IGNORED

Increasing horsepower

I was talking to Yogi on this site and he said that he head that Dothan Powersports in Dothan, AL would do a mod on the venture that would increase the hp to 120. Today I rode to Dothan with some friends to the Dothan Bikefest and on the way back we stopped at Dothan Powersports. I talked to the service manager about this. He said he used to have a tour deluxe and did this mod on it. They re-route the air intake and mount four K&N air filters under the tank. Then they put on either bub or barons pipes, I don't remember which pipes he said, and they rejet the carbs. The manager said this would increase the hp to 120 and increase your gas mileage. Just wondering if any of you have heard of this or tried this. Oh, and the cost is $1,200, which means I won't being doing this anytime soon.

I don't know. Let's see more air flow, less fuel usage, 1/3 more HP. Hummm, I don't think so. Of course you have to insert the $1,200 in the formula somewhere, nah still don't think so.

But of course I have been wrong before, I think, maybe once a lot of years ago.

Jerry

If ya want more power get a first gen:cool10::cool10::cool10: If ya want more speed get a first gen:cool10::cool10::cool10: . If you spend a few bucks you can do some mods to the engine but then you open a whole can of worms and reliability will be a potential issue. Hey for 1200 bucks it is worth a try but you will need to port the heads so they will flow better and deliver more air to the combustion chamber. Be careful and have fun

I don't know. Let's see more air flow, less fuel usage, 1/3 more HP. Hummm, I don't think so. Of course you have to insert the $1,200 in the formula somewhere, nah still don't think so.

But of course I have been wrong before, I think, maybe once a lot of years ago.

Jerry

Stock is 97hp,, to 120 is ? ? ?

less than 25%. Not sure if you can really get 120hp, but almost any modern stock EPA passing engine out there on any vehicle if you give it a less restrictive exhaust, free flowing intake, and rejet (or remap if FI) you can get decent gain.

Stock is 97hp,, to 120 is ? ? ?

less than 25%. Not sure if you can really get 120hp, but almost any modern stock EPA passing engine out there on any vehicle if you give it a less restrictive exhaust, free flowing intake, and rejet (or remap if FI) you can get decent gain.

I was half kidding but okay a 25 % increase, still seems to be a lot of HP increase for just increasing air flow.

Also don't think these bikes dyno at 97HP, I can't remember but I think it's closer to 85 HP then 97 HP.

My point is I don't think you can increase air flow to increase HP without increasing fuel flow. Of course I'm not talking about Turbo's, precooler's etc.

Jerry

I was talking to Yogi on this site and he said that he head that Dothan Powersports in Dothan, AL would do a mod on the venture that would increase the hp to 120. Today I rode to Dothan with some friends to the Dothan Bikefest and on the way back we stopped at Dothan Powersports. I talked to the service manager about this. He said he used to have a tour deluxe and did this mod on it. They re-route the air intake and mount four K&N air filters under the tank. Then they put on either bub or barons pipes, I don't remember which pipes he said, and they rejet the carbs. The manager said this would increase the hp to 120 and increase your gas mileage. Just wondering if any of you have heard of this or tried this. Oh, and the cost is $1,200, which means I won't being doing this anytime soon.
I think that guy is a little optimistic with his power gain estimates. I doubt he would get very many people to give him $1200 if he told you you were going to gain 5hp and loose 2mpg.

Where was that Thread in which the Student theoretically proofed that the Hell will freeze over ?? :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Hey, i would give him 1500 Bucks. But only if he can proof the 20 HP Gain against 3 Dyno-Runs after the Mod. 3 Runs before, get the Average HP and Torque, modify the Bike and another 3 Dyno Runs to gather an Average ...

If this proofs the Gain in Power, i would give him 1500, if not ... i wouldn't charge him on the Tires which have been spend on the Dyno.

You'd actually pay 1500 dollars (Deutsche Mark?) for 20 HP? Open things up and those 20HP are gonna be in the upper rev range. Why bother?

It'd be cheaper to re-gear it (V-max gear) and probably more effective. :)

Yes, i'd pay 1500 USD or Euros for real !!!! 20HP.

Because ...

Ten oder twelve HP are probably 'easy' to find ... like said above.

But then, Things are really getting expensive. Those small Carbs, you can't get anything more out of them. So, without touching the Motor inside, you need to get more Mixture in. Individual Air Filters with proper rejetting will help. This is not enough to gain 20HP. This means to mount other, bigger Carbs which do not fit easy, nor they are cheap to get ...

Because there is simple not enough Room to Fit bigger Carbs, i'd go with an EFI System. Which means, 1500 Euros or 2500 Bucks ...

