IGNORED

NEW LED highway lights 8W each 120 Lumens

I'm all about being seen for protection.. Not only is it important to put out a lot of light in order to see the road ahead of you for potential dangers, but it's also important to be able to BE seen by oncoming traffic and others by putting out enough light without blinding the already blind.

If you watch a bike approaching you on the road, its the "blob" of light you see that determines how noticeable you really are.. hence driving with high beam during the day time makes you more noticeable, driving with highway light makes this blob a lot wider, more noticeable.. safer.

A nice offset with the new lights installed is that gains over 84Watts back to the bike electrical system, allowing me to potentially add way more accessories if I needed to.. which I do ;)

HID headlight draws only 35W as it is a single bulb double action set up, instead of using the conventional 55/65 bulbs.. HID puts out a lot of light, bright white light that it also drowns out your highway lights.. these no longer really aid in lighting up the road anymore as the HID sweeps across the road and reach out into the darkness.. Not only that but because the HID is a cooler white light, the highway lights now have a really yellow / amber look to them.. and they no longer stand out at all..

I installed these new LED sealed beam lights on the bike and well sir, what I can tell you is that they superseded MY expectations above and beyond.. They put out 120 lumens each.. And they are also bright white colour. And only require 8 watts each from the bike.. do the math, that's a lot of watts back for the toys..

The included photos will show first what the oem sealed beam looks like on the wall.. then the LED sealed beam.. it's mounted on the LEFT side of the bike. The HID and other light covered to isolate the given highway light's light..

Notice the yellow of the right light compared to the left light.. Now the BLOB of light is much wider and discernible than before.. the dim yellow of the oem light is no longer longer lost in the HID's light..

I'll have to wait and see what it looks like out on the road at night.. how it looks when seen from the front etc..

Still more testing and trying it out to see how viable these will be for a long run.. the HID worked out superbly, now hopefully these will to.. can't see why not.. Sealed, solid state.. LED.. Hmm

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what it looks like after both installed..

The red lens flare is from the LED onto the digital sensor on the camera..

The link to the lights.. ? Aww c'mon.. let me be the first kid on the block with them for a day or two OK? lol.. $40 each online.. I'll post the link once I find it again as my buddy wants them too..

There is a glitch with one of them which I hope the company will be doing the right thing and replacing them..

If it stops raining tonight I'm going to have to do a little testing in the dark.. ;)

If these are the same LED driving lamps that I tried, you may find that they interfere with the radio. Please try out your radio with strong and weak stations and let us know. I gave up on the LED driving lamps that I tried because I want to hear the radio. I went back to H7616 lamps, which are pretty powerful as well as power-consuming. If I could get these low-power-consuming LED lamps to work without killing radio, then I would definitely switch to them.

If these are the same LED driving lamps that I tried, you may find that they interfere with the radio. Please try out your radio with strong and weak stations and let us know. I gave up on the LED driving lamps that I tried because I want to hear the radio. I went back to H7616 lamps, which are pretty powerful as well as power-consuming. If I could get these low-power-consuming LED lamps to work without killing radio, then I would definitely switch to them.

Was the radio noise you experienced in all modes, AM, FM, CB, AUX? I always listen to music via my ZUMO and XM adapter. Would the noise affect that through the AUX input?

Dennis

You havent been paying much attention to the watering hole, have you????

http://www.greenboatstuff.com/maseledsplab.html

Them's the ones, I couldn't find my link to it..

I don't notice radio interference on FM but I can hear it on the AUX with nothing playing.. just a slight hiss.. the 4W lower bulbs put out more hiss on my bike, and I have the hidden antenna under the hood as well.. I tend to play tunes from my ZUMO than radio so it wasn't apparent until someone mentioned it and I went out to test it..

Can anything be done to eliminate that hiss from the LEDs?

The Led lights that you were talking about that effects your radio, it effect the cb radio as well as the FM. I can transmit out but cannot hear people talking back to me. The Led lights are transmitting a signal by themselfs and Not through the wires. I can pull into my shop and my radio on the wall will have the same static as my motorcycle radio. I turn the key on and off without the motor not running and get static everytime the lights come on. If these are a different light I would like to know. The radio is no big deal, but the cb is a must when riding with a group to communicate back in forth.

Hal :superman:

Edited by Santa Hal

It matches up with the light output of a 35W PAR36 incandescent, but in a much tighter beam pattern (25° vs the factory lamp's 80°)

What about the smaller spread on the beam? Those of us that ride the country roads need to illuminate the critters lurking by the side of the road.

