IGNORED

Im really turning to the Dark side

E-Fishin-C

I have a 2008 Ultra do in first week of Dec. I went with it mostly because it fits better. After owning an 05 RSV I found it to be a bit large for me. I really, really hope I don't regret. I'm looking foward to post my thoughts on the difs between the two.

I was at the yamaha dealer in Tallahassee, Fl thursday and they had just gotten a yamaha raider. I had seen one in magazines but this was the first time to see one in person. It is one more good looking bike. I wanted it so bad and if I rode just one up I would buy it in a heart beat. The list price is $13,999 which is a low price for a bike that looks like a $40,000 custom bike. I really like the looks of the ultra classic, especially the 08 copper and black color but I have head too many negative comments from people that own an ultra classic. When I left Tallahassee thursday I stopped at a custom bike dealer in Thomasville, GA. A guy came in and told me how good my venture looked and said he had an 02 venture and sold it to get the ultra classic. He said his wife loved the venture and they took many trips with it but he just wanted a harley. The first thing he had to do to make the ultra comfortable for his wife was to buy a kit that moves the rear seat back 4 inches. He said they still can't ride it in the summer because it puts out so much heat his wife can't stand to ride on the back. He said he was going to buy a Kawasaki Vulcan for his son and they were going to ride it in the summer. I haven't head this from just one or two people but from everyone I know that owns an ultra. A friend of mine just bought a new 07 screamin eagle ultra classic and he had to take it to a shop that specializes in modifying bikes to get them to put something on it to cool the back cylinder so his wife can ride. I can't believe harley charges what they do for this bike and no one can ride two up without spending 2 or 3 thousand dollars to get it where your wife can ride with you. But it is a good looking bike.

E,, I owned a 1978 1/2 (Harley switched to CDI half way thru 78 is why its called that) Lowrider that I put THOUSANDS of miles on.. I rode that puppy from Michigan all over the west coast and up into Idaho.. It was one of the funnest bikes I ever owned.. Sold it in 84 to build a house to raise my kids in,, I actually made money on the bike in resale... Her name (the bikes) was Hoglia and she was my best friend back then....

I only say the above because the bike you are showing reminds me a LOT of my Lowrider,, cept mine was silver.. That pic brings back some REAL fabulous memories of some serious road time.. Is that model an "FX"??

Nice scoot!!!

'Puc

Guest KitCarson

That heat issue is just the tip of the iceberg. I like Harley Bikes also for the look, sound, and low center of balance. But that is not worth all the rest of it, mainly the expense of owning one, and the fact if you like to ride and can only afford one bike, yours may very well be in the shop most of the time. Harley owners are very loyal, they will defend these bikes to the death, it is the great American tradition, made in America, for America, everything about motorcycling was invented and is directly related to Harley.

I do not know that much about the 2008 models yet, but I am well aware of the 2007 model. Not only do you have the heat issue , but in most of the bikes you have a transmission noise just like we have in the Venture, only it is in 2nd and 5 th gear. It is not the signature chirp we have, but more like a bag of marbles rolling around in the gear box. Harley unlike Yamaha, will not make any effort to warranty this for the customer. They will however sell you a retrofit kit to correct this situation. This retrofit with labor and all is in the area of $2200 bucks. So add that to the $2000 for the seat move back and the other $1800 to change the computer and wiring to shut down one cylinder at idle speed to combat the heat........now add $700 dollars for an oil cooler and labor.....

I do not know what year it was, but very recently they were also having trouble with the cam bearings. This is a very expensive rebuild also. The last couple years they have not used cam bearings, but allowed the cam to be the bearing? (Get a mechanic to explain this one)

I love the classic looks and sound of the Harley, most likely more than anyone I know.........I have owned 4 of them. I almost recently over this clutch basket issue owned the 5th one.......I am very glad I did not buy it.

The venture has a few issues, but the bottom line is it is reliable, and 100,000 miles on one is a very easy goal.

Sorry Harley Davidson, you come to us with a whole sack full of situations, you are tradition, all that bikes are about, but you are a royal pain. The divorce is final, I will never own another!!

Yes the raider is a very nice looking bike, and very responsive. I rode one at the dealership in Rock Hill. It is a nice around town cruiser, best have a steel butt, for a long ride, and your passenger........one trip and I bet they will not want to go the next time.

Guest KitCarson
I have a 2008 Ultra do in first week of Dec. I went with it mostly because it fits better. After owning an 05 RSV I found it to be a bit large for me. I really, really hope I don't regret. I'm looking foward to post my thoughts on the difs between the two.

