I ride a 2005 RSTD mostly 2 up, when on longer trips with friends I usually will stop for gas before they do. I've noticed when the fuel guage gets down to about 1/8th of a tank, the guage disappears and the letter "F" shows up and it starts to count UP miles. How many miles does it give me before switching over to Reserve? Or is this my Reserve as the owner's manual states? How many miles can I push it after the "F" shows up?

Thanx to all in advance for any insight into this.

My 05' RSTD goes about 20 miles after the odometer shows "F" and starts counting up. At the 20 mile mark (or there abouts) it starts to sputter and I have to switch the petcock over to reserve fuel. FYI, I ride 1 up, so the mileage should vary a bit.

Hope this helps.:264:

How many miles does it give me before switching over to Reserve? Or is this my Reserve as the owner's manual states? How many miles can I push it after the "F" shows up?

Thanx to all in advance for any insight into this.

The reserve is manual under the left side of the tank. Once you know where it is it can be switched on the fly. The count up lasts between 10-20 miles depending on driving habits. I usually start to gradually loose power before having to switch....

Edited by Condor

The reserve is manual on the under the left side of the tank. Once you know where it is it can be switched on the fly. The count up lasts between 10-20 miles depending on driving habits. I usually start to gradually loose power before having to switch....

My answer would be exactly the same, and it totally depends on the speed that I have been riding, and if I've been riding into the wind or not.

Once I switch over to reserve, I have always felt that 40 more miles was safe. Never proved me wrong on this one.

BTW, I also ride an 05 RSTD.

Steve

Thanx to all of you for your replies. Each one helps alot. I'm the kind of person that once I get below 1/4 of a tank, I'm usually looking to top it off anyway. But when with a group, I don't want to slow them down by doing too many stops. Again Thanx all.

"But when with a group, I don't want to slow them down by doing too many stops."

Yer gonna slow em down a lot more if ya run outta gas. IMHO ya stop when you feel you need gas and if dat's not understood by the whole group then you need to find a more suitable group to ride with.

Boomer....who sez rushing from point A to point B don't add much to the enjoyment of the ride.:whistling:

Reserve? What's that?

When I ran my bike on RUN, I would go almost exactly 14 miles on F before I had to switch to reserve. Now I run all the time on RESERVE and don't worry about it until I am 35 miles into F, normally.

But really, I know my bike will usually go 150 miles on a tank. When I am at 100 miles, I am thinking ahead. I want to be filling up at 125-135.

I don't use the F counter except as a verification that my fuel economy is as expected. 114 miles is about average, but I have had it come on as low as 80 and as high as 135 miles. I adjust accordingly.

Dave