IGNORED

Brake Light Stuck On

I've got a 1999 RSV. The brake light is stuck on. I've disconnected both the front and rear brake switch and the brake light stays on. When I unplug the brake relay, the brake light goes off. I've replaced the front brake switch, the rear brake switch, and the brake relay. The brake light is still stuck on.

I've inspected the wiring I can see that's not wrapped up in the front or main wiring harness and see no visible scrapes, cracks, cuts, breaks, etc.

Has anybody had or seen this problem before?

Suggestions?

As always, thanks for your help.

Already changed the bulb and it still does the same thing. Is there something else I need to check regarding the bulb?

Yes, when I unplug the relay, the brake light goes off, but the tail light stays on.

I did have the engine changed out a couple of months ago, but I wouldn't think that would effect the wiring since the wiring runs over the frame above the engine.

Has the bike been down or hit anything? A friend hit another bike and took a hit to the right side. The bracket the the front hand brake relay attaches to was bent. We straightened it and the brake light went out. Just trying all the bases.

Like mentioned above about the right grip break handle, look at the adjustment screw in the center and maybe back it out just a tad. Mine was just barley touching the plunger, and allowing the break light to come on while riding ( vibration ) :confused24:

The brake relay is a fairly simple circuit.

12V+ runs first through the front brake switch, then to the rear brake switch, then to the brake relay coil. Other side of brake relay coil is grounded. Positive side is energized any time key is on. Both brake switches interupt the current flow to the brake relay. The coil on the brake relay is normally energized.

Pulling the relay will turn off the brake light, as the light works through a normally closed contact. This contact is opened by the energized coil when neither brake is depressed. When the relay is pulled, there is no path through the contact to light the brake light.

Check and see if you have 12v+ at front switch connector, (key on), then check at back connector, then check at brake relay coil. At some point you are losing continuity in this circuit.

Below is a link to wiring diagram.

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

Gary

• 5 weeks later...