IGNORED

Chief or not to Chief???

royalstar09

I have been offer a position in our fire department as Chief. I have many many years commited to the dept and feel like I am ready for it, but its a huge responsibility just the same. At least they gave me plenty of time to think it over. I was asked Monday, meeting is Wednesday :whistling:

I already have my business, I'm a board member for our 911 emergency services, member of the community betterment association, do all the presentations from the fire dept to daycares and home schooled children, have 4 children and a wife and now they want me to be Chief :confused07: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :confused07:

But other then that I dont have much going on so I am considering it. :stirthepot:

Congrats INDEED but the other question you might need to ask... how will this affect your riding season?!

I'd sooner work my fingers to the bone in the winter time just so I can ride worry free all summer long.. ;)

I teach motorcycle safety courses in the summer months to pay for my road trips.. 1 week of courses = one week on the road, staying in hotels with hot tubs.. now THAT's the way to do it.. hehe

Congrats INDEED but the other question you might need to ask... how will this affect your riding season?!

I'd sooner work my fingers to the bone in the winter time just so I can ride worry free all summer long.. ;)

I teach motorcycle safety courses in the summer months to pay for my road trips.. 1 week of courses = one week on the road, staying in hotels with hot tubs.. now THAT's the way to do it.. hehe

Trust me when I say I thought about this and our riding. BUT I figure Id have a spectacular Asst. Chief and if need be he is more then capable of managing while im "in-disposed". :)

Guest scarylarry

That can be a tough call, is it contract, how political can it be?

Like me I turn down alot of promotions cause of it being contract and I know the people that are there now won't be there in few yrs..

So I play it safe and stay put.

Them are the questions you have to answer

That is a tough question, I think it is awesome that they have that much respect for you, I know the job comes with a good pay raise, but you act hesitant. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate already, is it worth the extra hassles and responsibilities, you only have one life, this is not a dress rehearsel, you have to ask yourself if you can be chief and still have time to do the things you love? The grass is not always greener. Good luck, and let us know what you do.:thumbsup2:

That can be a tough call, is it contract, how political can it be?

Like me I turn down alot of promotions cause of it being contract and I know the people that are there now won't be there in few yrs..

So I play it safe and stay put.

Them are the questions you have to answer

I guess I should clear the air. We are a well organized, very respected volunteer department. Not your typical image of volunteer foundation savers here. We are FFI and FFII certified. We are Hazmat certified. Run a kick azz responder program with 4 EMT's and 12 basic med responders. 2 Pumpers, 2 Brush units, 2 tankers and provide mutual aid to 3 neighboring towns. So not saying it is much different then a paid career dept, but it is some. Id have a rural board, and city council to answer to. Not a issue their they have great respect for me already. So yeah its a step up with more responsibilities, but without all the political crap that you would expect to find in a paid department.

I do know that being the Chief takes up ALOT of your personal time. There's a whole lot more to it than fighting fires. You seem to be involved in quite a few things right now...

When do you have time for those 4 kids and a wife? I'm just sayin'.... been there.

Think hard about it.

I do know that being the Chief takes up ALOT of your personal time. There's a whole lot more to it than fighting fires. You seem to be involved in quite a few things right now...

When do you have time for those 4 kids and a wife? I'm just sayin'.... been there.

Think hard about it.

You would be suprised at how easy it is to juggle. I get asked often when or if I sleep. But in reality its all about how you prioritise. By the way 2 of the 4 boys really are not boys. One is 19 and attending college. One is 18 and in the US Army (E3 airborn infantry) :uk2:

So its not as complicated as it seems. BUT it is a huge decision just the same. One I am not taking lightly I can promise you. :confused07:

I guess I should clear the air. We are a well organized, very respected volunteer department. Not your typical image of volunteer foundation savers here. We are FFI and FFII certified. We are Hazmat certified. Run a kick azz responder program with 4 EMT's and 12 basic med responders. 2 Pumpers, 2 Brush units, 2 tankers and provide mutual aid to 3 neighboring towns. So not saying it is much different then a paid career dept, but it is some. Id have a rural board, and city council to answer to. Not a issue their they have great respect for me already. So yeah its a step up with more responsibilities, but without all the political crap that you would expect to find in a paid department.

The answer to the question might be found by comparing where your department is and where you would like to see it go.

Let me show some age here - in 1974 I was one year out of high school and signed on to volunteer for our county fire department, at that time being one of the youngest most thought I wouldn't make the "grade" not to brag but I did and for 20 years served with pride - not for me but for what our little group of volunteers became, and is still growing (check this link - look around the pages related to the fire department: http://www.coweta.ga.us/Index.aspx?page=139 )

So if you have a "vision" for where your department "needs" to go to serve it's community - go ahead and take another step and apply your skills to leadership.

While I do not live, nor have ever been in you community, let me say thanks for ALL your service.

What made me volunteer - at 15 our home burnt to the ground - totaled. My dad had taken us all out to dinner and when we returned all that was left was "smoke, fire and ashes".