IGNORED

Groaning shock

I have a dilemma with my rear shock. The bike was fine and then I installed the leveling links. After about a month or so the shock began to groan. I read all the posts about how the shock shaft needs to be oiled by laying the bike over or adding oil through the shrader valve. I did both . No luck so I took it in and they removed the shock and found it is fine and holding air. They found the needle bearing were worn so they replaced them under warranty. Here come the problem. They but the regular links back on the bike and the groaning went away. They rode it for several miles and all was fine. They reinstalled my leveling links and the groaning returned. They then removed the leveling links and replaced them with the standard links and the groaning shock went away again. :confused24::confused24:

Anyone else have this issue and could the links be putting the needle bearings under some kind of stress or bind that causes them to prematurely wear out.

Moakster

Bill,

I have never installed leveling links, but I did have the problem with the rear shock growning with my stock links.

I first heard my rear shock grown while at the Vogle rally this year.

All I did was "pounce" on my bike seat using my full body weight about 4 or 5 times to work the oil inside the shock all over every thing.

By POUNCING on the bike, it moved the shock up and down "further in travel" than it would in normal travel.

It stopped the growning immediately......I never hear the growning again until about two months ago.. I bounced full body weight on the seat again thrusting the shock up and down in travel, thus lubricating it once more than it would be normal travel.

I have not heard it since..

Now Im not saying this is YOUR problem, but ma be worth a try to see if it is....

Good luck!

The groan is a common problem on the G2's, although I have never heard of the leveling links creating the problem. There's not a whole lot to bind up on the rear shock of the G2's. It's pretty simple and strait fwd, perhaps it does just need some additional lubrication :confused24:

The groan is a common problem on the G2's, although I have never heard of the leveling links creating the problem. There's not a whole lot to bind up on the rear shock of the G2's. It's pretty simple and strait fwd, perhaps it does just need some additional lubrication :confused24:

I wonder about these leveling links. My shock started to leak a couple months after the installing these. I am sure the shock was just due to fail, but still wonder if these change the angle slightly putting more pressure on one side of the shock

Brad

My 03 mdntv has about 62,000 mi on it and I have had the links for approx. 15,ooo mi and no problems w\ the rear shock so far. I would venture to guess no pun intended, that the leveling links extended the shock int an area that has not been getting enough lubrication. I agree with Eck and others on this post that it is a lubrication problem.

Bill,

I have never installed leveling links, but I did have the problem with the rear shock growning with my stock links.

I first heard my rear shock grown while at the Vogle rally this year.

All I did was "pounce" on my bike seat using my full body weight about 4 or 5 times to work the oil inside the shock all over every thing.

By POUNCING on the bike, it moved the shock up and down "further in travel" than it would in normal travel.

It stopped the growning immediately......I never hear the growning again until about two months ago.. I bounced full body weight on the seat again thrusting the shock up and down in travel, thus lubricating it once more than it would be normal travel.

I have not heard it since..

Now Im not saying this is YOUR problem, but ma be worth a try to see if it is....

Good luck!

Could you send us a "Pouncing" Video? I think it would help us understand your technique and I'm sure it would be rather entertaining! :rasberry::rotf::dancefool::whistling::2133:

Could you send us a "Pouncing" Video? I think it would help us understand your technique and I'm sure it would be rather entertaining! :rasberry::rotf::dancefool::whistling::2133:

I'll have to wait for Beer30 and I to come together down the road sometime and hope he has his video camera...Im sure the two of us can cook up something for your pleasure . :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::buttkick: