IGNORED

Another winter storage question

Guest scarylarry

Use something breathable, I never cover mind in the garage besides a little dust what can get on it and I do keep it wipe down on the days I'm bored and it is cold and nothing to do..

Guest scarylarry

Why do you want to cover in a enclosed garage.. If you don't cover it in the summer when you park for a week or so cause of rain do you cover it then..

I just don't cover one unless it is outside when I travel, but neighors think I'm odd for starting everything up weekly and they are the shops when summer rolls a around with gunk carbs..

Is there perhaps a breeze blowing on the bike from a crack in the garage door, allowing it to get colder than the mower? It could be possible that the warming of the day would cause the condensation to form. If I were you, I would switch the position off the bike with the mower....

Concrete floors in a garage sweat or breath moisture. This is worse with garages on a floating slab floor, and garages with no drainage. This moisture contacts the cold metal and you get condensation. Best thing to do is seal the floor. Next choice is park the bike on an oversized piece of plastic. Next put a bike cover on. then loosely pull the plastic up the outside of the cover about a foot. You can also use this method when storing a bike outside in the winter. only difference is you pull the plastic up under the bike cover and leave a small drain hole in the bottom to allow any accumulated moisture to drain out

What is that, unknown concept to me, please explain.

Gregg:confused07::think::witch_brew::witch_brew:

I ain't talking!!!
Thats right Dan . . . Say nuthing. . . . . . . . . We will just keep all that winter fun for ourselves:snow2::snow2::snow2::snow2: And we are not going to invit him to any of our digging out parties either:thumbsup2::snow2::snow2::snow2::crying:

Is there perhaps a breeze blowing on the bike from a crack in the garage door, allowing it to get colder than the mower? It could be possible that the warming of the day would cause the condensation to form. If I were you, I would switch the position off the bike with the mower....

Tried that, no difference.

Concrete floors in a garage sweat or breath moisture. This is worse with garages on a floating slab floor, and garages with no drainage. This moisture contacts the cold metal and you get condensation. Best thing to do is seal the floor. Next choice is park the bike on an oversized piece of plastic. Next put a bike cover on. then loosely pull the plastic up the outside of the cover about a foot. You can also use this method when storing a bike outside in the winter. only difference is you pull the plastic up under the bike cover and leave a small drain hole in the bottom to allow any accumulated moisture to drain out

Have you used this method success ?

What is that, unknown concept to me, please explain.

Gregg:confused07::think::witch_brew::witch_brew:

:stirthepot: Damn you southerners :buttkick:

Saddlebum's advice is good, but I can add a little more to it. I have stored old cars and have friends that do the same for decades. Unheated concrete will cause sweating when temperature and humidity swings wildly, or even mildly.

Use a sheet of plastic (drop cloth, or slightly thicker. Cover as much of the floor as possible, be at least several feet away from the edge of the bike (or car/tractor etc).

Then, go to a carpet store and get a bit of old carpet that isn't too bad that they throw away. cover the plastic with the carpet. It helps hold down the plastic, and acts as insulation.

I cover my stuff in my garage, and it is fairly well sealed,but there is so much dirt in the air these days that no matter what you do, you will get dust. So When inside, just use an old bedsheet to cover that bike. Will keep dust off, won't harm the paint if the wind can't get to it, and is something you probably already have in the house...the wife needed an excuse to get a new set of sheets anyway....right? :)

This won't prevent your bike from getting fogged over if you pull the bike out into a warm moist day and the bike is cool, but it will keep it from getting any moisture on it from the concrete.

Tried that, no difference.

Have you used this method success ?

:stirthepot: Damn you southerners :buttkick:

I have used both My garage is so bad for condensation that in the spring water just drips off of my big drill press. During the winters when my garage is too full to get into I use the outdoor method. I even leave my battery tender in there and leave it plugged into the outdoor oulet. Come spring or even a nice day I just uncover and go. P/S and I always put seafoam in the tank ride to the gas statation and fill it up before I cover it up.

The carpet is a good addition or outside plywood on top of a sheet of an oversized sheet of plastic then pull the plastic up the side and put the cover on. An old blanket under the cover does not hurt either. it allows air movement betwween the cover and the were it would contact the bike. I add some extra gromets to the bike cover and stake it to the ground

Edited by saddlebum

I have used both My garage is so bad for condensation that in the spring water just drips off of my big drill press. During the winters when my garage is too full to get into I use the outdoor method. I even leave my battery tender in there and leave it plugged into the outdoor oulet. Come spring or even a nice day I just uncover and go. P/S and I always put seafoam in the tank ride to the gas statation and fill it up before I cover it up.

Looks like I'll be doing as you suggest. Thanks. :thumbsup2:

I just put rubber floor mats under the tires, pull the battery and cover the bike. Stays there for a few months no problems. (yes fuel stabilizer is added)

My garage hardley ever gets below freezing. I see more moisture when the bikes are not covered.

Brad

I just put rubber floor mats under the tires, pull the battery and cover the bike. Stays there for a few months no problems. (yes fuel stabilizer is added)

My garage hardley ever gets below freezing. I see more moisture when the bikes are not covered.

Brad

fortunatly for Brad he has an attached garage, so it will have foundation walls and very likely weeping tiles around the parimater. This greatly reduces the moisture issue, over a freestanding garage and particularily one that sits on a simple slab (such as Mine ) Local ground water levels, is also a big factor .

The trick is to keep the surface of the bike warmer than dew point. Without getting real technical, anytime moist air.. doesn't neccessarily have to be warm...hits a surface colder than dew point, moisture will condense on the surface. Even in subfreezing temps you will get condensation. It's called Rhime or frost. I really don't need to worry about dew on the bikes out here on the west coast as we rarely hit dew point in the central valley, but has anyone thought of using an electric blanket, set on very low, under a cover. It generally only take a couple of degrees to get the bike warm enough to keep it above dew point.