Hi Ken..........well there is the fact a Harley is magic!! It is a real motorcycle, like a iron horse, that big twin is unique and has almost a mystical attraction. Hey there is a forum kinda like this one, where you can go and read all the complaints the owners have about the Harley machines, you can learn a lot there , would not suggest joining it, some of those guys get to shooting at each other :sign20: it is called http://www.hdtalking.com

The wife has owned two 883 sporties, I've owned a 350 sprint way back, plus a 1200 sporty and then my 1998 roadglide was our last HD. Never ever a problem that left us bikeless or stranded. We might buy other HD products, but not the ones they're producing now; Because of the heat issues and other teething problems they're having due to the too frequent engine changes HD has been doing. The old familiar, reliable, rebuildable, repairable, easily worked on engines are now in the past. They're now among many other HD legends and memories that some like us two have lived and loved.

Guess I am the only person who rides their Harley in the Texas summer heat and has not had a single mechanical issue. Hard to judge the reliability of a bike from a forum. Thats where we go to find solutions, not post about the problems we are not having. Just read this forum - bad real brakes, someone just lost a cylinder, switches on kickstands going bad, plastic that falls off. Sorry folks, but no bike is perfect, not mine, not yours and not the ones being designed for next year.

Nice looking bike Charlie - Harley has several new ones out I would like to own, as does Honda, as does Yamaha. Problem is I can only justify one. Has nothing to do with what I can or cannot afford, but what I can justify in my own mind.

Guess I am the only person who rides their Harley in the Texas summer heat and has not had a single mechanical issue. Hard to judge the reliability of a bike from a forum. Thats where we go to find solutions, not post about the problems we are not having. Just read this forum - bad real brakes, someone just lost a cylinder, switches on kickstands going bad, plastic that falls off. Sorry folks, but no bike is perfect, not mine, not yours and not the ones being designed for next year.

Nice looking bike Charlie - Harley has several new ones out I would like to own, as does Honda, as does Yamaha. Problem is I can only justify one. Has nothing to do with what I can or cannot afford, but what I can justify in my own mind.

Good post Rick... Got tell you guys something.. My 78 shovel absoulutly LOVED the desert heat.. I spent several months (over 4 summers) out in the Arizona - Utah - Montana deserts ghost towning during the years that I owned it and it NEVER failed me.. It was actually kinda funny cause the motor would get real loose and kinda sound like my grammas old wringer wash machine -- just running free as could be... Gosh those were fun days..

Of course hittin it on the Venture is just as much fun BUT that dont discount the ball I had riding HD during those years..

The ONLY issue I ever had with HD was the cost of repair parts,, even cables were 4 times the price back then.. Now adays it seems like our Jap parts have caught up with that issue though (unless you use e-bay used parts - GREAT DEALS).. That issue is something I will never understand BUT apparently lots of other bikers didnt care - HD has a HUGE yuppy following nowadays that spend zillions of dollars on thier bikes...

Personally, I havent met a scoot I didnt like....

'Puc

Guest KitCarson

Hi Rick: I will take a moment to say......we are sorry!! But we are having great fun!! I will behave a little bit, for a day or two. I also love the Harley machine, just never had the luck to get a good one. I had three of them during the AMF days, and the most recent one is the new mass produced yuppie era machine that has honestly a lot of situations, and yes not with all bikes, as is with our ventures. There are a lot of members on this forum, and a lot of isolated problems, other than the brakes none of them are real serious, and it seems to be more than it is , especially this time of year , when everyone has time to yap about them.

Do not take this nonsense serious, most of us love to mess around, I know I do. I am watching the new ones still, sure would like to have those ABS brakes. I love the sound of that twin and those rumbling pipes too........Hey you got your mirrors welded on yet:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

see told you.......I will behave tomorrow!!

Hi Rick: I will take a moment to say......we are sorry!! But we are having great fun!! I will behave a little bit, for a day or two. I also love the Harley machine, just never had the luck to get a good one. I had three of them during the AMF days, and the most recent one is the new mass produced yuppie era machine that has honestly a lot of situations, and yes not with all bikes, as is with our ventures. There are a lot of members on this forum, and a lot of isolated problems, other than the brakes none of them are real serious, and it seems to be more than it is , especially this time of year , when everyone has time to yap about them.

Do not take this nonsense serious, most of us love to mess around, I know I do. I am watching the new ones still, sure would like to have those ABS brakes. I love the sound of that twin and those rumbling pipes too........Hey you got your mirrors welded on yet:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

see told you.......I will behave tomorrow!!

