IGNORED

Tire Price Comparison

Bobby G

I got a quote on new tires for my '99 RSV today from my local M/C tire store in Woodstock GA (that's all they do). Seems like I've paid considerably more than this in the past. Here's what he quoted me:

Metzler 880's (installed):

Front (150/80/16)- $131.89

Rear (150/90/15)- $157.05

Total: $288.94

Dunlop E-3's (installed):

Front (150/85/16)- $117.23 (Dunlop sizes them as an MV85 for some reason)

Rear (150/90/15)- $137.25

Total: $254.48

Just curious how this stacks up to all-in prices everyone else has seen recently for these two brands. I'm partial to the 880's (as many of you know) due to the performance and mileage I've gotten on my last two sets - 15K+ and no failures of any kind. Think I'll stick with what's worked for me, but the price on the Dunlop's really surprised me, but Ken told me to expect a price increase in February when the new mfgr. books come out.

Guest scarylarry

I would let them installed them for that, my dealer wanted 135.00 labor only for the rear tire, I don't know about the front tire.

If that price includes the tire I would be all over it..

Though you may have to pay extra to get the splines grease but it is worth it.

I installed E3's and love them....

Guest scarylarry
thats a good price if you take in the wheels. Thats an unbelievable price if he takes in the bike.

When he said installed sounded like to me taking the bike in, I could be wrong.

I just went through the tire thing with Jacksonville Powersports of Yulee Fl.,,

Their Prices changed after speaking with a different person to confirm pricing.

Here goes::

Dunlop E3 Rear: $213.00 installed + $32.50 Additional Labor Fee to remove & install Bags

Total $245.00 for 1 Tire

Metzler ME880 Rear : $194.00 installed + $32.50 Additional Labor Fee to remove & install Bags. $226.50 for 1 Tire.

Your prices are alot better,,, I need to talk to them again about their pricing, see what happens.

Later Vern

Bobby,

If they're doing them on the bike at that price they're either

1) Not doing it properly

or

2) Gonna go belly up in the middle of the job.

I'd want a really credible story why they're working that cheap before I turned my bike over to them.

Yep, the initial prices posted are very cheap. The price alone can be just the tire itself. Mount and balance + labor looks like has not been taken into account. If the price is accurate, I say go for it before they change their mind. :301:

Ken sells and installs over 5,000 tires a year - all brands and on all makes and models. He's the best around, and has been in this business for over 12 years at the same location. He's a two-person shop (he and his wife), and his inventory and overhead is very low compared to a traditional dealer. Customers line up for his service come early Spring and throughout the year, but this is his slow time, and tire prices are pretty stagnant right now, so I'm sure that has something to do with the cost. He locked these prices in for me through 1/31, so I'm sure I'll get them done right after the Christmas craziness is over.

I'll also have the opportunity to do some "wheels off" maintenance while he has the bike on the lift if I want (splines, etc.). Other than tires, he only does brake pads, but no other maintenance.

Thanks for the comparisons. I thought this was a great deal.

my dealer wanted 135.00 labor only for the rear tire

that price stacks up with that big bike dealer in Ashville who wanted $150 labour install a rear on bike some years ago after leaving Vogel. I've never been given a reasonable explanation for such a disparity in labour pricing. My dealer at home wanted $50 labour for a rear install. What gives??

Guest scarylarry
that price stacks up with that big bike dealer in Ashville who wanted $150 labour install a rear on bike some years ago after leaving Vogel. I've never been given a reasonable explanation for such a disparity in labour pricing. My dealer at home wanted $50 labour for a rear install. What gives??

I think the book calls for 1.5 hr and a shop rate of 80 and hr that is why they come up with this..

Which is about right time wise, remember coffee or soda breaks and then you have the pee breaks too, and if the warden is out there in the garage you can bet it will be all day job...