I don't have the CB antenna on my bike so I can't test it right now.. these lights have a flood pattern and not a spot (beam?) pattern as shown in the original photos.. few more days of rain to go through before I can test ride them.. if it doesn't snow first lol

It matches up with the light output of a 35W PAR36 incandescent, but in a much tighter beam pattern (25° vs the factory lamp's 80°)

What about the smaller spread on the beam? Those of us that ride the country roads need to illuminate the critters lurking by the side of the road.

As we came back from Tybee in dark, I was lighting up from ditch to ditch. Ask the guys riding with me, they enjoyed the well lit up road.:cool10:

As we came back from Tybee in dark, I was lighting up from ditch to ditch. Ask the guys riding with me, they enjoyed the well lit up road.

I'm curious to see what these do with the HID headlight since this one light really puts out a spread of light across the road.. Shame its almost the very bitter end of the ride season =(

You havent been paying much attention to the watering hole, have you????:smile5::smile5:

http://www.greenboatstuff.com/maseledsplab.html

I did see that thread, but wanted to know if it was a different company. Gunboat just installed a set on his '99, I haven't had a chance to swing a leg ovwer his and see what they are like in the dark

:)

I'm curious to see what these do with the HID headlight since this one light really puts out a spread of light across the road.. Shame its almost the very bitter end of the ride season =(

It actually enhances the HID's path a bit. Not much but a little. Stock bulbs would be overwhelmed by the HID.

It actually enhances the HID's path a bit. Not much but a little. Stock bulbs would be overwhelmed by the HID.

Stock bulbs are basically useless for lighting the road and don't add to the blob of light effect to oncoming traffic.. however these LEDs should.. I hope to get out this evening when it gets dark..

I'll let you know.. hopefully my buddy with his HID and OEM bulbs will be available to compare..

H7616 bulbs are an alternative. They are much brighter than the stock lamps. They have a narrow spot beam that can light up the road well ahead of the bike. They draw even more power than the stock lamps -- 37.5 watts each, I think -- but combined with the HID headlamp that draws 20 watts less than stock, that is okay. H7616 lamps do not interfere with the radio, as the GreenBoat LED lamps do.

I won't give up the radio. When I am at home and using the bike for daily commuting, I want the radio for the news and music other than playing my same collection all of the time. When I am traveling, I like to hear the local stations of the places that I am passing through -- it's part of the traveling experience that I enjoy. If it were necessary to choose between the radio and decent safety lighting, the decision would be harder, but it is not necessary to make that choice. An HID headlight combined with H7616 passing lamps provides very good visibility and also lights up the road very well.

Positioned on either side of a 6000K HID headlight, the H7616 lamps do look yellow. I don't care. Their function is far more important than my nit-picky vanity. I can't see that anyway, because I am sitting behind them.

Here is how I use my HID headlight and H7616 passing lights:

Aim the HID headlight properly for low-beam use, which is how it is used most of the time at night.

Aiming the passing lamps is harder, but can be done with some frustration and trial and error. Aim the left passing lamp just slightly higher than the low-beam headlight and turn it inward, so it does not point at oncoming cars.

Ami the right-side passing lamp a little higher than the left one, and point it straight ahead or just slightly outward to the right, so it lights up the side of the road.

With the passing lamps aimed this way, if the headlight is on low beam then the passing lamps extend the reach of light and also light up the side of the road. If the headlight is on high beam, then the passing lamps fill in closer, while the headlight is illuminating the distant road.

As mentioned earlier by many these LED lights do emit an interference into the radios which I don't notice as I use MP3 players etc.. However, it will bother others very much..

I did some searching online about this and came across all kinds of links about the problem in boats, homes and cars of all things.. I don't have the memory to remember all what and why it does the interference but it's something to do about how quickly the lights switch on and off while they are on.. the LED switch rapidly on / off to work properly, something around the 60 mHz something like that.. (and I can't find the reference link again.. grr)..

Anyway, short version is that the biggest recommendation is to install a "FERRITE CHOKE" onto the lead wire (positive) to clean up the signal.. such as this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103222 Its worked for some applications and did squat for others.. Of course these are no where available in my geographical area so I can't try them out..

So that's what I found out so far..

Anyone know about these or what it does, would it work etc?

I'd rather stay with the WHITE LED than yellowish H7616 to be honest but sooner or later, that lack of radio reception will bite me.. ergh