So, if that Guy will produce real 20 HP with minor Expense, he's a Wizard and should be payed for his Performance instead of getting payed for Parts and Labour. :D

Changing the rear End would be mandatory dued to my ridding Style. But his doesn't produce more Power.

hello

there is a barons carb kit that comes with the 4 k&n filters and jet kit for the tour delux for a llittle over 200.00 buks i dont know if it will worlk on the rsv i thought about getting it just to get reid of the outer air filters but the say the jet kit will not mahe any difference to the carbs

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Less restriction and better jetting make an engine both more efficient and produce better hp.. This means it will get better gas mileage at the same even speed. That doesn't mean if you use all the extra horse power you will still get better mileage!!!

I think the 97hp is at the crank on these bikes, so yes rear wheel dyno would be about 10 to 12% less.. But then I was assuming when 120hp was used that was a crank # also.. People that don't produce a dyno sheet to back up their claims always talk Crank #s as it is more impressive.

I do have to agree with the comment that the gain would be in the top end and why bother. I rarely ever get anywhere near the red line so wouldn't even consider it.

That seem to be one of the first things that came up with the 2nd gen., (power). When I went to my first Street Vibartions up in Reno, I ran into three other guys that owned RSV's, and they told me what to do, and I'll pick up 12 more horsepower. $85.00 for K&N's, $389 for Baron Nasty Boys, and no rejetting. I noticed the difference in power right off the bat, and picked up between 2 & 3 more mpg., no re-jetting involved. That was 70,000 miles ago, and the bikes been running great. The Nasty Boys, which I guess they don't make any more, are a little on the noisy side, but I learned to live with them by using ear plugs. Not as loud as the 4x2's, so no problem listening to the radio, and I'm satisfied with the power. My 83 Venture being 750 lbs. and the 99RSV being 870, for 120 lbs. heavier, I think the 99 does pretty well. If you have to go any faster, then this is the wrong bike for you! :confused24: :whistling:

I fall back to my Warrior mods. I replaced the air intake with a much better one, replace the exhaust with a two into one and had the bike custom mapped on the dyno. Went from 76 rwhp stock to 91 rwhp modded. thats 15 rwhp gain and way less than 1200.00. For what they are charging and doing it seems impossible for them to gain that much. Like it or not, FI is more efficient and easier to tune and I couldn't get that type of gain on the Warrior.

Less restriction and better jetting make an engine both more efficient and produce better hp.. This means it will get better gas mileage at the same even speed. That doesn't mean if you use all the extra horse power you will still get better mileage!!!

I think the 97hp is at the crank on these bikes, so yes rear wheel dyno would be about 10 to 12% less.. But then I was assuming when 120hp was used that was a crank # also.. People that don't produce a dyno sheet to back up their claims always talk Crank #s as it is more impressive.

I do have to agree with the comment that the gain would be in the top end and why bother. I rarely ever get anywhere near the red line so wouldn't even consider it.

The Loss on the rear Wheel on our Bikes is more than 10 or 12 Percent. My Max made 88kw on the rear Wheel, this converts to 118.01 hp, Power on the crank is stated by Yamaha with 102.97 kW or 138.09 hp. This computes to 14.5 Percent. As we have seen, my Max wasn't the worst in that Loss. We have had seen on a other Max with as near as 17 Percent Loss this Day.

Of Course, if we talk about HP, it's always on the Crankshaft. That's because there is the standardised Point. If talking about other Points, you have always to say the Point in Addition. Something as 'made 10 Percent more on the rear Wheel'.

But there are a Lot different hp in World, british HP(bHP), french Cheval(cv), german Pferdestaerke (PS), all they have in common is the Diversity of the Kind of Measurement. It depends on the Subsystems which have to work during the Procedure.The only real Deal is Power in Watt.

Power on the crank is stated by Yamaha with 102.97 kW or 138.09 hp. This computes to 14.5 Percent. .

Right from the American Yamaha RSV web site "79 cubic-inch liquid-cooled, V-four tuned to put out class-leading power — 97hp @ 6000 rpm and maximum torque at 89 ft.-lb. @ 4750 rpm"

I checked several international Yamaha sites and do not see any horsepower quotes.

As far as rear wheel HP,,, gearing can make a difference, and a Max is both geared and tuned differently than an RSV

Right from the American Yamaha RSV web site "79 cubic-inch liquid-cooled, V-four tuned to put out class-leading power — 97hp @ 6000 rpm and maximum torque at 89 ft.-lb. @ 4750 rpm"

I checked several international Yamaha sites and do not see any horsepower quotes.

