IGNORED

Already Planning first "Big" ride

mmoffitt

Longest rides I've taken in the past have been 3-4 day trips with my dad and brother, sleeping at rest stops on the side of the road when ever we got tired. Since I've got the RSV now, I want to take a "real" trip...I'm thinking about hitting eastern 1/2 of Route 66. Wife and I (2up) will head out from Colorado Springs and ride to Chicago. Then hit Route 66 and take it back down. I'll spend some time in OK with the family, then head back to Colorado Springs splitting off in NM. That will cover the east half...I'll hit the western half maybe later in the year or next year. Here's the map I plan to take:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&safe=on&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217067729114273134767.000498d3e23585862bb97&t=h&z=6>

This will be my first long trip and my first time pulling a trailer (cargo, not camper)...

Couple of questions:

1. Any good motorcycle mapping programs? Google maps is okay but hard to get it to put me on scenic routes or specific highways (without a lot of work)...

2. Good rain gear that won't break the bank?

3. Suggestions on what not to take or what I MUST remember to take?

4. Any other suggestions for my first long run?

Thanks!

BTW: I would love to meet up with anyone that lives along our route that wants to visit or tag along for part of the ride! I know I'm new around here but it would be nice to meet some of you guys!

:Venture:

Edited by mmoffitt

Mike,

I have done about 80% the entire Route 66, but at 4 different times. I been as far east as Cuba, MO and as far west as Needles, CA.

You didn't mention if you had a GPS or not...if you do, this is a VERY GOOD mapping of Route 66, but it is only for the Garmin Nuvi's (I think) and zumo GPS's.

http://shop.spotitout.com/search.asp?productid=137

I have lots of links for paper maps and books detailing points of interests (POI's), motels, attractions and food joints.

You also didn't say how long you intend to take. Based on what you said though, I would say about 10 days maybe?

I have done the Springfield, MO to Albuquerque, NM trip 3 of the 4 times and actually have done it an additional time in the car.

Will you be shooting photographs? Do you want the Mom & Pop experience for dining and motels (be sure to let your wife understand what that means) icon7.gif.

I know I haven't helped you much so far, but I will add more as more people respond. I will tell you that it is not for everybody, but the Europeans LOVE IT. And so do I. I will do Route 66 (some of it again) this year...just don't know when.

And these 2 sites will prove invaluable, especially this first one:

Route 66 Forum

http://www.historic66.com/forum/index.php

And this is a blog/news site

http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/

Wally

Mike...forgot 2 things!

Yes, I ordered the windshield...probably be here next week late. I will be in touch about that.

But here is my photography site with some of my pictures from 3 (maybe 4) of the rides we did on Route 66. One trip (2009), I was leading 18 bikes. THAT was a nightmare. :confused24:

http://rumboogy.zenfolio.com/f40679589

Wally

Edited by rumboogy

Wally,

Thanks for the reply. I will be using a GPS. I have a Garmin but can't remember the model right now...

I've got it mapped out for about 10 days total for the route I've got but I'm trying to schedule it so that I have plenty of time and if we want to stop more along the way we can.

My wife is a professional photographer, so I'm sure there will be LOTS of pictures taken. In addition, I'd like to start up a blog or something so that we can post our experience as we go...posting pics and end of day reports as we go (if we can find internet).

We plan to do a mix of camping and "cheap" motels...mom and pop places would be good...a VR members back yard would work great...we are looking forward to the adventure of it and trying to not spend a fortune. Wife and I are both in late 30s so we are telling ourselves we are still young enough to survive many hours in the saddle, sleeping on the ground, etc. Only time will tell!

BTW, I think you forgot the link for your photography site...

I have a Garmin 60 CSX. It is small and designed for off road use, It is popular with Adventure riders because you can map out the route you want to ride in a program called Mapsource. When I bought mine they where very expensive but they are being phased out for a another model so I have heard of them being sold various places much more reasonably. The worst part is you have to spend another chunk of money for a map to install in them. The great part is that by using waypoints you get to tell it where you want to go. They are hard to follow in big cities but work great in rural scenic areas. I have a mount on my Venture for it and my old Tomtom. The old cheap Tomtom is easier to follow in a city. I use the Garmin by itself on The DR650. I create my routes on my netbook for each days trip when I am traveling and not just on one of those rides wher I don't know where I am going at the next intersection.

Mike,

OOPS...here is my photography site:

http://rumboogy.zenfolio.com/f40679589

So from Chicago to New Mexico...your slowest parts will be between Springfield, MO and Tulsa, OK. I mean there are things on either side of those 2 locations, but there is lots of stuff between them.

Your wife being a professional photographer...you might be stopping a lot. LOL

Again, let me know when you have set dates and I can tell you of at least one motel (Sayre, OK) to AVOID!!

Wally

Here are some of the sites I used when I traveled the US and 1/2 of Canada:

Also always wanted to know what to expect weather wise. Finally determined it didn't matter rain to be followed by rain was our usual experience:

http://www.intellicast.com/

http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/interstate/?from=breadcrumbs

Never did find a good motorcycle mapping program. Like you I used google maps which turned out ok but surely there has to be something better:

Finally some FYI sites:

If you ever do find a good motorcycle map planner pass it on!! I did not have a gps on our adventure and it was about the only thing I wish I did have. Also remember spending the first week in Walmart every day for little trivial things. Finally determined to stay out of Walmarts and spend more time traveling and enjoying!

Hope this helps!

For trip planning and mapping I use Microsoft Streets and Trips. Great program and easy to use.

They come out with a new version every year so you can pick up a 'last years' program pretty inexpensively. Check Ebay.

For example, here is a 2010 for $20 (including shipping). It isn't me.

http://tinyurl.com/32sdhtj

Have a great time. Lots of interesting things to see around the east coast.

RR

I like to plan my routes, a long time in advance. I am presently planning my July trip to Maine (I live in Texas). Like Midnightventure, I have a Garmin 60CSx, and have sprung for the lifetime maps upgrade. $99 or whatever to always have current maps is not a bad deal.

Regardless, here is my general workflow...

1. I decide where I want to go, and enter a preliminary route in the Garmin Mapsource software. [You already have your route]
  2. I use "View in Google Earth" to transfer my route into GE. Now I cruise at a low altitude in GE with the photos layer turned on. At a reasonable altitude, I can see where clusters of photos show up. I zoom into those areas to see what people are looking at. I've found some great scenic spots by using this "crowd sourcing". I mark these locations on the map within Mapsource and go on.
  3. I also "geocache", and a class of cache called a Virtual Cache often marks places that are well worth visiting. I can view caches within GE, so I can note these without much trouble. On my trips last summer, each of them had must-see locations found using geocaching.
  4. Eventually, I have a decent number of places that I want to visit. Now I decide my final path. This is an iterative process, because sometimes I simply must take the freeway to make time between places that I really want to see. Most times I want to avoid freeways. Sometimes I want to spend 15 minutes at a scenic spot, but sometimes I want to overnight.
  5. At this point, I am tempted to go out and buy Microsoft Streets and Trips. MSST has a "range" function that you can use to locate fuel stops. Not such a big deal in a car, but really important on my bike, especially on my trips off the beaten path. Along my route, I can say I want to go 150 miles (for me) or 100 miles (2-up) and find gas. MSST also has a mode where you can specify fastest, shortest, or most scenic route. I've used MSST in the past, but not recently. I can only imagine that it has gotten better.
  6. MapSource, GE, and MSST are all useful for finding places to stay, and things to see using their databases.

Finally, although it is not part of routing, I want to get a SPOT transceiver. That way, I can post my progress for friends to follow me. I'll also have a way to call for help, even if cell signal is non-existent.

Moving on, rain gear: I bought "Frogg Toggs Horny Toadz Waterproof Motorcycle Rain Suit" in HiViz yellow. I specifically wanted to be visible in inclement weather. I've ridden in much wet weather, and this hasn't let me down. I have a pair of light gauntlet gloves that I like because they stop the rain from coming up my sleeves. My one complaint with this gear is that the waistband on the pants does not give at all, making it harder to put on. The jacket is great though.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4749245373_4d7e6e282c_m.jpg

What to take... I got some great compact camp chairs. They fold down to "portfolio" size and yet are very sturdy. GCI Outdoor Xpress Lounger is what I got, and they are cheaper now!

I also bought a micro camp stove. It is perfect for making coffee in the morning. (We like to hit diners on the road.) It is the GSI Pinnacle Dualist system and the Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo starter. We bought some SBUX Via coffee to go with it and it works perfectly. Very compact, it fits in the saddle bag, in case you spend time under an over pass during the rain.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5182643530_035bc8e44d.jpg

The other advice I'd give you is to take the trailer for a test run. Mine proved to be vibratey, and I had to mitigate that. However, that was a side effect of an axle problem. Read this really long and entertaining thread to learn about that.

If you want, you can view my trips to Michigan and Zion NP. The Zion trip in particular has some examples of the great spots I found using geocaching.

Have fun! You'll be hooked!

Dave

One tip, some guides/map books on 66 are written to go either Eastbound or Westbound. When we did it Eastbound a few years ago, we bought a book that looked like it was Eastbound, (states started with CA and ended with IL) but within the states, it was WESTbound. I almost threw the book out the window, but would have probably gotten a ticket for littering, so the wife and I (we were in a car) took turns driving/navigating and made a game out of who could adapt to reading the chapters backwards sooner when switching drivers (It took some skill and concentration) made the trip fun, but get the correct one if you buy this type of book.

I live a little off I-55 in Central IL, and would love to ride with you for a while, let us know when your trip is so those of us along the way can meet up with you!

Allow plenty of time each day for side trips, there are several dead end roads, many paths through towns, and you will want to stop and explore some bridges, ghost towns and icons along the road. Don't miss the "Rocket" motel near Joliet IL at the start of your trip!

Have You and Momma tested your (buttocks comfort) on this Bike? I would do a 12 Hour test trip, say 6 hours - stop for Lunch - 6 hours home. Any slight discomfort will quickly accumulate day after day, you don't want to be 3 to 4 days from Home and start crying thinking you have to get on the bike to stay on schedule!!! If you have any buttock issues do a search for "Rick Butler Seat Mod". Me and My Momma had our seats done by Rick now we ride as long as we want, day after day after day, Ect... Best $$$ I ever spent because if Momma ain't happy nobody will be happy. 3 cents :thumbsup2:

Great advice guys! I appreciate all of the info you have given me so far! I do plan to take a couple of test rides with the trailer and will try to fit in some long rides before heading out. I'm thinking I need to get some "compact" camping gear...my trailers is good size but I want to keep the weight down and I need to find some small camp chairs like Dave recommended, etc. I might look into the transceiver, that sounds like a interesting idea...I'm looking forward to the adventure and the learning experience.

Mike

Charlie,

I'm def going to get the seat mod done. For one thing I want to get a little lower to the ground. And although the seat is already a ton more comfortable (especially for the wife), we don't ride enough or long enough to build up iron butts...so we will get the mod done before the trip!

Walley,

Only 2 shirts and Underwear for a 10 day ride? I want to pack light but seems I might want a couple more than that...we will prob stay in a couple of hotels along the way to recover a little (better night sleep) and to shower...so I was hoping to wash clothes a few times but not sure if on 2 sets would be enough...LOL

Mike

Have You and Momma tested your (buttocks comfort) on this Bike? I would do a 12 Hour test trip, say 6 hours - stop for Lunch - 6 hours home. Any slight discomfort will quickly accumulate day after day, you don't want to be 3 to 4 days from Home and start crying thinking you have to get on the bike to stay on schedule!!! If you have any buttock issues do a search for "Rick Butler Seat Mod". Me and My Momma had our seats done by Rick now we ride as long as we want, day after day after day, Ect... Best $$$ I ever spent because if Momma ain't happy nobody will be happy. 3 cents :thumbsup2:

I like to plan my routes, a long time in advance. I am presently planning my July trip to Maine (I live in Texas). Like Midnightventure, I have a Garmin 60CSx, and have sprung for the lifetime maps upgrade. $99 or whatever to always have current maps is not a bad deal.

