IGNORED

Chrome Trunk Frame.....

You guys might just want to pull your trunk and check the mounting bolt holes on the chrome trunk frame.

When Squid and I pulled my damaged trunk off this past weekend we discovered that the FRONT mounting bolt hole plates on my trunk frame were cracked... and it appears the only thing keeping things together was the chrome plating...and yes the stress cracks were clearly visible through the chrome too.

From the response I got from my Dealer this morning I don't hold much hope of Yammi eating the $500+ bill to replace the chromed trunk frame....And yes, the Service Manager was NOT surprised to see the damage on the trunk frame... and that tells me that this may be a trunk frame defect that Yammi is fully aware of.....And the typical response from Yammi it seems is that they attribute the failure to the customer "overloading" the trunk with weight.:whistling:

My Yammi Dealer took a complete set of good pics of the trunk rack both top/bottom and is going to submit a request for Warranty replacement at no cost to me.

Note to Squid: If this goes through I will get the NEW trunk rack to you Bro!!

Boomer....With regards and respect to all.

Thanks for the heads up, if I recall correctly someone on here has a fix for it. I will search for the thread when I get home unless someone else has posted it by then.

Joe I have never seen a thread pertaining to this problem with our Ventures....Course that don't mean squat cuz I ain't right to begin with! :whistling:

If there is a fix for this I'm sure the Members whose bikes are out of warranty will benefit from that.:cool10:

Boomer....who did not tell the Dealer about his pygmies riding on the scoot.:whistling:

I have not heard of this problem or a fix but there were problems with the trunks on 1999 and 2000 models but it was with the plastic trunk not being supported enough and Yamaha changed to the new way to support the trunk and they came out with a kit to fix the 99's and 2000's. I don't know if maybe that is what your talking about.

Update......My Dealer just called....Yammi sez they will give me a NEW chromed trunk rack AT NO CHARGE. My Dealer has ordered the rack and will contact me when it arrives at his Dealership.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez another trip to Conroe,Texas is not far off!!!!:cool10:

I have not heard of this problem or a fix but there were problems with the trunks on 1999 and 2000 models but it was with the plastic trunk not being supported enough and Yamaha changed to the new way to support the trunk and they came out with a kit to fix the 99's and 2000's. I don't know if maybe that is what your talking about.

Nope....This problem pertains to the CHROMED MOUNTING RACK which the trunk rests on and is bolted to.

Boomer....who just posted an Update.:cool10:

Nope....This problem pertains to the CHROMED MOUNTING RACK which the trunk rests on and is bolted to.

Boomer....who just posted an Update.:cool10:

Troublemaker!:stirthepot:

Now I have to go out to the cold, cold, garage and examine my 06.

Do you have to take the trunk off the mounting rack to see the problem?

Thanks for the info!

Do you have to take the trunk off the mounting rack to see the problem?

The cracks on the mounting plates were clearly visible from the underside as well as from the top side once we removed the trunk.

Ya might get by with just a good inspection from underneath provided you have a good light and good eyes IMHO.

Boomer....who's got nothing to say about being a troublemaker here.:whistling:

I'm glad they are fixing that issue, I honestly believe that a tech didn't put your trunk together right after your accident up in Conneticut and eventually caused the problems we saw. I dont think this is a wide spread deal and is more of an isolated incident.

I'm glad they are fixing that issue, I honestly believe that a tech didn't put your trunk together right after your accident up in Conneticut and eventually caused the problems we saw. I dont think this is a wide spread deal and is more of an isolated incident.

Well for the sake of all Members here I hope you are right Squid ! I figgered putting the info here might save Members (whose Ventures are still under Warranty) a few bucks....especially so now that Yammi is willing to cover this under Warranty.:cool10:

Boomer.....who's gonna go lay down by his dish now.:whistling:

Might want to look at that underside anyway just for rust.

I did my after winter cleaning yesterday and all the rails had rust spots.

I was able to rub them out with wax but its only a 2009. The antenna mounts were the same. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/elmicko2002/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTYtMjAxMTAyMTYtMTMxOC5qcGc.jpg

Not this bad but on the way there if not seen.

Sorry for the after winter comment!!!

Well for the sake of all Members here I hope you are right Squid ! I figgered putting the info here might save Members (whose Ventures are still under Warranty) a few bucks....especially so now that Yammi is willing to cover this under Warranty.:cool10:

Boomer.....who's gonna go lay down by his dish now.:whistling:

Boomer get off your wrinkly old butt and take a picture or two so us Northerners stuck inside for the duration of the winter can see what you'all is talking about. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Close ups too! :stickpoke:

Please? :banana::banana::banana:

Bubber

Boomer get off your wrinkly old butt and take a picture or two so us Northerners stuck inside for the duration of the winter can see what you'all is talking about. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Close ups too! :stickpoke:

Please? :banana::banana::banana:

Bubber

You are pooched my friend....I don't own a camera!:shock3:

Boomer....who sez opening a pop-top beer is as high tech as he's gonna get!!:whistling:

Note: If yer snowed in that bad then ya have the time to pull the trunk to LOOK at the entire trunk bracket.:rotf:

Note: If yer snowed in that bad then ya have the time to pull the trunk to LOOK at the entire trunk bracket.:rotf:

Well I would except the little women has a problem with me keeping the door open long enough to get by bike in the house and into the living room.:crying:

Something about the carpet or stuff like that. :Avatars_Gee_George:

She is just damn picky that way. And to think at one time I kept my Knucklehead in the second floor bathroom one winter. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

I think she is getting way to old for me! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Steve

Thanks for the heads up, if I recall correctly someone on here has a fix for it. I will search for the thread when I get home unless someone else has posted it by then.

Ok, I found it it was on a diffrent site:

Cut a piece of 1 or 2mm thick stainless steel to fit in the inside bottom of the trunk and another one 3mm thick to fit the underside bolted or welded to the trunk mount. Put a piece of neoprene between the trunk and the lower piece. Drill and tap matching holes through the trunk and bottom piece and there you go.