IGNORED

lifting jack position

bikerjohn51

gents..... and ladies, where is the center of gravity point for lifting and changing out the 2 tires? and any precautions as to shimming, so that I do not damage anything. I still plan to "hang" it from the celing of the garage.....I have a chainfall set up, but plan to use that for extra security only......I don't want my baby to FALL...:no-no-no::no-no-no:............thanks in advance JOHN

John the safest way I've found to lift these bikes is using my Lift Adapter (shameless plug here) :whistling: No need for the chain fall either. I never even use the safety straps that generaly come with the jacks either.

As to your question of the balance point I've found it to be as a rule with a atv/mc jacks left lift arm to be aligned with the edge of the exhaust heat shield.

Here's the link to my ad in the classified section - http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/69/cat/7/limit/recent/date/1156239845

Larry

I changed tires last month with my HF ATV jack (twice, I pulled new tires off my '83 parts bike, and put them on my '87).

I think I centered the jack on the engine crankcase. Of course, I didn't have it strapped down- be careful when you tugging on the wrenches. When I took the front wheel off, it was heavy on the rear maybe 20 pounds, so I stuck a jack stand under the rear tire. Didn't have any problems when I pulled the rear wheel. If you don't want to use a jack stand, you'll have to move the ATV jack to the rear when you pull the front wheel, and to the front when you pull the rear. I have extra wheels, so I didn't have to pull both wheels at the same time.

Somehow, I ended up with 2 spare front wheels. Anyone need one, reasonable price? PM me.

thanks for the replies..... I guess I should have included the type of bike...... silly me ( or blame the night shifts) 1988 VR... I am assuming that there is no special precautions or concerns about the crushing effect on the mufflers or the cross piece underneath?? you see this is my first "heavy" bike, and it took 40 riding years to get in the saddle of one, (other monetary priorities) and would rather ask questions 2X up front, than have an oopsy.

STILL HOPING FOR "INDIAN SUMMER" AS THEY CALL IT UP HERE, TO GET THE LAST BIT OF RIDING IN.... KEEP YOU FINGERS CROSSED :bighug:

Depending on what you are doing and the accessories and gas, your center of balance will change. Best just to put the jack under the scoot, lift a little until both wheels are off the ground an inch or so. If they come off the ground more or less at the same time, you got it right, if the front one comes up first and the back one seems to be toooo heavy to lift, let it back down and move the lift a little to the rear. The opposite is also true. You should not have a problem with exhaust etc. but best to check when you put the lift under the scoot, you'll soon be able to tell. Hockey pucks or something similar will help out if needed. I always strap it down if I'm going to remove something from the front or rear, just makes me feel safer.

Carl is correct about getting the balance right. Don't worry about the pipes, they can hold the weight. At the GoldWing factory, they move the bikes around with a forklift by picking up on the pipes.

I always pull the wheels off to take them in for mounting. Quite often both at once. And I lift it high enough on the jack to pull the rear wheel out the bottom without removing the saddle bags. To get the right muffler off (the only one you need to remove) you need to have the bike on the centerstand to loosen the front bolt. Then put it on the jack (centerstand up) and tie it down.

I did the kneeling procedure as described in the tech articles. Felt more secure than jacking it up, and the front wheel was coming off for a tire anyway. It worked great.