IGNORED

Rotella T5 10W30 Synthetic Oil

I picked up the Oil this morning at Walmart for a nice price. It is Synthetic and the oil grade is recommended for our Venture as stated on the sticker in the trunk. T5 also has JASO certifications listed in the back of the container, but it does says Energy Conserving in front of the label.

Has anybody used this in their Venture?

It actually says "Energy Saving" not the dreaded "Energy Conserving", but you should check the API oil service rating "doughnut" on the back label for the text "Energy Conserving"..

also it is a Synthetic Blend, not a pure synthetic.

when I go to Shell's Rotella T5 website HERE I note that T5 does NOT have a JASO MA rating like is required in my owners manual, but you should check yours....

You may want to take it back and buy Rotella T6 instead...... I would.

It actually says "Energy Saving" not the dreaded "Energy Conserving", but you should check the API oil service rating "doughnut" on the back label for the text "Energy Conserving"..

also it is a Synthetic Blend, not a pure synthetic.

when I go to Shell's Rotella T5 website HERE I note that T5 does NOT have a JASO MA rating like is required in my owners manual, but you should check yours....

You may want to take it back and buy Rotella T6 instead...... I would.

The back of the container has "JASO DH2" that was developed specifically for Japanese automotive diesel engines equipped with aftertreatment devices - according to what I've read. So at this point I am not so sure about the oil and I agree with you as well...return the bottle of oil and get my refund.

I too, had bought a jug of T5 that I was going to put in my scoot. The "Energy Saving" tag also scared me off. So I took it back and got the T6.

If you read the fine print on the back of the T6 bottle, it also says "Energy Saving". Next oil change I may try the T5 anyway, but that won't be until sometime in the summer of 2011.

Hi straycatt. I still have my T5 jug and had been reading more about JASO DH2 classification. So far, I don't see any problems if we use the T5 on our bikes. I have Rotella 15W40 dino in my bike now and soon will be changing for winter oil...that is 10W30. Just like you, I may at this point give it a try and assume the risk. 900 miles to go until my next oil change.

• 2 weeks later...
After putting over 100 miles on my bike with the T5 10W30 Rotella, I give this oil a thumbs up. No bad problems to report about the oil. Great for cold weather riding. Ride Safe.

100 miles?? Where'd ya go? For a morning coffee? Get out there and really ride that bike ;)

Just to and from work...I think I'll put more miles on my bike all weekend long and through next week. That reminds me, on my way home I will have to pickup another jug of T5 while it is on sale.

Humph.. saw rain and SNOW today.. grr.. patiently waiting for global warming to really kick in..

Considering that it is going to Thanksgiving next week, I just can't imagine that 2010 has just flew by so fast. December will go just as fast. A little bit of warming trend would be nice. :mustache: Lately, I've been putting on my Gerbings to keep me comfy:cold:. As far as rain and snow is concerned in your area (Seaking), there is really nothing you can do and wait it out until the pavement dries up. :sleigh: is just around the corner and :fishin: season is just 4 months away. :thumbsup2:

I don't know if I would be using that oil because of that rating. Acoording to the following exerpt from the Calsi page's article "all about oil" it needs to be JASO MA.

"Another institute that certifies oils is called the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization, JASO. One wonders why this Japanese organization has an English name. . . In any case, they have two classifications for motorcycles, "MA" and "MB." MA is the one you want. MB is like the API SL category, it's got all those nasty friction reducing chemicals that may scare your clutch into misbehaving. Again, there is an official JASO seal if the oil has been independently tested. The seal is a rectangle; in the upper quarter of the rectangle will be a serial number, and the lower three quarters will just have the letters MA. If the oil manufacturer did their own testing, instead you'll see just words like "Meets or exceeds JASO MA standards." Some manufacturers recommend JASO-MA certified oil. AMSOil and Golden Spectro are JASO-MA certified. Some people consider this important. Interestingly, although Honda recommends a JASO-MA oil, Honda oil is not JASO-MA certified. Mostly JASO-MA is pretty much equivalent to SH. In fact, the JASO spec is mostly a reaction to the decrease in zinc-phosphates in SJ and SL oils, and the added molybdenum disulfide in energy conserving oils. Personally, I don't care about JASO standards - they're really not on my radar."

I'd be doing some checking before using that, most 10w30 weight oils I have seen are eenergy conserving/saving and contain friction modifiers. Regards, Ron

Hello Jactana. FWIW, Rotella T5 has JASO certification.

As far as oil is concerned, it is all about personal preference. A lot of Venture owners recommend Rotella and so far I've used about 3 gallons of Rotella 15W40 over the summer and Fall. T5 to me is a great oil and does not cause any clutch slippage on my Venture.

Let us know what kind of oil you end up using. Thanks for your input.

Ride Safe.