IGNORED

Road King Mufflers?????

Okay been doing A LOT of reading here and have a few questions about the HD mufflers.

Below are two links to modified mufflers I found on Flea Bay.

What does everyone here recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280591168920&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280590683985&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

1. Stock HD mufflers?
  2. Stock HD mufflers, Modified/punched
  3. Link #1 (Max Performance)
  4. Link #2 (Super Flow)

If recommending the Super Flow, What size baffle would work best for this bike?

I want DEEPER and a little LOUDER, but NOT outrageously loud

Would any of these require re jetting?

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

Edited by TearlessTom

Hi. Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay, and feel you get enough value to feel like you can contribute.

I had stock H-D touring bike mufflers on mine. I went to the dealership and asked for some take offs, and he gave them to me for free. I don't know if they are Road King or Ultra Classic or what, but the price was right.

I enjoyed them for a time. Maybe a little deeper, certainly a lot louder -- loud enough to hear the engine and learn not to fear high RPMs. Sounded like an F-1 race car to me, and I liked it.

I've since taken them off. The loud sound was tiring on long distance rides. I value keeping attentive on LD rides now. I don't think there was much "loud pipes save lives" going on, either; most of the sound was behind me, where following vehicles could see my bright tail lights receding over the horizon.

I'd advise you to get a stock pair. You can always drill them out if they aren't loud enough for you. Good luck.

Dave

Thanks for your quick input.

Another quick question.

I just sold a Street Glide, It had an aftermarket Rush pipe on it and I liked it. Deeper but not obnoxious. (whats the point of having a stereo if you cant hear it)

Anyway, the previous owner still had the original pipes which I obtained.

Is there a difference between the Street Glide and the Road King pipes.

They look smaller to me.

ALSO : I saw and lost a link to a individual who modified the stock RSTD pipes retaining the OEM look which I like. Any idea's on who or where that is or if they are any good.

?

Okay been doing A LOT of reading here and have a few questions about the HD mufflers.

Below are two links to modified mufflers I found on Flea Bay.

What does everyone here recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280591168920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-E-SUPER-FLOW-Road-King-performance-mufflers-/280590683985?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4154820f51

1. Stock HD mufflers?
  2. Stock HD mufflers, Modified/punched
  3. Link #1 (Max Performance)
  4. Link #2 (Super Flow)

If recommending the Super Flow, What size baffle would work best for this bike?

I want DEEPER and a little LOUDER, but NOT outrageously loud

Would any of these require re jetting?

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

Neither of those links take me to any specific item.

Similar to Dave, I had the Road King slash-cut mufflers on. I didn't care for the sound initially so I then drilled out all the baffles .... I then liked the "bark" when cranking it on and the nice "rumble" when cruising; however, on a long trip, especially when I'm climbing hills a lot of the time and slowing down/speeding up due to traffic, the sound gets a bit annoying as under acceleration, they are quite loud (imho) ... so, I removed them and put the stockers back on. Gonna go with that for a summer and then maybe try some Bubs or Khromwerks...maybe not.

As for price, I paid $50 for mine (or was it $75...I forget) and they were in "like new" condition.

As far as I know, no rejetting is necessary for most muffler swaps.

So are they loud unmodified or just deeper.

I guess I need to run up to my local HD dealer that I have spend a lot of money with recently and see if they have any take offs that I can get from them.

Also thanks for the reminder... I just became a paying full fledged member.

Gonna go balance my carbs now. Changed the oil and cleaned the air filters last night after I accidentally locked myself out of the house for a while waiting on the SO to get home. (funny story)

Tom

So are they loud unmodified or just deeper.

Tom

Unmodified they just had a deeper sound and it felt as if the sound was coming from under the bike. After drilling out the baffles, the sound was at the rear of the bike... kinda makes sense I guess since once the baffles are out you have basically a "straight-thru" muffler.

Unmodified they just had a deeper sound and it felt as if the sound was coming from under the bike. After drilling out the baffles, the sound was at the rear of the bike... kinda makes sense I guess since once the baffles are out you have basically a "straight-thru" muffler.

I felt I had the sound coming from under the bike as well. I discovered that the left pipe wasn't on all the way. I ended up buying a pipe expander to open it up more, and it slid on solidly. The sound was then more aft. Or maybe I imagined it. LOL

I didn't really "get" how much louder they were until I pulled a trailer with a full size cooler on it. Then the sound bounced back at me and whoa! Knowing I had 8,000 miles of trailering coming up, I removed them for the Summer. Now I appreciate the quieter ride. :)

Dave

The trailer and wall of sound amplifier.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4633626096_ce51cf3046.jpg

I didn't really "get" how much louder they were until I pulled a trailer with a full size cooler on it. Then the sound bounced back at me and whoa! Knowing I had 8,000 miles of trailering coming up, I removed them for the Summer. Now I appreciate the quieter ride. :)

Dave

Exact same thing for me when I pulled my trailer last summer. Just got to be too much "loud" over the long haul.

