IGNORED

1988 Harley Ultra Classic # 482

Hummingbird

I need some input from the Harley guys here. I've been offered a 1988 Ultra Classic as trade for an item I have for sale.

It appears to be in good cosmetic condition but I have no solid experience with Harleys. This would be strictly for turn over. I really don't have any desire to own a Harley except for profit.

I guess I need to know whether this bike has any mechanical flaws and if it has a viable value this coming spring and what that value 'might' be.

Thanks

Dick,

What is the item of trade that you have worth? Obviously if your going to flip it I'd personally want to make about 40% minimum to make it worth my while and aggrivation. As far as it's worth go to NADA and get a rough idea of what the resale value is on it. Another good barometer is ebay and see what similar ones have sold for recently :2cents:

Here's a 1990 without a windshield that went for $4200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Harley-Davidson-FLHTC-ULTRA-CLASSIC-/160505344962?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item255edd33c2

Edited by Squidley

Dick,

What is the item of trade that you have worth? Obviously if your going to flip it I'd personally want to make about 40% minimum to make it worth my while and aggrivation. As far as it's worth go to NADA and get a rough idea of what the resale value is on it. Another good barometer is ebay and see what similar ones have sold for recently :2cents:

Here's a 1990 without a windshield that went for $4200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Harley-Davidson-FLHTC-ULTRA-CLASSIC-/160505344962?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item255edd33c2

In his first contact with me, he claims his Classic # 482 will go for about $12,500 in the spring. He's from Pa and the riding season is over for us. The $12,500 figure is nearly 3 time my face value of the boat I have for sale - looks good on paper but then so does some of the stuff coming out of DC !!

In his first contact with me, he claims his Classic # 482 will go for about $12,500 in the spring. He's from Pa and the riding season is over for us. The $12,500 figure is nearly 3 time my face value of the boat I have for sale - looks good on paper but then so does some of the stuff coming out of DC !!

His price seems right for the area, but he will have to sit on it and possibly wait months or longer to get that much. I agree that the used HD market is completely flooded now and for the foreseeable future.

The market is flooded with used bikes, all brands. Be carefull here, I know you can pick up some very good low milage used Harleys even in the Los Angeles market for about 6 to 9 K.

How many miles on it ? Unless its something special, I would not go over 8K at the most.

12.5K for an '88? :scratchchin: Hmmm........

here's a 2000 (14K miles) for 12,500: item # 200548631534

and a 2001 (24K miles) for 12,500: item # 270671441938

and a 2001 (20K miles) for 11,400: item # 370457563722

even a 2005 (33K miles) for 12,000: item # 120650931684

etc, etc, etc.......you get the point.

I looked at a nice 1998 this past Spring with 70K on it and they were asking $6000.00 (at a dealer, no less). I'm no expert but in my neck of the woods the going price on an '88 ultra is going to be @4-5000.00.

Edited by thughes

My take is if you do not know much or anything about it let him sell it and bring you cash. does he have maintenance records? is he the original owner? has he had the top end rebuilt? This isn't built like the Harley's of today and would need alot of maintenance. You would have to be a really harley nut looking for this bike to spend 10K for it and most banks will not finance something this old leaving you cash only buyers. Not a good trade!

this one is supposed to be SPECIAL - like I said earlier, I'm no Harley expert

I don't mean to put anybody down, and I'm sure some folks find this to be a "special" bike, but other than a commemorative insignia and paint job the reality is that it's just a 23 year old Electra Glide.

I don't mean to put anybody down, and I'm sure some folks find this to be a "special" bike, but other than a commemorative insignia and paint job the reality is that it's just a 23 year old Electra Glide.

If you talk to any HD Owner they all are "Special". We call it the HD Mystique also known a Marketing Magic or the "HD BUG" as they say in the Asia... LOL. I agree this is a 23 year old HD and this guy still believes in the Resale Factor yet another myth all of which has now been solidified in the recent Economy called Back to Basics folks. Unless you are an expert in this field I would stay away and get a good nights sleep. :confused07:

If you talk to any HD Owner they all are "Special". We call it the HD Mystique also known a Marketing Magic or the "HD BUG" as they say in the Asia... LOL. I agree this is a 23 year old HD and this guy still believes in the Resale Factor yet another myth all of which has now been solidified in the recent Economy called Back to Basics folks. Unless you are an expert in this field I would stay away and get a good nights sleep. :confused07:

Don't get me wrong, I respect HD and those that ride/own them. I've got a '79 XLH in my stable, all original (including the stock Siamese 2>1

Well, I like Harleys just fine (actually, I really like some models quite a bit), but do usually prefer Yamahas.

The problem I have with HD is all of the the Special Anniversary bikes. I think HD over-uses that way too much.

My 2003 Sportster is a good enough bike. It is an anniversary bike, a 100th anniversary bike. Now that makes a little sense to me to have a 100th anniversary moniker. But, it still won't sell for anymore than a non anniversary 2002 or 2004 model.

But HD seems to have an anniversary special every 5 years. To me, having an anniversary model that often is just dumb. That just takes the "special" right out of it.

To some folks, I guess, that marketing must be effective enough to separate them from their money.

Yup, i wouldn't take the trade. If it has never been rebuilt, it will need to be. I think this gut knows what is worth, or what he can't sell it for, so he is trying to get over on you. Harley or not..I wouldn't do it. Now, if it was an old Triumph, BSA or Norton in great condition...Inna Heartbeat...

Yup, i wouldn't take the trade. If it has never been rebuilt, it will need to be. I think this gut knows what is worth, or what he can't sell it for, so he is trying to get over on you. Harley or not..I wouldn't do it. Now, if it was an old Triumph, BSA or Norton in great condition...Inna Heartbeat...

YEAH - had it been one of those 3, I'da been draggin' my boat to him :smile5:

I just bought an Ultra a couple of months ago. The market might be flooded, but it's still hard to find any Harley (except a Sportster) below $8000.

I looked on Craigslist daily in TN. and surrounding states for a while before I found one that I thought was a good deal. I think even an 88 model would go close to $8000 if it's in good shape.

I just bought an Ultra a couple of months ago. The market might be flooded, but it's still hard to find any Harley (except a Sportster) below $8000.

I looked on Craigslist daily in TN. and surrounding states for a while before I found one that I thought was a good deal. I think even an 88 model would go close to $8000 if it's in good shape.

If the picture he sent me is current, it's a pretty good lookin' bike

I just sold my 2000 XLCH 1200 Custom with lots of extras for 2,980.00 The market for Harley has been ageing baby-boomers (like me!) but that market is fast getting too old to ride. Too many Ultras are getting put on the market to support the supposed re-sale value. I'm with you - I wish it had been a Norton Commando!!