Regardless, here is my general workflow...

1. I decide where I want to go, and enter a preliminary route in the Garmin Mapsource software. [You already have your route]
  2. I use "View in Google Earth" to transfer my route into GE. Now I cruise at a low altitude in GE with the photos layer turned on. At a reasonable altitude, I can see where clusters of photos show up. I zoom into those areas to see what people are looking at. I've found some great scenic spots by using this "crowd sourcing". I mark these locations on the map within Mapsource and go on.

I forgot about this. I do this too. When you see that cluster of photos you know there is something scenic there.

My approach to camping is radically different then most!

While in the military we packed ammo, radio, water, food, and very little else into our rucksacks. When I got back to civilian life I decided when I go camping I want to take everything, including the kitchen sink, since I no longer had to carry it on my back!

I built my trailer with that philosophy in mind and have caught some sharp criticism for it! I can handle the criticism, I built the trailer for my lifestyle, not others concept of what a bike trailer should look like.

I love the trailer, it carries everything. My bike can, and does, handle the load. I get great gas mileage usually losing only 4mpg from my normal riding. Nothing better then finishing the day on a bike then a great campsite with a tent I can stand in (6'2") a camp stove big enough to cook our meal, and chairs we can sit on, comfortable and enjoy fellow camper or the scenic outdoors. That is my idea of roughing it!!

Daily schedule:

Coffee/journal/stretch/Break camp

Ride approx 100 miles gas up

Gas/quick breakfast

Ride approx 100 miles gas up

Big lunch/site seeing/ siesta, shopping

Ride approx 100 miles +- gas up

Set up camp

Journal/upload pictures/dinner/review next day route/check emails/check weather/movie

Every 3rd day break routine/ site see/laundry/do nothing/etc!

Ranger,

I like your setup! It is a lot, but if your bike pulls it and if you use it all then that's what you need...As for your daily routine, this is almost exactly how I saw our trip going...which is why I tried to plan the days for around 300 miles or less...Some have said that it's a little too many miles for more than a couple of days in a row and they may be totally right, but we are still relatively young and hoping to bear it well. We will see but we won't be in a huge hurry, so if we need to rest a day or stop early, then we will...

For all of your traveling cross country, do you look up camping spots a head of time or just play it by ear and find something when you are needing to stop?

Mike

You ain't THAT young!!!!!:no-no-no::rotf:

Really, I think you two can do 300 a day without problems. Just don't set a firm "goal" thinking you have to make a certain amount. I have had days where we didn't go more than 50-75 miles before stoping again. There's always tomorrow.

That's what we are planning. We were hoping maybe you and Bobby could meet us at some point and ride for alittle while. Maybe from St Louis, MO back home??? We will see how the dates match up and what's going on...probably would be around early/mid June.

Mike

You ain't THAT young!!!!!:no-no-no::rotf:

Really, I think you two can do 300 a day without problems. Just don't set a firm "goal" thinking you have to make a certain amount. I have had days where we didn't go more than 50-75 miles before stoping again. There's always tomorrow.

For all of your traveling cross country, do you look up camping spots a head of time or just play it by ear and find something when you are needing to stop?

Mike

I always planned ahead, with the understanding that plans can and will change at any moment. We had the whole summer off so there was no deadline, per say! Usually our camp site for the night was where I had planned, but sometimes we come across a town, or a spot that we said, wow this is cool, and up went the tent! Every once in awhile we would even splurge and rent a cabin! Great time!

Important thing is to remember to not let the plan dictate your actions but use it as a guideline only! For example. Early one morning in nowhere South Dakota we stopped at a post office. While my girlfriend took care of some business an 92yr old man approached me and admired my bike. We had a great conversation for about an hour. That days plan was out the window. Did not try to play catch up the rest of the day but during our lunch break revised our plan for a closer campsite that night. Remember, enjoy the ride, the people you meet, and the places you see! Your journal will reflect the events, not how quickly you could get somewhere!