IGNORED

If you could trade your Venture for a Goldwing

zooer

Honestly, I have nothing against a wing. I've got a few buddies that ride them and they are great bikes, but they're not for me. I know a RSV looks like a 50 year old bike, but that's exactly what I like about it. When I was a kid and fell in love with motorcycles that was the look and that's still the look that appeals to me the most. I know Ol' Blue ain't the fastest bike out there, but it's plenty fast enough for me. Besides, I'm not a speed junkie, that's why I drive a pickup and not a corvette.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had nine bikes over the years, most of the Hondas. All were great bikes, bulletproof reliable. Most recently I owned a 2006 Honda ST1300, and a 2000 Valk Interstate. Both were wonderful bikes in their own right, but I've never owned a bike that fits me as well as well as my RSV. I've ridden a 1000 km in a day, I get off and feel great. Although not as quick as my previous two Hondas, power is adequate. Especially when comparing to the ST1300, it just feels like it has more character, less like an efficient appliance, not to mention all the plastic that needs to be removed when performing maintenance or adding accessories. I would imagine the new Wing to be similar both in nature, and to work on. Just my thoughts, Ron:scratchchin:

• 3 months later...
Nope. A Goldwing is a hell of a bike, but I'm too short. My feet won't touch the ground. Also, I feel like I would need to be at least 60 before I didn't look out of place on one.

Sure,

Then I would go trade it in for a new RSV. Goldwing is too small for me.

So, is the RSV too big or too small?

I'm short, 5' 8" with about a 28-29" inseam. I do know the Kawasaki Voyager fits me well enough. I've also spot-checked a Gold Wing - and it fit much better than I thought.

I can't remember actually test-sitting on a Venture, but a riding friend recently let me know it's as big size wise as a bike he once had: the RSTD - which I thought was MASSIVE. If the ergos of the Venture as the same as his RSTD, then I guess I'll have to keep looking. :(

Also - he said the RSTD's V-4 did not have the torque and power of his Yamaha Raider & Road Star Silverado. I was under the impression that it was a very powerful V-4 with a ~12 sec. 1/4 mile time.

To answer the OP's question, I'd take a GoldWing if I could find one at a good price. :confused24:

Nope, couldn't do it. I just can't imagine wearing the same helmet, sunglasses, boots, pants, t-shirt, jacket, gloves and probably underwear as my passenger.

And I'm not in to teddy bears on my rear rack.

gunk:rotfl::witch_brew:

Ya know what.

I have a teddy bear on my rear rack. It is a small grey elephant called "Maddie".

It was given to me by my youngest daughter who wanted her favourite Webkins teddy to go with Dad when he rides all those miles.

I would rather make room for Maddie than for any number of "Screaming Vulture" or whatever shiny toy folk think makes their bikes better, or louder, or whatever.

"Would I swap my VR for a Gold Wing?"

Well no one has ever made me an offer, so I don't know. I like my VR, but a well sorted mid-nineties Gold Wing would make a heck of a Rally Bike (and they do), so I'd give it some thought.

Most of the criticisms of "top heavy" or "poor handling" are a bit like the old canard that 1st Gens are faster than 2nd Gens; good for a laugh but of zero practical value. All 800lb+ bikes are top heavy, and they all cruise down the road, at grossly illegal speeds, with no problems at all.

In the end you buy the machine that suits you, and it's an individual choice that is a blend of fit, price, prejudice, availability, suitability.

Then, whatever you bought, you simply go out and make it work for you.

When I rally I find that I can finish better placed than folk riding any number of bikes, from brand new FJRs and BMWs, and right across the spectrum ... and none of that makes either me or the bike I am riding better than them or the choice they made.

And Maddie comes too!

I sit identical on a Wing or a RSV.Flatfooted,just barely on both.

Thanks. I guess I'll still have to go take a look at them in person and try one on for size.

I'm heading down Thursday to check out two RSVs. One is a used 2008 Black Cherry model for $10K and the other is a new 2011 Blue model for $16,3K.

Thanks. I guess I'll still have to go take a look at them in person and try one on for size.

