IGNORED

Double Check Your Nav Unit

utadventure

Jan and I drove from Las Vegas, NV this morning to Tucson, AZ. We looked at it on mapquest last night to get a feel for the day (427 miles). When we programed the TOMTOM and headed out, Jan noticed that it showed a 100 mile longer trip than what we saw the night before.

Come to find out, the unit was keeping us on the Interstates and would have taken us to Flagstaff, AZ first and then south to Phoenix, then Tucson. We remembered mapquest took us down Hwy 93 to Phoenix and once we started that way, the unit corrected itself and, poof, a hundred miles of driving disappeared.

Man did we get lucky!:missingtooth:

Dave

Jan and I drove from Las Vegas, NV this morning to Tucson, AZ. We looked at it on mapquest last night to get a feel for the day (427 miles). When we programed the TOMTOM and headed out, Jan noticed that it showed a 100 mile longer trip than what we saw the night before.

Come to find out, the unit was keeping us on the Interstates and would have taken us to Flagstaff, AZ first and then south to Phoenix, then Tucson. We remembered mapquest took us down Hwy 93 to Phoenix and once we started that way, the unit corrected itself and, poof, a hundred miles of driving disappeared.

Man did we get lucky!

Dave

Sometimes you can set the GPS to shortest distance, or avoid freeways,....or quickest route. Sometimes you can't?? When headed to Tucson I usually take the Phoenix cut off SR85 at Buckeye down to Gila Bend and I-8. Then East. Gets rid of all that Phoenix traffic.

when you use the TomTom it gives a number of choices for the type of routes also in the preview screen you can select alternate route and it will also revise the route until you are happy with the choice. the finale alternative is to plan your route using the itinarary feature.

On my GPS I can prefer shortest time, or distance... the longer route may have been shorter in time depending on how it calculates time due to it's programmed speed limits. I can also tell my unit to avoid highways. Not always a good choice.

I prefer to go to Mapquest, make a route, and import it to my GPS but that take more forethought and effort on my part.

I wish they would build GPS units with a "most scenic" preference....... oh well......