IGNORED

Replacing Air Filters

Well, I have reached the point where I prefer QUIET and have gone back to stock mufflers. I will say though that I preferred the Khromewerks. The Samsons are LOUD and can't be packed, they use a permanent steel baffle. The Khromewerks have a re-packable baffle and I think are just a bit quieter than the Samsons and have a better sound. They also have an integrated shield that covers the clamp area. I just think they are better made.

Well, I have reached the point where I prefer QUIET and have gone back to stock mufflers. I will say though that I preferred the Khromewerks. The Samsons are LOUD and can't be packed, they use a permanent steel baffle. The Khromewerks have a re-packable baffle and I think are just a bit quieter than the Samsons and have a better sound. They also have an integrated shield that covers the clamp area. I just think they are better made.

Thanks.

Actually, I've gone back to my stockers too. The drilled out RK's were just a bit too noisy on a long trip. I have heard a sound clip on the Khromewerks (as well as several other muffs) and quite like the sound they put out as well as how they look. Still struggling with forking out that much money tho...

I have unmodifiied RK mufflers, and they have a nice mellow sound. I have put about 15000 Kms on them, and don't find them tiresome at all. When I first put them on I thought they didn't provide enough difference from stock. Someone posted on here to ride with them for awhile before modifying, and I'm sure glad I did. I love 'em. Ron

no problems running lean running the K&N's. The intake piping is the major restriction.

Just FYI, K&N's let in more dirt.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

Interesting. But I would expect the dirt captured and dirt passed graphs to be exact inverses of each other, but they're not. That has me scratching my head.

If I am not mistaken, Yamaha recommends to replace paper air filters after every 26K...I have taken off my filters 2X now and cleaned them with compressed air, but honestly...I don't see any difference as to how much dirt was blown away or not. At least not visible through my naked eye. :grandma:

At 22k, I am thinking about getting a pair around mid-season.

Well, I have reached the point where I prefer QUIET and have gone back to stock mufflers.

So have I. I swapped them out during Biketoberfest here. Those drilled out RK pipes were invading my space a little too much on the highway. Also the bike seems a bit peppier with the stock muffs on it now. While the loud pipes sound cool they were driving me nuts on a long ride.

As far as the air filters go I installed new factory ones in 2004 and other then a yearly blow out with air they are still pretty darn clean. They look nothing like the air filters I pull out of my cars.