I'm heading down Thursday to check out two RSVs. One is a used 2008 Black Cherry model for $10K and the other is a new 2011 Blue model for $16,3K.

The RSV and RSTD are powerful BUT you HAVE TO KEEP THE RPMS HIGH. If you don't you will THINK it is a dog. I loved mine but got tired of waiting on Mama Yamaha to get a little high tech. They didn't so I jumped ship. After getting the Wing to fit me ive never been happier. Don't get me wrong, you do have to do a few mods to make it a GREAT bike. A Wing isn't for everyone but for me.....it's a blast to ride.

I have to keep my current bike (Suzuki Intruder VS800) at higher RPMs for it to really shine as well.

I'd love to get a GW, but doubt I'd ever find a year old new stock for $16K. Though perhaps I should look at what 4 year old used can run me.

I've owned two goldwings, a 1500 and an 1800. The RSV is such an overwhelmingly better ride that I would never go back to a wing. The only better thing the wing has is more HP. Big deal. The RSV is more than adaquate.

The only people who would look twice at a Goldwing is another goldwing owner. They are so ho-hum that they don't even deserve a second glance unless of course you are looking at the generic OEM teddy-bear that goes with the bike.

All 800lb+ bikes are top heavy

Sorry... gotta challenge ya on that one my friend. That is a totally incorrect statement.

6 gal of gas above the frame versus 6 gal of gas below the frame is but one thing (among a few others) that totally changes that.

I've owned two goldwings, a 1500 and an 1800. The RSV is such an overwhelmingly better ride that I would never go back to a wing. The only better thing the wing has is more HP. Big deal. The RSV is more than adaquate.

The only people who would look twice at a Goldwing is another goldwing owner. They are so ho-hum that they don't even deserve a second glance unless of course you are looking at the generic OEM teddy-bear that goes with the bike.

Different strokes for different folks. Having owned 2 1st gens and a 2nd gen, now a Wing, I would never go back to a Venture of either gen.

If I ever did change, it would be to a Victory.

This is not to say I did not like my Ventures while I had them, but it was always a "love/hate" situation with those bikes.

Sorry... gotta challenge ya on that one my friend. That is a totally incorrect statement.

6 gal of gas above the frame versus 6 gal of gas below the frame is but one thing (among a few others) that totally changes that.

They are all top-heavy :p

It may be correct that some are worse than others, but once the bike is moving they are all easy to manage.

When I first rode the VR it felt like riding a pig, compared to a lighter, sports tourer. Within a few miles that feeling went away and it now fits like a glove.

I have absolutely no doubt that a Gold Wing, or BMW K1200LT (another maligned as top-heavy) would be just as easy to handle.

The VRs, by the way, are complete rubbish a low-speeds. Weedy forks and the lack of a decent fork brace do not help. You get used to it, and learn to "drive" round slow speed turns .... Like I said, you compensate and it's fine.

ps ... I'll just add ... When I go riding I have an Auxilliary Tank with 4-Gallons plus a water cooler with 1 Gallon above the rear passenger seat. In theory it would upset the purists AND the handling ... In practise it makes not a blind bit of difference. It's not a sports bike. If I wanted a sports bike I would buy one ... otoh, it can and does cover a lot of ground, decently quickly :)

I see this thread is a couple of years old and in reading through it I saw my original post back in 2010 where I had no interest in a wing because of the comfort factor. How things have changed. After spending some time on a friends GW and in the market for a new bike I took a leap of faith and bought a new 2010 GW last spring with the hopes I could make it comfortable enough to ride. If not, I got a good deal and could trade again.

Now, after 20,000+ miles and a cross country trip to the west coast I think I made the right decision. Here are few of my observations.

Out of the crate the RSV is more comfortable on the road. The forward controls and leg position along with better wind protection make a more comfortable highway ride. I have since added highway pegs, larger windshield and mirror wings to the GW which have improved the comfort. Still not as good as the RSV but OK. My wife likes the passenger seat cushion better on the RSV but likes the wing's backrest better. I'm 5'9" or so and I don't notice much difference in seat heights.

The GW feels much more nimble at all speeds. It feels lighter even though it's not. In my view it has better slow speed handling and handles twisty roads and mountain grades much better.

