IGNORED

whats in your oil filter

dray

i know this is already running in another thread but i wanted to add a video with out getting into trouble so here it is your fram oil filter and some others

hope it tells you what you want to know

\

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX0xrqvlsNI&feature=fvw]YouTube - Are Fram Oil Filters The Best ?[/ame]

I just watched an episode of How it's Made? on the Science channel last night and they showed the process of how Fram makes oil filters. All automated, did not see any QC tech at any point in the production line.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjXtmbL1Kk]YouTube - How Its Made - Automobile Oil Filters[/ame]

i did not post this just for the fram but when the video ends there are others you can look at to mobile one , amsoil and others too!

check them all and buy what you like me ill stick to what i buy and leave it at that

good luck

So what did you choose Dray?? I too have been using the Fram for years. Got a few in the shed waiting. But I think I'll look at some others. Price enters into it for some of us here. The Fram is Cheap but looks like it should be! What can we get without spending a lot for it??

You never know what you're gonna get, 'cause you can't go around cutting your filters open. That sux.

On a 1st gen they don't have that goofy can around them so you can inspect them before install.:stirthepot:

I don't understand all the disdain for the paper end caps. Is a metal end really any benefit for what is essentially a paper filter?

Again though, the Fram filter for 1st gens has metal end caps.:stirthepot:

Yeah, the seam on the filter in the video should not have been open. It could be a 1 in a million thing, and most of the oil still passes through the element anyhow.

Now, I do have one very good reason not to buy Fram spin on filters: When they added that black coating on the end they did not offset by decreasing the size of the can. You can't get a socket type filter wrench on them because they are just a hair too big. That's a big problem pulling them off a couple of my vehicles.

You know, I'm not defending anything or anybody but the stuff that gets put up on the WWW is coming from a million different places. So take ANYTHING you see or read on the web with a grain of salt. People have their own agendas when they start posting stuff.

This is so true, but a picture, or video, is worth a thousand words. Or in this case dollars... :mo money: I will continue to buy Wix for my equipment....:thumbsup:

Dray, thanks for posting this....:clap2: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Edited by Steve S

I've been in the auto parts business for over 30 years and have only heard of one oil filter destroying an engine. It was a Fram that a Road Star owner used on an engine that he had just built. After the meltdown he found pieces or filter paper stopping up an oil line.

Some years ago I cut a new Fram open and decided that I wouldn't ever use one from the low quality that I saw. What made it even worse was that I had cut apart a quality filter to compare it to. That made it look even worse.

Just remember: it is not necessarily how the filter is made, but how well it traps particles in the oil that is important.

That said, I did enjoy the how an oil filter is made video.

I use Purolator PureOne filters on all my vehicles. as I agree with the guy in the first video as I will never buy a Fram oil filter again.

Edited by KiteSquid