IGNORED

Rider Education

Guest budman

I took one, I think they're great. As far as mandating, I don't think the government should mandate anything. Now incentives to take the class is a different matter. I know that, when I took it, if you passed the written and had taken the course, you didn't have to do the riding test. That was nice.

I think it's something that should be brought up at the dealers at every sale. I think the dealers should make a bigger deal out of it than they do. Maybe take a little cash off the price of a bike with completed course certificate. Just some ideas.....don't know how good.

I also took the Riders Course for both the Basic and Intermediate course and I agree that they are great. It's an incentive here in NH that if you take the course and pass both the written and road course you can get your MC endorsment to your license without taking the ride test through DMV.

I agree that they're useful. We have the same deal here in Mass with getting your motorcycle endorsement after passing the class. It's good information and you get exposed to exercises that can be helpful. There are some areas that aren't covered enough IMHO, but what is covered is beneficial to anyone. Folks that ride without any training are taking a big risk. I would support making this training mandataory for getting an endorsement.

I've taken the basic course and the advance riders course and highly recommend them for everybody, regardless of how long you have been riding. My good friend Rick Butler put it to me the best way I can tell it...I asked him if it was worth taking the advanced course and he told me only if you consider the fact that it could save your life. :) That is strong enough for me.

As for making them mandatory? I'm not a big fan of government mandating things but I do think that it should be mandatory for any rider under the age of 18. In most states..maybe all states...driver's education is mandatory for anybody under the age of 18 getting a driver's license. The same should apply for the motorcycle courses for any rider under the same age.

I have taken courses. I also feel it should be mandatory. When you get a motorcycle and a little confidence all of a sudden you feel safe. They teach things in the course that only get learned in trouble situations. At least in the first panic you have knowledge to base you actions on. There are so many young riders that buy the most powerful cycle they can and have no experience. Next thing is a little confidence and after that the stunts. That leads to growing deaths on the road. Training would atleast make them aware of the risks and give tools to help.

at least make parents aware of the classes available as well as the advisability of taking it. Brains don't come with age at least in my case( here is your opening FRIENDS) Steve hdhtr has peaked my interest in an FJR in Royal Metallic Blue. Hopefully caution (that's my wife's name) will prevail. :starz: :motorcycle: :doh: :Avatars_Gee_George:

I agree with most that kids should go through the class. I might also suggest that people like myself who hadn't ridden for a few years take the course as a refresher. I found it to be useful, and plan on the advanced course next year. Constant "refreshers" like "Ride like a Pro" are also good reminders that besides having fun and riding, we should practice the skills associated with riding these big bikes!

I was "surprised" returning from Street Vibes this year how many "adult" riders take chances on their bikes, putting everyone in danger. But, oh well, we can only be responsible and accountable for our own actions - and life.

• 3 months later...

I have taken the MSF courses and found them very helpful. My cousin, best friend, and riding partner, Joel, heard about courses offered by Michigan State University. They train a high percentage of the Motorcycle Police in the Midwest and they now offer a civilian version of that training at $300 for 40 hours with a 5-1 student teacher ratio.

I am not in favor of making the MSF classes mandatory - we have enough buerocrats as it is.

Ride safe!

John Geda

In OK, the only incentive/requirement is you get to skip the driver evaluation portion when you get your motorcycle endorsement. You still have to take the state's written exam. And your new license with M endorsement costs the same whether you take the course or not.

OK doesn't subsidize the course, so you have pay the full price here. I heard Harley pays for part of the course when you buy a new Harley, though. Haven't heard a similar deal from Yamaha/Honda/etc.

I took the BRC with my wife & son last fall. Even riding for almost 40 years, I learned a lot (I expected to- and still have a lot more to learn- new scratches on my bike this month). I recommend it for everyone (unless you have some other course under your belt). Plan to take the ERC in the next year or two (will see if I really learned it or forgot everything).

I'd like to see the state require something like this, but only if they subsidize it. OK has a motorcycle education fund, but doesn't use it for motorcycle safety- unless you consider the mobile checkpoints (targeting 2 wheelers) they operated this summer as safety.

Yes, mandatory just like cage drivers training. A must now in Manitoba. This has reduced the number of accidents with young people considerably...translate to cheaper insurance maybe.

Marilyn was required to take the mc course. It is better than having me trying to teach her...we know where those lessons can lead to in some cases!

I've seen places were you had a graduated curve...nothing over 500cc for a time then move up to the bigger class.

Of course now it wouldnt matter with the 650cc putting out more horses than the 1800cc in some cases.

I dont like mandatory anything either...but there are alot of people who might be out there that really shouldnt be.

Another thought...and I try to convince the 20year old this all the time.....driving is a priviledge (in Canada anyway) and not a right.

No mandnatory.The government forces to many laws now.