As far as rear wheel HP,,, gearing can make a difference, and a Max is both geared and tuned differently than an RSV

I don't know what you mean ?

I know that Yamaha doesn't state any Quotes on Power on their Website. I don't know why's that, but it is like it is.

I stated the Results of the Dyno Runs on my Max and computed them to DIN-PS ... german hp. The Factory Power came out of the official Papers. This was just to show the Loss between Power on Crank and rear Wheel.

I do not know how a different rear End Ratio or Gear Ratio would make any major Change to the Loss in the Drivetrain ??

Anyways, my Max has a Venture rear End, so the Loss in Percent is quite accurate when thinking about transfering this to the Ventures of any Year.

Guest KitCarson

Just an observation: I do not think I want anymore horsepower. Other than a 750 Honda I once had, Crickett has all the get up and go I would ever want, I love to hit the entrance ramp to the interstate and let her run in second and third gear. By the time I get to fourth I am chicken anyway!! Nope, I do not need anymore Hp.

Guest tx2sturgis
Sure they do. It is right on the starmotorcycle website.

79 cubic-inch liquid-cooled, V-four tuned to put out class-leading power — 97hp @ 6000 rpm and maximum torque at 89 ft.-lb. @ 4750 rpm — for incomparable touring performance.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelfeatures/4/0/features.aspx

I wonder what the class is they are referring to. Can't be the Goldwing...it has MORE power. Might be the Harley ElectraGlide, it does make more power than those, well stock anyway.

I wonder what the Venture makes at the RPMs we actually ride at.

I attached a chart that I got off the Venturers.org site. At a steady cruise of about 75 mph, apparently the bike is turning about 3500 RPM....maybe those of you with a tach can verify or correct this.

At that RPM, I wonder what the HP and torque values are? Does anyone have a dyno chart from their stock or modified bike that they can post?

Just wondering.

http://www.venturers.org/NextGenTech/2ndGen/images/vtach

http://www.venturers.org/NextGenTech/2ndGen/images/vtach.

Just an observation: I do not think I want anymore horsepower. Other than a 750 Honda I once had, Crickett has all the get up and go I would ever want, I love to hit the entrance ramp to the interstate and let her run in second and third gear. By the time I get to fourth I am chicken anyway!! Nope, I do not need anymore Hp.

Ride a Max and you ever will think about it .... Chicken or not. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Once you've got that, there will be a Feeling of "Man, this Thing really could have some Horses more to activate !! " soon ...

I sincerly do not believe that there will a Time in my Life that i think, "this Bike has too much Power". It's only a Question of Time and getting used to it. Of Course, from a unbiased Mind, my Max has already plenty or enough Power for Street riding, but i tell you, i've ridden so much of tuned Maxxes, every Time i think about it, there is something dripping out of my Mouth ...

My only Thing is, as i'm a born swabian, i'm tooo cheap to justify a massive 1500 cc Intrusion in my Bike. So far ...

I have Plan's, but no Motor to build up. I phoned with a Junk Yard today, they want 1200 Euros for a used '88 1300cc with 31800 Miles on the Odo or 1500 Euros for a '90 Motor with 23200 Miles on it. Even if you leave the Currency Exchange out, this would be the same Amount in US Dollars :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: and, not to forget to mention, they want another Motor back in Exchange :no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

[Dreammode]

Me thinks, as i have two spare Vmax Engines in the Shop, there could be a Time next Year, where the Venture looses her Motor and will get the '99 Engine in ...

The Venture Motor gets the complete Heads replaced from the second spare Engine, a '85 Motor with the sharpest stock Cams :D :D :D other Pistons and Con Rods, a little this and that, a FMM and as a Result somewhere around 150 hp @ 7400 RpM on the Wheel. This Setup in my Max, which has lost some 30 Kilo's of Weight.... That would be a fine Ensemble for me. [/Dreammode]

I wonder what the class is they are referring to. Can't be the Goldwing...it has MORE power. Might be the Harley ElectraGlide, it does make more power than those, well stock anyway.

I wonder what the Venture makes at the RPMs we actually ride at.

I attached a chart that I got off the Venturers.org site. At a steady cruise of about 75 mph, apparently the bike is turning about 3500 RPM....maybe those of you with a tach can verify or correct this.

At that RPM, I wonder what the HP and torque values are? Does anyone have a dyno chart from their stock or modified bike that they can post?

Just wondering.

http://www.venturers.org/NextGenTech/2ndGen/images/vtach.

I DON'T STILL HAVE MY PRINT OUT BUT THE TORQUE PEAKED IN .002 SECONDS @93 ftlbs AND THE TEST WAS A 2500RPM DUMP THE HP PEAKED AT REV LIMITER