IGNORED

Ask the Pros

Yammer Dan

Might be a short time fix for a couple more years, but did you ever consider doing body work?

Might be cheaper than replacing it if the drive train is still good....:2cents:

I thought about that but if you took a look under that thing it is really bad where you can't see.

I always thought they only put the 3.8 in the higher end models. dam the prices are high down there.

Bought 03 impala two years ago with 60,000 miles put on 55,000 miles on the 3.4 and paid less than 5,000 CDN. Starting to rust a little but that is normal here with the amount of salt they use.

Bikes are cheaper cars are not. :think:

BRad

If it was me I would be going for the buick, My neighbour is on his second one, and he is pretty picky when it comes to vehicles. I don't know what he has for power under the hood though. $6000.00 seems pretty steep to me. I am on my second 3.4 with no intake issues (so far, and touch wood when I say that)

frank

I have had four Buicks in the last 10 years and currently own two (Regal and LeSabre). Both have the 3800 engine and I wouldn't drive anything else. (Well, maybe a Cadillac that I have my eye on!). The Regal had the intake gasket replaced when I bought it (by the dealer) and that is the only thing that has been done with either car. This is a common problem with the 3800 engine and should be investigated by you before you purchase the car. Other than that gasket, never had a mechanical problem with either car other than regular maintenance items ie: oil change, tires, etc. The Regal is a '96 and is beginning to show rust this winter due to salt on the roads, but the body has held up well until this winter. I am going to sell the Regal and probably buy that Caddy this year. I have never checked the mileage on the Regal as we only drive it around town and don't care what it gets, but we get about 32 MPG in the LeSabre on the highway and 22 MPG around town. I usually drive the speed limit and am not a leadfoot, so the mileage is probably typical.

If you decide on the Buick, make sure that the recalls have been completed. This make/model year had at least 5 recalls issued. Two were for potential fires and one was for a steering failure potential. Hate to see you end up sitting in a ditch somewhere in a smoking ashtray.

Can't see the rust til you get down under the thing. I could patch holes but this is pretty bad. Lower rocker panels under plastic trim gone and door frame eating away. Much longer and floor pans and roof will be all holding it togather. You could not see this when I bought the thing. I first noticed whem I started to jack the thing up and jack just kept going up without raising car. Salesman probally still laughing.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Recalls for the Buick. The 3.1 liter is prone to cylinder head failure. 75% of the time you will have to replace the head as the gasket is not the cause.

Number Date Title

04052 09/01/2004 Recall - Headlamp Non-Compliance

NHTSA04V375000 08/06/2004 Recall 04V375000: Low Beam Headlamp Bulp Replacement

NHTSA99V356000 12/17/1999 Recall 99V356000: Headlamp Adjuster Calibration Defect

NHTSA99V170000 08/25/1999 Recall 99V170000: ABS Motor Electrical Short

for the intrepid. BTW if it is the 2.7 engine, they have a catastrophic engine failure due to a under sized oil pick up in the engine oil pan. There is an update for it. Transmission, ECM, and TCM are prone to failure which results in transmission failure.

Number Date Title

C45 06/01/2004 Recall - A/T Shifter Ignition/Park Interlock Defect

NHTSA04V021000 01/01/2004 Recall 04V021000: Shift Interlock Failure

C04 04/01/2003 Recall - Driver's Seat Recliner Bolts

NHTSA03V035000 02/01/2002 Recall 03V035000: Seat Back Recliner Bolt Breakage

978 08/01/2001 Recall - Seat Belt Retractor Replacement

NHTSA01V119000 04/04/2001 Recall 01V119000: Seat Belt Retractor

NHTSA00V034000 02/03/2000 Recall 00V034000: Seat Belt Defect

866 02/03/2000 Recall - Shoulder Belt Height Adjuster Bolt

The buick all the way. More reliable far better ride and much quieter inside. Plus chrysler has a history of transmission and torque convertor issue's. The buick 3.8lL is almost as bullit proof as the venture engine. I put 480,000 km (about 300,000 miles) on mine and never touched it. With regards to the intake manifold it is rare and it is still easier and less costly to fix than a transmission if it did leak.

Edited by saddlebum