IGNORED

"I Quit" update

SilvrT

Hope you guys don't mind me bringing up an old thread.....

I'm digging this one up because I've finally quit smoking. The weird thing is that I didn't have any physical troubles stopping. I had a few moments where I wanted a smoke while on vacation but it passed. Now that I'm back to work, the urge is greater.

You see, I only smoked at work. My wife never has seen a cigarette in my hand. I've done this for many years. I have some nicotine gum but I think it has to do with habits. If things get tough I have the urge to go outside to light one up. Hopefully, I'll stop this habit. Two weeks so far.

Hang in there folks:

I did the Chantax last Sept 1st....Not even a puff....been in places where other folks are smoking and leave because it burns my nose...

NOTE: I quit the Chantax after 4 weeks....Side affects for me...Waking up at 3:00 AM and not going back to sleep...

NOTE: After 2 full weeks there is NO..nicotine in the system and from there on it is the pacifier habit....

I just don't think about them anymore...Hang in there....

George In Viriginia

Yes! Xsmoker here stopped in 1988.

Hang in there it does get easier to overcome the urge with every passing day.

I use 1/2 the sugar in my coffee.

I do not add any salt on my food.

I stop drinking soda, too sweet.

No more yellow film on the inside of my home and car windows.

I can smell the cigarette of the guy in front of me in his car doing 70 mph on the expressway.

And, yes I can tell when someone is a smoker.

Besides you think gas is expensive a pack of cigarettes these days will set you back $8, I rather by the gas for my bike. and go riding.

Hang in there folks:

I did the Chantax last Sept 1st....Not even a puff....been in places where other folks are smoking and leave because it burns my nose...

NOTE: I quit the Chantax after 4 weeks....Side affects for me...Waking up at 3:00 AM and not going back to sleep...

NOTE: After 2 full weeks there is NO..nicotine in the system and from there on it is the pacifier habit....

I just don't think about them anymore...Hang in there....

George In Viriginia

The Pacifier habit! That is where I'm at. I literally stepped outside 3 or 4 times today and stood around. Now this was my smoking time. Well, I didn't but seem to have an urge to light up when things get tough at work.

Six years ago I got back on a bike after 30 years. One day my wifew said" Quit smoling and you can afford a new bike". I never got the new bike, but I now have an RSV, a kompact kamp trailer and no payments. Good on you, keep it up and buy those things you REALLY want.

going on 4 years now with out a smoke and wont ever touch them again.

I cant stand the smell of cigarettes and especially cigars...they choke the heckout of me..

I can smell the stench of a cigarette so easy now and it stinks to high heaven. I never realized it until I quit that I used to smell like that.. I dont even have an ash try in my house and wont...

I smoked for 43 years and will never go back to smoking.. I feel so much better, and can breath a whole lot better....

Thumbs up to anyone who quits...:080402gudl_prv:

smoking just plain stinks.......

Keep up the great work, Guys!! I went cold turkey in 1987 and never looked back. The first week was the hardest but with Jesus Christ there to carry me thru my weak times I was able to make it! Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes and can tell a smoker from 20 feet away.

Strange thing is, sometimes in my dreams I still smoke...

I was hoping nobody revivved this post but since somebody did, I guess I hafta "fess up" now... I made it smoke free for 2 months....and then xmas holidays came around...the wife started puffing again...then the company started showing up and some of them are smokers... I tried to avoid the urges but I caved.... damn!!! been back on the butts since then... but I fully intend to take another go at quitting...possibly this week I will start again.

An acquaintance of mine did the laser therapy thing 5 weeks ago... I just caught up with her today and she says it's great. She tried the pills but they made her sick. I may take that route...not sure.

I must have quit a thousand times before I finally quit for good. One day I got really pissed off at myself for feeling like I lost the battle and so I just kept telling myself that If I light up, I am going to kick my own ass. ha ha. All I can say is the cravings go away, so be patient. (approx 2-3 months). I finally forgot all about lighting up. For me I had to keep active and no alcohol for a while, otherwise I would dwell on it. That was 18 yrs ago.

Keep up the good fight brother.

Good luck. I had quit 2 times way back when and was smokin 2.5 packs a day. Lasted a couple of months then back at it.

Spent 39.99 in 1990 on a hypnotism thing. It worked. Walked out and tossed out the last 3 packs I had and never looked back. Jeeze, Lets see. If I figure correctly that 39.99 added up to 64,000 dollars since I quit.

TIME to QUIT guys

I quit and started many times. This time i'm smoke free for 5.5 years. This time I became a total fanatical cigarette hater. I studied about all the chemicals that are in cigarettes. I read about how the tobacco companies knew way early what was going on, but denied it all. Check out "the cigarette papers"... google it. while you're at it, google some of the chemicals. Here's a little something i wrote a long time a go when I was an almost daily contributor to a Delphi Forum called "Breathe Easy Tobacco Survivors". I had a few of em, but this one was real handy.

Here it is, the long awaited (well, ok just a few days)..... (drum roll, please)...

HYDRAZINE HATER HEADLINES

Among the many chemicals and by-products found in sickarette smoke, (around 4000 by some estimates...) is a significant list of carcinogens, none of which (so far) blows my mind like ROCKET FUEL, also known as HYDRAZINE. (If you wanna dig a little deeper, check out this link...

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/air/chronic_rels/pdf/302012.pdf#search=%22Hydrazine%20%22

WOW!!! What can i say. Any document that starts out with the words "CHRONIC TOXICITY SUMMARY" gets my attention EVERY TIME!!! (They should put a "CHRONIC TOXICITY SUMMARY" on every pack of sickarettes.)

You seriously should sit down and ponder this one. If you have been plagued recently by cravings, or "thoughts about smoking", roll this around in your mind a bit. I find it hard to comprehend, myself.

The primary uses for HYDRAZINE are:

1. a high-energy rocket propellant

2. a reactant in military fuel cells

3. in nickel plating

4. in the polymerization of urethane, (hmmm, sounds like "polyurethane"...)

5. for removal of halogens from wastewater, (what? are people throwing old headlights in the toilet?)

and, here's my favorite...

6. as an oxygen scavenger in boiler feedwater to inhibit corrosion.

Good God O'Mighty!!! I've not been around too many rockets... well, ok, i've never been around em. But I did work a few years as a boiler maintenance dude. Lemme tell ya, the chemicals we used to treat boiler water WILL KILL YOU!!! You wear rubber gloves, aprons, eye protection, etc. anytime you handle them.

There is not a lot of data on this one, due to the limited study done on human exposure. Maybe the lack of human exposure data can be remedied by testing HYDRAZINE exposure on tobacco company executives and millionaires.

There has been, however, a fair amount of testing on cats, dogs, mice, monkeys, guinea pigs, and hamsters. The results after 6 months of exposure to varying levels is about a half a semester of med school biology and includes the following:

squamous metaplasia of the larynx, trachea, and nasal epithelium

anorexia

irregular breathing

vomiting

fatigue

emphysema

lung and liver damage

Lymphoid bronchial hyperplasia

weight depression during exposure,

mineralization of the kidney

amyloidosis in various organs including liver, spleen, kidney, thyroid, and adrenal glands

lymphadenitis of the lymph nodes

senile atrophy of the testis

Now i don't even know what a lot of those words mean, but I don't have to. I know enough to want to stay the hell away from sickarettes. (I especially ain't crazy about any use of "senile" and "testis" in the same sentence.)

Here's the part that gets me the most. Somewhere in some easy chair sits a chemist who knew that HYDRAZINE was a by product of cigarette smoke. How many people knew it, and how long did they know it?

I could drift off into the political aspect of it, but I won't. It is up to each of us as individuals to decide what we put in our bodies. I just think we should KNOW what is in sickarettes. And among other things, HYDRAZINE is in there folks.

And so, for what it's worth, here is yet another reason to not smoke... in fact...

DONT SMOKE EVEN IF YOUR ASS CATCHES ON FIRE!!!

==================================================================================

And now a sneak preview of the next "sickarette chemical spotlight...". You're gonna dig it. At room temperature is a volatile, colorless-to-blue liquid. It rapidly becomes a gas that can produce death in minutes if breathed... Yea, that's right, DEATH IN MINUTES. It's so effective in fact, it is used to fumigate for rats. If you smoke cigarettes, (or want another reason not to smoke) you won't wanna miss the next installment of "SICKARETTE CHEMICAL SPOTLIGHT" coming soon to the "Breathe Easy Tobacco Survivors" forum.

Your friend,

papa smurf!

Here's another disgusting chemical that is intentionally put in cigarettes. It's not the one that they fumigate for rats with, but it's equally toxic.

Well, folks, I must admit, I started out trying to spin a little humor into this one. Truth is, it just ain't funny. So here we go with another "CIGARETTE CHEMICAL SPOTLIGHT" episode.

~~~ VINYL CHLORIDE ~~~~

What is vinyl chloride?

Vinyl chloride is a colorless gas. It burns easily and it is not stable at high temperatures. It has a mild, sweet odor. It is a manufactured substance that does not occur naturally. It can be formed when other substances such as trichloroethane, trichloroethylene, and tetrachloroethylene are broken down. Vinyl chloride is used to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC). PVC is used to make a variety of plastic products, including pipes, wire and cable coatings, and packaging materials. It was once briefly uses as an inhalible anesthetic, but it was found to be too toxic.. DUH!!!

You gotta hand it to them clever chemists over at the death factory. Who would have ever thought of putting this crap (along with a laundry list of other deadly chemicals) in cigarettes!!!

Exposure to vinyl chloride occurs mainly in the workplace. But through the miracle of science, this substance can now be carried with you anywhere you go, in your shirt pocket, your purse, or rolled up really cool looking in the sleeve of your Tee shirt.

Breathing high levels of vinyl chloride for short periods of time can cause dizziness, sleepiness, unconsciousness, and at extremely high levels can cause death.

I can only suppose that it somehow enhances the buzz one gets when smoking a cigarette. And who cares that breathing vinyl chloride for long periods of time can result in permanent liver damage, immune reactions, nerve damage, and liver cancer. The US Dept of Health has said that this little beauty is a known carcinogen. From the viewpoint of legal liability, it's right up there with asbestos.

Here's the ironic part. Vinyl chloride is regulated in drinking water, food, and air. The EPA requires that the amount of vinyl chloride in drinking water not exceed 0.002 milligrams per liter (mg/L) of water.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set a limit of 1 part vinyl chloride per 1 million parts of air (1 ppm) in the workplace.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the vinyl chloride content of various plastics.

But NOBODY tells the tobacco company how to make a cigarette... NOT NOBODY, NOT NO HOW!~ They have an army of chemists on the payroll for that. (I expect there have been a few senators on the payroll as well, but i digress...).

Well, that's probably more than you want or need to know about VINYL CHLORIDE, but what I'm really telling you here is that cigarettes will kill you, very slowly, as they drain away cash from your pocket into the pockets of the tobacco barons.

So thumb your nose at 'em, heck, flip 'em the bird! But what ever you do...

DONT SMOKE, EVEN IF YOUR ASS CATCHES ON FIRE!

-kellyman

I bet I too have tried to quit a thousand times. Finally decided I didn't have enough will power to do it. A friend of mine said "I'll bet you 500 bucks you can't quit smoking" No I says because I know I can't, he said "How about 600?" I says no, he said "how about 700?" Nope.

I knew I couldn't do it so I didn't take the bet but by damn I did stop, cold turkey in Jan of 1980. I chewed a lot of gum which I also think is a nasty habit, so much I had sores in my mouth and began to carry my carpenters pencil around in my mouth all day like a cigarette. To this day I still chew up the ends of the pencils but I never smoked another cigarette.

Good luck to all that are trying to quit and to those that have quit. It's the best decision you have ever made......

Jerry