BOY, KIT!!!

talk about "suckin' up" to the boss's brother?

you went over the top! but then you LIKE to jump out in front of the bus!

lol:stirthepot::stirthepot::no-no-no::rotf:

just jt

Guest KitCarson

The bosses brother?????????? um........er......uh oh!! :stirthepot::stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl:well if he rides a bike he must have a sense of humor, hopefully water has gotten into their ammo!!

naw, I don't feel the need to weld the mirrors - I just use superglue! :-)

Hey, Don knows by know that whatever he does, I have to do the opposite. No offense taken to any of this.

I do agree that most of the problems any of us have on our bikes are pretty minor. Modern engineering just does not permit many major problems. As I have said before, every brand has its quirks and its good points. Personally, makes no difference to me which brand you choose. I just felt the need for a Harley this time around. It was the right bike for me. 'nuff said.

Everyone have a good Thanksgiving.

Guest KitCarson

Hi Rick: Actually, honestly, I am glad someone on here has a nice Harley. My divorce with them may not be final!! One may sneak up on me yet! I do love the classic look, the mystical appeal of a REAL motorcycle. There is just something about one, most do not know unless they have ever rode one. I am watching.......glad someone has one........I will not sell the Venture, plan to keep it, but come 2009 might want another REAL bike!! I will ask you end of next year how it has done. You and your family have a good Thanksgiving Also.

Guest tx2sturgis

I thought I ALREADY went to the Dark Side!!! I was riding a Harley and bought a Venture!

My friends all say I went to the Dark Side....

Whatever you ride....let the force be with you!

:322:

Guest tx2sturgis

Here is a message I posted on the YamahaStarRiders Yahoo group a while back...I edited it slightly to make it match better, but the gist is, my observations from the saddle of both bikes. Focusing on the different hardware is OK, but this is more of a subjective rider's observations.

---Brian

Republic of Texas

I recently bought a Royal Star Venture, and kept my Harley Electraglide. I get LOTS of comments when I'm riding the Venture, along the lines of, 'I thought you rode Harleys!', 'You switched brands, huh?' and the one I like the best, 'What IS that?'

I'm a 'motorcycle' person, and although I consider myself brand loyal, I dont think that attitude has to restrict me to ONE brand of machine for the rest of my riding life. All these two wheeled machines are fun in many ways, and I prefer to have mulitple riding experiences, not just a few.

These two bikes are as different as night and day. Nothing beats the public acceptance and 'wow' factor when I ride up on my full dress Hog. It sounds great. It runs great. Torquey and comfortable, its like an old recliner. Fits me perfect, requires no excuses, and always ready to plop down into and enjoy life in the slower lane.

The Venture is a bit more hi-tech, well, hi tech compared to the Glide. It isn't fuel injected like the Glide, but otherwise its a more modern type of engine and driveline combo. Fast and sure-footed, but quieter and less of that 'in your face' attitude. I can stream by mostly unnoticed by other motorists, almost goldwing-like, and it is also comfortable, but in more of a sporty-fun-run-up-the-revs-and-watch-everything-get-blurry kind of way.

It has less weather protection, but more horsepower. The engine doesn't bake me on hot days, but refuses to give me soothing warmth on those cooler mornings, as the radiator thows off all the BTU's and I never feel 'em. The cassette player? Whats up with that, Yamaha? And I nearly got crushed trying to check the oil level!

Bigger tires, 2 inches longer, wider and taller than my Glide, and a hundred pounds heavier, and maybe 20 more horses, its a handful compared to the lower center of gravity on the Glide. The hydraulic clutch is NUMB. No feedback about the friction point gets thru to my left hand. So I have to listen for that quiet engine to tell me, 'its ok, i'm ready to roll'. My Glide, on the other hand, with its tractor-like off-idle torque, will surge forward if you even THINK of lessening your grip on the clutch lever.

The Glide gets more miles per gallon, but the Venture gets more miles per tank, thanks to one more gallon of the good stuff.

The Glide is made in the USA, but nearly everything you buy for it, metal, chrome, leather, or plastic, is made in Taiwan or Indonesia. The Venture is made in Japan, but so far, ALL the Yamaha add-on bits I've bought for it were made in the USA!

Like a son and a daughter, they are different, yet they both are mine, and I love them. They get along fine in the garage together. No fighting at all! Only thing is, I havent named the Venture yet. My last two Harleys have been named, and the names suited them well. The Venture? So far, its personality has not hinted at a name yet, and I have been listening. The Harley has a voice I can not ignore. The Royal Star just quietly does its job, mostly mute, but still, within, a bit of a brute.