polk 401's. Got them from Circuit City.

Have't tried them yet as I have other electrical stuff to finish up.

Does the bass blocker work that good that it should be included in this swap?

Where is best source and what should I be asking for? I know nothing of these things concerning audio equipment.

Larry

I ordered my Polk 400's yesterday from Crutchfield. They had 1 pair listed under the scratch and dent for $39.00 (the covers are scratched) and I ordered a second set from their outlet for $44.00. I checked today and they still list the 400's for $69.00 new with a $20.00 discount, Outlet for $44.00 and none left from Scratch and Dent. I don't know what the difference between a reg order and the Outlet but the Outlet and Scratch n Dent sales are still guaranteed and can be returned. Ended up with 4 speakers for $83.00. They emailed me today and said the order was shipped this morning. So far I'm liking this Crutchfield place, will let you know if the speakers are ok .... Jerry

ALSO, I have a referral code that anyone can use if they are going to order from Crutchfield's. It's worth a $20.00 discount on your order. If anyone is interested the first pm I get requesting the code can have it. :thumbsup:

Cougar how about these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150205776226&rd=1

Will they do same job and is the 0-800 HZ the right size. I saw another web site recommending 800 hz for 4" speakers.

Larry

BT: I don't plan on adding an amp system, just going with the stock system except for having changed out the front speakers.

• 3 months later...

I don't have an amp and they are a big improvement over stock with the stock radio... I think the big difference with the polks is they have better bass... I was one of the 1st to try the polks and have been touting their virtues.. I bought mine at Tweeter, Etc. for $99.00 now they're practally give'em away ... I gotta get 2 more for the back... I got a blown 1 in the back and the other's scratchy.

I don't have an amp and they are a big improvement over stock with the stock radio... I think the big difference with the polks is they have better bass... I was one of the 1st to try the polks and have been touting their virtues.. I bought mine at Tweeter, Etc. for $99.00 now they're practally give'em away ... I gotta get 2 more for the back... I got a blown 1 in the back and the other's scratchy.

Thanks...I'm gonna give em a try.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I need some help here. I put the new Polk speakers in (front and rear) back in Feb. I also installed an amp. They worked great. About a month ago I started getting static and an occasional chirping sound whenever I throttled up. Once I reached cruisin speed it would sound great. It progressively got worse. Now I have lots of feedback and chirping when I throttle up and sporadic chirping at cruisin speed. It sounds great when the bike is off. It sounds great when the bike is idling. It sounds great when you rev it at an idle. But put it in gear and take off and the music stops and the annoying sounds begin. I rechecked all the connections. In fact I soldered all connections. Checked for pinched and/or shorted wires. Everything looks good from fairing to trunk. Obviously I have missed something and it's driving me crazy.

If any of you 'electronic' wizards can give me any, ANY, words of wisdom or advice it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Semper Fi,

Jerry

Well I'm no wizard but I've installed a few electronic devices over the years... 1st thing I'd do is disconnect the amp and wire the radio directly to the speakers... If it works good direct you fried the amp.

semper fi

Edited by MAINEAC

Well I'm no wizard but I've installed a few electronic devices over the years... 1st thing I'd do is disconnect the amp and wire the radio directly to the speakers... If it works good direct you fried the amp.

semper fi

Thanks Maineac,

Tried that too. I bypassed the amp at the amp and still had the noise. My next step is to hook the original wires back to the speakers bypassing the new wires used for the amp. I have split the fairing about 4 times trying different things. I haven't bought the passing lamp spacer so it's a pain in the butt haveing to remove the passing lamps each time. I was hoping someone may have experienced something similar and have a fix before I remove the fairing again along with the passing lamps, again, along with the rear speaker pods, again.

For what it's worth I still get the noise through the speakers even though I have the radio turned off.

Semper Fi,

Jerry

Something IS wrong with the amp now. I had the radio on for awhile today. Got tired of the annoying noise so I turned the radio off. Later I turned the radio back on and had nothing.... no music, no noise, no nothing. Got home and checked the amp. Power light wasn't on. Checked both fuses, both are good. Checked the power connection. It's good. Checked the wiring...good. This afternoon I'm going to disassemble the amp and see if there is anything obvious like a fried bug or shorted metal shard. Anywho, I just want to get this resolved and hear some MUSIC!!!! Ride safe!

Semper Fi,

Jerry

Good luck Jerry, hope it works out.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a retailer that has the DB400. Have been looking for a while, since I first read this topic, and have never found them.

Jerry:

Until your amp quit I was thinking that you might be getting some electrical interference from the fuel pump, but now I am stumped as well. I hope you get it figured out. I don't like riding as much without my tunes.

Tom

Ride on....:680:

http://www.americanthunderaudio.com/Picture.aspx?width=190&height=190&id=4599259Price: $54.95Polk Audio db400 4" 2-way car speakers Product Features

* 2-way 4" car speakers

* polymer/mica composite woofer with butyl rubber surround

* liquid-cooled, silk/polymer composite 3/4" dome tweeter

* certified for marine use

* recommended power range: 4-35 watts RMS