IGNORED

Oh joy! A leak!?

1joeranger

Seems for Thanksgiving I got a gas leak! Yhea me, I was wondering what to do on this one good day off!! Upon starting the bike I find fuel dripping off the front left engine guard up near the wheel. Pulled the tank cannot see anything and believe I finally will have to pull the airbox for the first time and search around the carbs (virgin territory for me)!

Any thoughts or experiences with this?!? Could really use some guidance here! Happy Thanksgiving All!!

I am no wiz when it comes to that, but from posts that I have read, sounds like you may have a stuck float..tap around on the bowls with the handle of a screw driver and see if that does anything for ya. I am sure that others will have better advise. Good luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Sometimes you can do the following to flush crud out of the float needle:

Turn the fuel valve (on the tank) to "OFF". Ride around the block and turn back on. Ride again.

If there is crud hung up in the seat drawing the fuel down then filling back up as described above sometimes washes it free.

What Carl said works good if the crud you have in there is loose. From your post it sounds as if bike may have sat a while?? The gas we have to use today does not like to sit. If you plan to leave it sit for any time it is best to use Sta-Built or Sea-Foam to help keep the gas from going bad.

Hey Ray,

I have attached a pic of a First Gen. Carb. to give you a general idea at what you are looking for. The Phillips Head Screw is the "drain Screw", the black tube is where the gas is going to come from when you turn the drain screw counter clock wise. There is no need to remove the drain screw, just unscrew a turn or two to get the gas to flow out. If you have the tank petcock on there will be an endless flow of fuel (until the tank is empty) With the petcock in the off position, you will only drain the Carb. Bowl. I would do all 4 Carbs. Because your bike sits on the side stand all the time, the two left Carbs. are usually the gunked up ones. This is not an unusual problem and indicates you are not riding the bike enough. (or so, that's what I tell Jean, "going for a Maint. ride honey") There is no need to overdue it with the Seafoam, a few ounces in a tank of gas for a few tanks of gas is better than a can of Seafoam in one tank of gas.

Hope this helps,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Ray,

I have attached an exploded view of one of the Carbs. from your bike. I know it is not an actual pic, but this should get you close. The yellow arrows mark the drain plug and drain tube.

Sorry for the confusion,:confused24:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
SPELLING!

Your service manual does not have it labeled. It screws into the part labeled #14 in the pic from your manual page. You can also see the hose nipple on part #14.

Service manuals are rarely as complete as the parts fiche, which is where Skydoc's picture came from.

Your service manual quite likely does show the hose. It'll be in the section where it show cable and hose routing.