"now I appreciate the quieter ride" ....

My wife, on the other hand .... LOL... she wants the RK's back on! ... I think she'll change her "tune" once we take a longer trip with the stockers.

I have a set of slash cut Road Kings on my 06 RSV,really like the sound good. Could be a little louder some times,but they are fine. Not sure about this but cheek for sure,ive been told the need to be 06 or older off a H.D. to be the same inside!!! GOOD LUCK.

I have the same pipes, they do seem to mellow with age, mine seem alot deeper then they did when I first put them on. I didnt drill them, I like em just the way they are:080402gudl_prv: Craig

here are my Wild Pig (HD) pipes.... 2007 RSTD............... i believe in video i had the baffles out (takes 3 minutes to install)....still very throaty and mildly loud w/ baffles in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsITWhIMyM]YouTube - MVI_1041.avi[/ame]

here are my Wild Pig (HD) pipes.... 2007 RSTD............... i believe in video i had the baffles out (takes 3 minutes to install)....still very throaty and mildly loud w/ baffles in.

Very Sweet, Thats the tone I am looking for. Gotta ask, How did you have the camera mounted that it vibated so bad when you reved it up?

In the spirit of completeness, here are my stocks, followed by H-D touring pipes.

Stock

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWIMtsJhDY]YouTube - Stock pipes on the Royal Star Tour Deluxe[/ame]

H-D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt6QoJtem0s]YouTube - Road King Mufflers on the Royal Star Tour Deluxe[/ame]

Guest scarylarry

The ebay links show over a 100.00 that is way to much for HD pipes, me I would put them on start it ride short distance blimp the throttle a lot, not happy drill the engine side out repeat the process then if still not happy drill the rear out..

I have a 2 sets one not drill and one is drill I like the drill set better, you really don't hear it till you throttle up cruising speed you can't tell they are HD pipes..

Also I like the classic better they are the slash cuts...

Very Sweet, Thats the tone I am looking for. Gotta ask, How did you have the camera mounted that it vibated so bad when you reved it up?

i believe i had the camera sitting on my wife's garden roll-a-round stool. i was not trying to get that effects though.............

oops... i re-looked at the video and see her garden stool....so i must have had the camera sitting on one of my small tool boxes??

Thanks for the Info and the sound clips, I especially like having the before and after clips on the same bike. Makes it easier to compare rather than sound coming from my laptop speakers vs the bike.

I went by my local HD dealer today that I do a good bit of business with. Talked to the service guy who say they give theirs away to a guy to just haul them off and he didn't have any at present. Said to check with the sister dealership as they have more storage area.

Asked him about the Street Glide pipes and he pulled up the part # and they are the exact same muffler.

As stated earlier I have a full set of Street Glide exhaust system hanging in my garage so my next work break in two weeks I may try this.

However to me the HD pipes are not as pretty as the Yamaha pipes so I am looking for a solid chrome cover to slide over it.

I have the slash cut of these on my Valkyrie and they look and sound AWESOME!!!

I 've had several people come up to me and tell me how AWESOME they sound. I've even had a couple of HD riders approach me to listen and complement the look and sound.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-62818268114394/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=yhst-62818268114394&query=Valkyrie&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.airflo.com%2F

Those are 4 inch in diameter. Anyone know where I could find maybe a 3 inch diameter pipe like these. I was thinking about drilling some holes along the side of the HD muffler then wrapping it in Exhaust fiberglass or what have you to take up the extra space then covering it with the larger outer pipe in effect making it a double wall construction to help with any bluing issues.

Thoughts and suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks

Tom

I too did the slashed HD's on my '07 RSTD, & drilled out w/6 holes (1/2") in the tale end, however, I get lots of backfire on deceleration. I checked around for vac leaks but it looked tight to me. Dunno! Maybe mine could use the rejet. Whatchya think?

Bobby

I too did the slashed HD's on my '07 RSTD, & drilled out w/6 holes (1/2") in the tale end, however, I get lots of backfire on deceleration. I checked around for vac leaks but it looked tight to me. Dunno! Maybe mine could use the rejet. Whatchya think?

Bobby

Those seem to "backfire" ... especially if the baffles are removed because then they are basically a "straight-thru" flow. Mine does that too. I even tried plugging the AIS but that didn't mae much difference. At least this is my experience ... dunno about others except yourself.

I think backfirein on decel is a sign of too lean a mixture brought on by less back pressure, You may need a richer jet or at least to turn up the pilot screw a bit. I would start with the pilot screw 1st as it does not require tearing into the carbs.

This is something I hope to advoid.

To

In the spirit of completeness, here are my stocks, followed by H-D touring pipes.

Stock

H-D

:clap2: Dave, in your video, are the HD pipes completely stock or have they been modified in any way? I have a set of 95 models,in excellent condition, and considering putting them on my'01 RSTD. However, my stocks are not slip-ons, so I will have to cut the stocks off. :happy65::happy65::happy65: