IGNORED

Stupid Dealers

yamahamer

I Just Called My Dealer That I Have Spent $32,000.00 At In The Last Four Years And Have Sent Countless Customers To And Ask How Much He Would Charge Me To Mount And Balance 2 New Tires For Me. He Tells Me "you Didn't Buy Them From Me So I Can't Do It" What The F*@! I Got Them For $65.00 Less So I Could Aford To Have Them Put On. What Ever Happend To Customer Service After The Sale?:225:

Then your response should be "then I will find a new dealer that will". I suspect he will change his tune. You may want to remove the wheels from the motorcycle and see if that makes a difference to him.

My local dealer charges $27 per tire (if the wheels are removed from the bike) - no questions asked.

RR

Probably one more that doesn't know how to run a business, just follow the absolute line of the "franchise".

You weren't asking him to warranty the tire but it could be that HIS insurance doesn't cover HIS workers if using "customer supplied" parts... but anyone with BUSINESS sense and any sense of customer appreciation would explain that and tell you of a shop they trust to do the job and make a "courtesy" call to set you up.

If, as you imply, he left you high and dry, you might consider that this will be his attitude down the line.

A smiling face and extended hand doesn't make a dealer a quality provider.

Call around, I'll bet you find three "regular" motorcycle shops nearby that would be HAPPY to have your business and treat you with delight to be of service.

Many of the "franchise" shops only want to sell new bikes, see warranty work as a pain they HAVE to endure and refuse anything outside warranty. Treat them as the "salesmen" they "want to be" and take any other business to a shop that you respect and have confidence and comfort with. That will be the one to treat you like a true long term customer.

My attitude would be to drop the dealer and any recommendations. Low price is nice but it wears thin after the check is cashed. There are other dealers out there with business sense and maybe they can't offer the rock bottom sale price but they stand behind their COMPANY and CUSTOMER.

Bottom line, always remember that it's YOUR wallet. Turn around and walk out.

I know what you're saying. It would be upset also. But I recently wanted a set of avon venoms for my bike. At biketoberfest in Daytona I went by J & P Cycles and they gave me a price of $139.99 per tire. I went to my dealer and asked them for a price on 2 tires and they said they would sell them to me for $140.00 per tire. When I asked how much they would charge to mount and balance the tires they said there would be no charge. Even if I paid a little more than I could have gotten them elsewhere it wasn't worth the hassle for a few dollars. However if I had spent the kind of money you have and sent customers I would be upset with them for not mounting the tires and I would have told them so.

I Just Called My Dealer That I Have Spent $32,000.00 At In The Last Four Years And Have Sent Countless Customers To And Ask How Much He Would Charge Me To Mount And Balance 2 New Tires For Me. He Tells Me "you Didn't Buy Them From Me So I Can't Do It" What The F*@! I Got Them For $65.00 Less So I Could Aford To Have Them Put On. What Ever Happend To Customer Service After The Sale?:225:
I have the same policy in my shop if I don't sell the parts I don't make any profit. I understand you have spent 32000.00 there but the dealer did not make 32k they made about 1500.00 after they paid all the related expenses to being in business. then there is the liability issue what if they damage your new tire or wheel mounting them they have to pay for them after not making anything from a sale. Then what happens if the part you suppled fails? There are some people not all but some that will assume the shop did some thing wrong that caused your part to fail and they will be more than happy to tell everybody what a no good sob you are. Bottom line is the dealer invested alot of money and time assumed alot of liability and risk with the expectation of making a profit not because they had nothing better to do. They are no different than you how many times have you punched off the clock to provide a service for a customer who did not want to pay what you need to make to pay your bills. I believe every body should provide good service and should stand behind the quality of there service and parts. I also believe they have the right to charge for that service. Keep in mind there are 3 sides to every story there is your side their side and the right side which usually land some where in the middle.

There is also a concept in law called joint and several liability. I learned about this when I fixed airplanes. If the mechanic screws up fixing your plane, but the jury decides that the airplane maker or the parts maker is also partly responsible, say 10%, they can assign all the liability to the one with the deepest pockets. This is how the slip and fall lawyers make all their millions. They don't sue the mechanic, they sue the mechanic, and the airplane maker, and the parts provider. Not to say a motorcycle dealer would not have to pay. They surely would be liable if there was an incident, and for the total depth of their pockets, not just for the cost of repairs. I'm not sure I'd do it either if I owned a shop. Even if you win you still have to pay for your defense, along with higher insurance premiums.

My dealer will mount my tires that I purchase online if I take the wheels off the bike. But if I'm going to do that much work I just go ahead and mount the tires myself, and save the trip to the dealer. Almost as fast if you consider travel and wait time.

If I find a cheaper price on the internet, I give my dealer a shot at matching the price. He usually gets close enough to get the sale. He has to make money to keep the doors open and I need to watch my wallet. Last time I bought tires, he was close enough. Just a thought.

This issue is the very reason that I buy 95% of my parts through my local dealer. I know the people out there and when I need help they are very willing to do anything they can to help. They know I buy my parts from them so I do get a small discount on what I buy. If there is a problem, they take care of it.

Sure I could save a few bucks on my tires and batteries. But they need the local support to keep the lights on so I am willing to do this. I like having a local store to shop in.

Guest KitCarson

I think one very important point is getting overlooked here. Yamahamer stated that he asked the dealer how much to mount the tires. He was not trying to get something for nothing. He had offered to pay for the service. What the dealer said was.....not interested.....you did not buy the tires from me.....go take a flying leap. I ran into that attitude with Crickett......you did not buy the bike from us.....go take a flying leap.

I do not run a bike shop Yamahamer.......but if I did ......I would mount your tires for you.......for about $100 dollars......us plumbers make more money:rotf::rotf:. Honestly it only makes sense to cater to the public. Yes there are those who no matter what you do....will as Redneck has said.....tell eveyone you are an SOB........I was called a Shiftless South Carolina Redneck just last week!! I told the lady.....Thank You......I have worked hard to earn that reputation.........:sign20:Kit

What I do is if a customer wants to furnish their own materials.....water heater.......faucet......whatever......does not matter to me, hey I did not have to haul it over there.........What I do however and it has served me well in the courtroom several times, is simply state on the invoice.......installed customer furnished whatever, has saved my neck more than once. Kit

All i ask of anyone that wants tires mounted, why didn't you let me try to save you some more money before you bought? Most of my customers are sharper than me ( shop owner ) that why i work for them. Because we both have options, things don't always go smooth. Not to install anything purchased elsewhere is a 30 yr policy of my shop of 33 yrs of operation. Sold a tire ( Hayabusa ) in a 3 hr period customer picked up a nail, worked out an agreement with customer ( tire not warranted by man ). He ( happy ) + me ( hero ) = good business.

I have the same policy in my shop if I don't sell the parts I don't make any profit. I understand you have spent 32000.00 there but the dealer did not make 32k they made about 1500.00 after they paid all the related expenses to being in business. then there is the liability issue what if they damage your new tire or wheel mounting them they have to pay for them after not making anything from a sale. Then what happens if the part you suppled fails? There are some people not all but some that will assume the shop did some thing wrong that caused your part to fail and they will be more than happy to tell everybody what a no good sob you are. Bottom line is the dealer invested alot of money and time assumed alot of liability and risk with the expectation of making a profit not because they had nothing better to do. They are no different than you how many times have you punched off the clock to provide a service for a customer who did not want to pay what you need to make to pay your bills. I believe every body should provide good service and should stand behind the quality of there service and parts. I also believe they have the right to charge for that service. Keep in mind there are 3 sides to every story there is your side their side and the right side which usually land some where in the middle.

mike i couldn't agree more!

every day, i am asked to "prostitute" my services/abilities, "cause we is friends!!!!!!"

when you find the shoe on the other foot, "friendship" has flown out the window!

bottom line, is , "there ain't no free meals"!

just jt

Quit gripping, buy the tools and do the job yourself from now on. I did and it ain't hard to do. Then if anything goes wrong you are the only one that can be held accountable. Easy fix. Oh yeah now friends come over and help with the tire changing on their bikes. We have some good fellowship along with helping each other out. I don't just do it all myself. It's really not that hard.

