IGNORED

Considering relocation to Victoria Texas. info?

OutKast

Any members near there? We are thinking a winter honeymoon there, and not coming back if we like it. We have a toy-hauler we would live in till get the feel of the area and find work. Just looking to talk with people to get a feel if it is like we think it is. I drove through there on the bike at easter 2 years ago on the way to an easter mission in Mexico but I just bypassed around.

For those that don't know, Kitty's real name is Victoria.

Edited by OutKast

Hey man, don't live there now, but lived there for about seven years. My wife and In-laws are from there. Victoria is my opinion of the perfect sized town. It has alot of the shopping that is in most places and is easy to get from one side of the place to the other. Houston is about a hundred miles away which opens up a whole bag of stuff to do. The coast is about 35 miles away, but is not really a pretty part of the coast, the best coast is about 95 miles away in Corpus Christi-Port Aransas area. Generally, a pretty economic place to live. I hope you like flat land, because the only hills are overpasses on the hiway!

Thanks, keep the info coming. Kitty and I work for ourselves as residential contractors right now, and would like to continue with that. The idea is to live in the toy-hauler and find part-time work until we get a feel for where we want to live and get some clients and work generated. Are there jobs at "lowes" and "advance auto" type places? How about larger contractors? I am a licensed master plumber here in VA and can get that transfered. I am also a licensed builder, but I understand that is not required there.

I really don't like flat, but we both like the climate. But seems like long weekends could take us to all kinds of cool riding places

How far to the "three sisters"?

How about taxes? I understand no "personal property' taxes on vehicles, but there is for business equipment. Does that mean I pay it on my company truck?

Thanks

Im about 155 miles from Victoria but dont know anything about the place except when I deliver there its always growing..I live just N of San Antonio and west of Austin Tx..3 Sisters,dead middle of them is 100 miles away...BUT fantastic riding all the way there and back,in fact which ever way you turn out of my driveway is exceptional riding. I do know the humidity in Victoria/Houston area is a killer.

Longrider805 here,

I live near Corpus Christi (Portland, an hour from there) and have worked, and ridden in and around the Victoria area, also know as the crossroads area, for a long time.

The good, location.

A short drive to San Antonio, Houston, Corpus Christi and other get aways. Rich with local history, as well some great state parks, rolling hillls and senic roads to the west and north. Goliad hosts the Texas Mile in March and October (www.texasmile.com) and there are so many great little towns in the area. Cuero, Schulenberg, La Grange, Shiner (we have our own little brewery there), home of the Bocktober fest. The local economy seems to be growing as everytime I go there it seems as though something new is popping up. They have a Yamaha, Honda and a Harley dealership plus a few independent shops. Decent resturaunts and shopping, A fresh water resevoir as well as the Guadelupe river nearby for beating the summer heat, and we have an abundance of that. We also have year round riding weather within reason (went for a great ride Christmas day). There is no state income tax, and if you work for someone else, they cannot tax you on your service truck. However they can and will get you for a personal business tax. As far as work is concerned, it all depends on your skill set as to what a person can earn in Texas. The Victoria area pays less than in a big city such as Houston or San Antonio, but more than say Corpus Christi.

THE BAD, growing gang problems (who doesn't have that?), for a medium sized town, everyone is in a hurry to get from one side to the other. I used to do auto damage appraisal and Victoria kept me very busy.

All in all, its a pretty clean, progressive place and if I had to move there for work tomorrow, I don't think I would hesitate, it beats the living daylights out of all the ninety degree corners we have here. Just something to think about.

If you decide to move, just let me say WELCOME TO SOUTH TEXAS.

Lyle Lovett says it all when he sings "Thats right your not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway".

Good Luck.

I agree with longrider805.I live in Corpus Christi and enjoy riding up through Victoria.Things start to get a little more scenic away from the coast.That 3 sisters ride is about 3 hours away,west of San Antonio at Leakey.Fun,I did it on an FZ6 though,lots of sharp corners.

I agree with longrider805.I live in Corpus Christi and enjoy riding up through Victoria.Things start to get a little more scenic away from the coast.That 3 sisters ride is about 3 hours away,west of San Antonio at Leakey.Fun,I did it on an FZ6 though,lots of sharp corners.

I bet it was fun on that bike..curvy??? you bet!

I flew in and out of Victoria once. Got off the plane and thought the pilot had made a wrong turn somewhere. Palm trees, warm, grass, kinda humid.... thought I was in Hawaii. Nice little town from what little I saw of it. Spent the rest of the time down in Yokum at a sales meeting.

Lived there... been there...rode through there.

Its HOT HOT HOT during the summer. Remember its part of South Texas and all that entails.............. Always hot during the summer. No manufacturing or hight tech jobs in area and therefore nothing to attract new growth. Growing areas in Texas are Conroe Tx. the Woodlands etc.

Lots of Venture riders down here in Texas though.

Just my 2:2cents:

We kinda hide inside in the afternoon in the summer here. It is 4 months of relentless heat. But with lakes, swimming pools, and the ocean its tolerable. The rest of the year is really good. I don't put my bike up on a jack anymore in the winter since we can still ride down here. I was out riding in a t-shirt today.