We need to stop giving up rights..:no-no-no:

Just letting things happen is like being a Lemming..

Not for me thank you..:no-no-no:

Doug

I have taken the MSF courses and found them very helpful. My cousin, best friend, and riding partner, Joel, heard about courses offered by Michigan State University. They train a high percentage of the Motorcycle Police in the Midwest and they now offer a civilian version of that training at $300 for 40 hours with a 5-1 student teacher ratio.

I am not in favor of making the MSF classes mandatory - we have enough buerocrats as it is.

Ride safe!

John Geda

I've taken the MSF and the full 80 hour Police course. MSF is Ok but nothing compared to the Police course. If you can take the civilian Police one I would and a high speed course on a track at a specialty school.

• 2 months later...

I have been riding since 1967. Started with a 200 cc, moved to 350 cc and then the 1500 cc and then the venture. I realy needed the course between the 350 and the 1500cc, but did not take it. Wish I did. It was not the cc but weight of bike and I needed to break a few bad habits developed on the lighter bikes. When I bought the venture, I set up cones and practiced figure eight's and swerving, emergency stops and slow parking lot turns.

Bottom line, anyone who learned to ride on a small bike when there were no courses, might benifit from the course. My cousin is a Pa. trooper, I will find out if there is a civilian course available in Pa.

I am working on a bike for my son to learn on (Kawa Vulcan 750). He will NOT even get on the bike without taking the riding course. Now, part of that is because until I get the Kawa put together, my RSV is the only bike available for him to learn on. NOT going to happen.

I will let him learn on the 125cc bike provided by the course, then graduate to the Kawa, then maybe, just maybe, he can ride my baby - once.

I learned a lot when I took the course as a new rider. The ERC was enlightening also. I will take that again in a couple of years - hopefully with my son.

Mandated, no. You just can't legislate against stupid (not taking it as a new rider).

RR

I've taken the MSF and the full 80 hour Police course. MSF is Ok but nothing compared to the Police course. If you can take the civilian Police one I would and a high speed course on a track at a specialty school.

Us 2nd Gen riders need that high speed course just to leard to control the powerful capabilities of our machines. Do they have any courses that go downhill?

RR

I just finished the MSF BRC this Saturday past. I found it very enlitening and useful. I have no problem making it mandatory for under 18 and mabey 21. Very good idea if your past experience is dirt or off-road.

DJ :thumbsup:

A person (youth or adult) with a new M/C license and never having ridden before can go out and ride the most powerful bike there is. similarly, a person with a basic drivers license having driven nothing but small cars around the city can go out and drive a class A motorhome and/or a truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer. Neither are required to take a course. There's something wrong with both of these pictures IMHO. There needs to be some kind of government regulations on this.

Guest Tomkrsv

Obtaining a driver's licence is not a right. It is a privilage. Insuring that those who are issued a drivers licence, or a motorcycle certification, is in the publics best interest. As such, I have no problem with the government maindating a minimum level of training as a pre-requisite for granting the motorcycle certification.

My brother is a new rider at age 45. He bought a Virago 250 as a training bike. He is signed up for the MSF class in Illinois. In Illinois he can skip the written and road test if he takes the class, or he can skip the class if he takes the tests. The issue here is that there is a 3 month waiting list to get enrolled in the MSF class - no waiting list to just go to a Secretary of State facility and take the test. That causes a lot of new riders to skip the class and just take the test. My brother is waiting for the June class that he is registered for, but the weather is getting real nice and he has the itch. I've taken him to empty parking lots a couple of times and set up imaginary cones to practice turning, figure eights, and panic stopping. I read somewhere that being taught to ride by a friend or relative is not highly successful. In MHO getting pointers from friends and relatives is good, but it is not a repacement for formal rider training.

Us 2nd Gen riders need that high speed course just to leard to control the powerful capabilities of our machines. Do they have any courses that go downhill?

RR

I forgot there are some 2nd Gen owners here. I spoke with willfill and wonton disreguard for the feelings of others (i.e 2nd Genners) and in keeping with the inclusiveness of this site I formally apologize for being inconsiderate of all disciplines and will learn to include everyone in my future comments. Thank you for your time. Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ a former MSF Certified Instructor and have attended and taught their courses. I think they are invaluable to new and experienced riders.

I’m not in favor of mandatory training and would rather see public and private incentives. Some insurance companies offer discounts to course graduates. GEICO offers a discount of 10% to course graduates and 20% to active instructors.

I have been through the BRC but thats all. I dont think it should be mandatory but it should be advised. There is one benefit in TX not mentioned in any previous post. If you take the course it"ll knock 10% off your insurance. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to taking the ERC.But ya gotta do it on your own bike...if ya drop it or wreck it it's on you LOL..........Don