1st...I DID GIVE HIM THE CHANCE TO SELL ME THE TIRES $186.00 VS $121.00.

2nd...I HAVE A JACK AND WAS GOING TO TAKE HIM THE RIMS NOT THE BIKE.

3rd....I FOUND SOMEONE DOWN THE ROAD TO DO IT FOR $20.00 PER RIM.

4th....I RIDE HARD SO I WANT THEM BALANCED THATS WHY I DON'T DO THEM MYSELF.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST I HAVE TYPED A LETTER TO THE DEALER EXPLANING WHY HE WILL NOT SEE ONE CENT OF MY MONEY OR ANYONE ELSE THAT I KNOW AGAIN. HE HAS A HISTORY OF BS EXAMPLE "I CAN ONLY PUT ONE GALLON OF FUEL IN YOUR NEW BIKE EPA REGULATION" SEE WHAT I MEAN BS. THANKS FOR LEETING ME VENT GUYS AND I WILL FIND A NEW DEALER FOR MY NEXT BIKE.

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

1st...I DID GIVE HIM THE CHANCE TO SELL ME THE TIRES $186.00 VS $121.00.

2nd...I HAVE A JACK AND WAS GOING TO TAKE HIM THE RIMS NOT THE BIKE.

3rd....I FOUND SOMEONE DOWN THE ROAD TO DO IT FOR $20.00 PER RIM.

4th....I RIDE HARD SO I WANT THEM BALANCED THATS WHY I DON'T DO THEM MYSELF.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST I HAVE TYPED A LETTER TO THE DEALER EXPLANING WHY HE WILL NOT SEE ONE CENT OF MY MONEY OR ANYONE ELSE THAT I KNOW AGAIN. HE HAS A HISTORY OF BS EXAMPLE "I CAN ONLY PUT ONE GALLON OF FUEL IN YOUR NEW BIKE EPA REGULATION" SEE WHAT I MEAN BS. THANKS FOR LEETING ME VENT GUYS AND I WILL FIND A NEW DEALER FOR MY NEXT BIKE.

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

I hope you've read Redneck's response before going this route. You may find the other dealers have the same policy. What Redneck says make sense. We may not like it but we should at least respect it.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but it seems to me that you were very happy with your dealer, spending allllllll that money and sending more folks over there to spend their's. People don't usually do that unless they are quite happy with what's going on.

Now you tell the dealer how much you have spent there and remind him of how many people shop there because of you and then you ask him for a 'favor', he probably assumed you were asking for it to be done for no charge. Then if you at times displayed the language there, as you attempted in your first post here, the dealer already has a handle on you and maybe is fed up with what he has to listen to, and now is asked to do a wide open freebie that could land him a bunch of trouble?

I deal with customers every day and if one should get belligerent, well so long buddie, my peace in life is worth more than your business. Thanks for coming, but go bother some else next time, I'd rather see you 'happy' at the competition than miserable here.

Balancing a tire is the easiest part. Next time I do a set I'll take pictures. What I do is slide the axle through the wheel and then place the wheel on 2 pieces of aluminum angle that I screw down to my workbench. You must make sure they are level now. Find the heavy spot and put the weight on the opposite side. There are actually several places on the net that you can look at and learn about this simple procedure. Good luck. I had the same problem with the dealer here. I understand his point to. By buying my tires somewhere else I was costing him money but saving myself some to.

Hey Kit,

I thought I was the only one who has ever been asked to practice safe sex and go and @#&% myself. I did have a lady, uh woman, tell me that I wasn't just a SOB but a revolving SOB. Anyway I turned I was a SOB. Thats life. You can't please everyone all the time.

So simply due to lawyers and insurance companies, big business, etc., the whole country has gone to pot and is circling the giant drain that has been built by all the greedy bast*rds that, "need to make money" and could give a rat's a** what kind of damage they do to society, or to the rest of the world for that matter.:soapbox:

So simply due to lawyers and insurance companies, big business, etc., the whole country has gone to pot and is circling the giant drain that has been built by all the greedy bast*rds that, "need to make money" and could give a rat's a** what kind of damage they do to society, or to the rest of the world for that matter.:soapbox:

Don't want stretch into any argumentative type thread, but it would be nice for you to read what you wrote. Here you stated that it's ok for you to make money by getting some else not to make theirs, and now the question is, when you go to work do you offer to work the first hour for nothing? or take a reduction in your wages because your employer can find cheaper help?. I don't think so, but you are asking some else to do that for you?

You have somewhat of a point there. That being so, I was referring to how the insurance companies and such have made it so tough for consumers and small business in general. They can really take the fun out of life.

Ya I can see where you are coming from, but as said before there is another side to the coin. I'm not sure I got it all the way right but here's my thought on that.

First, there are a lot of people taking the insurance companies for a ride and it's up to them to somehow decipher who's who. Maybe they don't always get it right and maybe sometimes they send out a human to do a god's work, can't be all that easy either doing that job, but that said, I really feel for an honest person when they are put through the wringer, Sherri for example, or Dan or a host of others.

Insurance is also a business and in competition, and their costs are sky high, and some one has to pay for it all, that where premiums come in and why we pay so much. If there were less claims and more money to be made then more companies would jump on the band wagon and premiums would go down, as it is, a feller could be broke even before he starts in that racket. Elimination of bogus claims would sure help a lot as well.

JMT

Carl

Ya I can see where you are coming from, but as said before there is another side to the coin. I'm not sure I got it all the way right but here's my thought on that.

First, there are a lot of people taking the insurance companies for a ride and it's up to them to somehow decipher who's who. Maybe they don't always get it right and maybe sometimes they send out a human to do a god's work, can't be all that easy either doing that job, but that said, I really feel for an honest person when they are put through the wringer, Sherri for example, or Dan or a host of others.

Insurance is also a business and in competition, and their costs are sky high, and some one has to pay for it all, that where premiums come in and why we pay so much. If there were less claims and more money to be made then more companies would jump on the band wagon and premiums would go down, as it is, a feller could be broke even before he starts in that racket. Elimination of bogus claims would sure help a lot as well.

JMT

Carl

Agreed:thumbsup2:

You have somewhat of a point there. That being so, I was referring to how the insurance companies and such have made it so tough for consumers and small business in general. They can really take the fun out of life.
It takes alot of fun out of the life of the insurance company's day when they hear $750 will not cover a bruise on a leg. Don't be surprised when your insurance premium goes up. Don't get me wrong I am not a big fan of insurance companys but I do understand that most of there claimants want a bigger piece of the pie than they are entitled to.

There are signs out that say "take care of the customers or someone else will" and "It takes years to built trust, but minutes to throw it all away".

Happened to me today, bought a small ring on layaway, bill has a date that says December 26, 2007 balance owing is XXXXX. I get a letter in the mail today stating I am past due the monthly payments, and if I do not pay soon I will forfeight the dpeosit. I go down to the store and the lady there states that I was too pay each month as this is there policy (my bill stated one payment at a certain date) Anyway for once I was nice and this lady starts ripping me. I tell her I will talk to a manager tomorrow. Thinking about it I say the hel with it, and go back and ask for my money back as stated on the back of the bill, they would gladly refund ALL my money. At first she is not going to do it all, then she tells me that I can have all but the 5 layaway fee.

NOW she pissed me off, and I ended up geting all my money back.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, would suggest going back and speaking to the manager and try to have a decent conversation and see wear that goes, before running away, as you were happy with them before.

Brad