Crosswinds move the wing around much more than the RSV. And I like the RSV's lower fairing better. It offers better foot and lower leg protection from wind and rain. Wind protection at all speeds is better on the RSV.

The audio, control and instrument package is better on the GW. Tach and temperature guages standard. Clock and air temp which is easy to read. I also prefer the central locking of the saddle bags and trunk. Heated grips and seat is standard. I do ride in cold weather and I've grown to like those two features.

The GW wins in the powertrain as well. The RSV had adequate power but that power came at high rpms and the engine lacked torque for such a heavy bike. Fully loaded it often required some clutch slipping to launch. Especially towing a trailer. On the RSV you have to stir the gears frequently to keep the engine in it's power range. Trying to pull a grade in 5th gear at highway speeds would often require a downshift. The GW on the other hand has loads of torque. Launching off idle fully loaded with a trailer requires little effort. The driveline also feels much smoother and you don't worry about downshifting until you drop below 25 or 30 mph. For my riding style the GW gets slightly better gas mileage.

While the engine and driveline is smooth on the GW, the ride is not. The RSV handles road imperfections and bridge trasitions with little feedback through the handlebars. I think the larger front tire contributes to the smoother ride. The GW really jars you going over bumps.

The electrical system on the wing is more robust. The system can handle heated gear and extra lighting with no problem. The stock lighting package is much better on the GW. Better headlights and tailights. Also, there is no limit to ways you can accesorize.

When I was looking to replace my RSV there were great discounts on leftover 2010 GW. I ended up with one at about the same price as a new RSV, just over $17,000. For equal money you get a more up to date bike with the GW.

In my view there is no perfect bike. There are compromises to make when choosing any bike. After riding to the west coast and back on the GW, over 5000 miles and having taken the RSV on multiple 4000 plus mile trips I think I have a pretty good understanding of the compromises between the two. For town riding, backroad twisty road riding and mountain riding I would take the GW. If I were to just want to roll miles on the interstate at 75 mph all day long the RSV would be the better choice. These are my opinions based on my riding style and experiences. For me the GW provides the best compromise. Your compromises may be different. I liked my RSVs and would go back to one when Yamaha corrects some of the compromises with an update. Your mileage may vary.

Dennis

I bought my RSV because I liked RSV's. I looked as wings and liked them too but I just prefered the RSV. Nothing scientific or interesting I just simply liked the RSV better. Not that the GW isn't a good scoot I just decided to spend my money on the Venture.

Each to his own. But then again I like Dynabeads too.:stirthepot:

I have an '86 VR and an '04 Wing. The VR handles better than the Wing, but that may just be my Wing, it has an odd thing that nobody has been able to fix, but I can't get enough of the power and protection on the Wing. The VR is a more sophisticated bike than the Wing, especially in the suspension. Put the Wing engine in the VR body/frame and I would be in heaven. I am in the market for a newer bike, but just can't decide if I should get a new Wing, or a Victory or a (gasp) Electra Glide Ultra. I have ridden all and like all. But I just am not a basic fan of V-twin engines. The RSV is a good bike, but it needs some updating, and I am just not a fan of something that wants to "look" like a Harley. I wish Yamaha would upgrade the RSV with a couple hundred more CC, direct injection, go to a body more like the original VR, and quit trying to be a Harley.

Anyway, they are all very good bikes. It is nice we have such good choices.

I have an '86 VR and an '04 Wing. The VR handles better than the Wing, but that may just be my Wing, it has an odd thing that nobody has been able to fix, but I can't get enough of the power and protection on the Wing.

Curious about what the "odd thing" is ....

Anyhoo... I've had an '85 and an '87 VR .... both were great handling bikes in the twisties but neither felt too stable at speeds beyond 160 km/h (that's 100 mph) .... although I'd rarely run them at that speed (usually just at 150 :whistling:)

My Wing; however, handles way better both in the twisties and at high speed. I feel a lot more "in control" on the Wing. Mine does have the full Traxxion suspension though so that probably makes a lot of difference. I really don't know what a stock Wing handles like when pushed.

Biggest problem now is, I have a hard time NOT scraping the foot pegs! :cool10: