IGNORED

Trailer in work

mmoffitt

Friend of mine has the exact same trailer. He sealed the joints and added an aluminum diamond plate lid, hinged up front. He pulls it with his GW. Last year was his maiden tow as we went to Andersonville for POW-MIA Day (The Ride Home). I had him in front of me to watch over him as it was his first pull. We both had it up to 100 mph to catch up with the group at one point. Only had one squirly moment that freak his wife out! Other than that it pulled quite well.

BEER30

Beer30,

Did he make any other modifications? extend the tongue, new grease, etc... Also, did he just seal the joints by putting a bead of caulk inside?

Thanks!

When he first got the trailer, he brought it over to my house just to drop off until we had time to put together. The women folk were in the house "A YACKIN"...you know what I mean. So before you know it, Bill and myself put the trailer together before we knew it. Everything we did was straight out of the box that night.

Several days later Bill went to the base hobby shop and made a lid of smooth aluminum. About a month later ,he made another lid out of Diamond Plate and added gas support struts. He took the first smooth lid and placed in directly over the floor, as it fit perfectly. He sealed all the joints from the inside with silicone (pretty thick) and rubber like gasket material strips. Later we put bearing buddies on the wheels. Never extended the tongue as it pulled great, however we did secured the fenders with better bolts and locking nuts. I know coming from Andersonville, he had at least 300 lbs. of cargo, as the wife bought so stuff while we were there, along with luggage and a 54 qt. cooler inside. He mentioned that he applied light-weight indoor/outdoor carpet in the interior. Both of us traveled together in some pretty harsh rain and there were no leaks detected.

As I stated in previous post of a slight squirly wobble was while in a 15 mph turn onto an on ramp, the trailer hit a pot hole and bounced pretty good. Any trailer would have done the same thing, but it sure was hilarious to see his wife crap a brick! Only other mods he has plans for is a rack up front for small cooler, possible luggage rails on top of the lid and flag pole mounts similar to mine on the BEERCART.

BEER30

Okay...most of day one was running around getting supplies...Didn't get a whole lot done. Here's what I did do:

Removed lights (need replaced)

Removed tie downs around sides of trailer (will be covered with wood)

Painted frame and sides (sides will be covered with wood, only painted incase there are gaps it won't show silver, just look like a shadow)

Removed, cleaned and repacked bearings

Caulked holes and corners from outside (will do this again from inside too)

Did have one incident...I had the trailer upside down while I worked on it. I was lifting it from the tongue to flip it back over and the tongue hit the bike ramps that hang from the ceiling. The ramps started to come down so I let go of the trailer to catch the ramps...Unfortunately they weren't lying in school when they taught me about gravity, so down comes the tongue of the trailer...But don't worry, the trailer is okay, I caught it with my face while catching the ramps with my hands...got a nice little gash between the eyes, nose bleed and a heck of a headache but I think the trailer is fine! After a few choice words and a look in the mirror to ensure my nose was still there, I went back out, finished flipping the trailer, pushed it to the side and cleaned up the garage...I'm done for today!:starz:

In case you guys were wondering, it's the little bloody spot between my eyes that got hurt, the rest of my face is naturally that way, can't blame the trailer on that one!:crackup::crackup:

That sure makes me feel better,,,, I was going to get rid of my trailer, if that were to be a possibility, but you say it was only the bloody spot, so now I am more relaxed.:happy65::whistling:

Okay...most of day one was running around getting supplies...Didn't get a whole lot done. Here's what I did do:

Removed lights (need replaced)

Removed tie downs around sides of trailer (will be covered with wood)

Painted frame and sides (sides will be covered with wood, only painted incase there are gaps it won't show silver, just look like a shadow)

Removed, cleaned and repacked bearings

Caulked holes and corners from outside (will do this again from inside too)

Did have one incident...I had the trailer upside down while I worked on it. I was lifting it from the tongue to flip it back over and the tongue hit the bike ramps that hang from the ceiling. The ramps started to come down so I let go of the trailer to catch the ramps...Unfortunately they weren't lying in school when they taught me about gravity, so down comes the tongue of the trailer...But don't worry, the trailer is okay, I caught it with my face while catching the ramps with my hands...got a nice little gash between the eyes, nose bleed and a heck of a headache but I think the trailer is fine! After a few choice words and a look in the mirror to ensure my nose was still there, I went back out, finished flipping the trailer, pushed it to the side and cleaned up the garage...I'm done for today!:starz:

Looks to me like you have a good law suit against the trailer and ramp manufacturer, none of this could have been avoided. After all there was no warning sticker on the trailer or ramps.:255::stickpoke:

Nope! No relation what so ever.:doh::doh::doh:

You're on your own with that one Ace.

I thought I did good to keep you out of it...I knew good and well this was caused by my upbringing but thought to respect my elders (much more elder!:backinmyday:)...guess I blew that one! :stirthepot::Laugh:

Got some more time in the Garage to work on my trailer. Check out the pictures. Still got more I need to do, but I did make some good progress. Trying to figure out the best way to latch/lock the lids so that they are pulled down tight against the weather stripping I hope to put in there to help seal it tight. Once it's all done, I plan to spray it 5 or 6 times with some Thompson's or something similar.

Suggestions, recommendations and observations always welcome!

Looks good!!!

Got some more time in the Garage to work on my trailer. Check out the pictures. Still got more I need to do, but I did make some good progress. Trying to figure out the best way to latch/lock the lids so that they are pulled down tight against the weather stripping I hope to put in there to help seal it tight. Once it's all done, I plan to spray it 5 or 6 times with some Thompson's or something similar.

Suggestions, recommendations and observations always welcome!

I was going to use old fence boards but I couldn't find anyone giving them away and it was $22 to get as many new ones as I needed. So I figured this way I didn't have to worry about rot and warping as much. Do you guys think I should sand it down or leave it rustic? I'm pretty sure there wasn't much sanding done on the original horse drawn wagons but I'm not sure...

I would make it a rough as possible for the look you are going for.

I've seen some of the old horse drawn wagons and they didn't have neat square cut corners or sanded finishes. Had lots of gaps in the wood etc.

Knew a guy once who made replica "antique" furniture. After it was assembled, he would beat it with a short length of chain, just hard enough to dent the wood but not hard enough to break the fibers. Touch it all up with a hammer. Think about where the natural wear areas are and what would get dammaged with 100 years of use. Gave the piece a very antique, well used look.:thumbsup2: