IGNORED

Footwear and Motorcycles, to flip flop or not

friesman

I read this today in Belt Drive Betty's Facebook Blog, (she runs a Canadian Bikers Newsletter and Biker Friendly Business Directory). I thought it was worth sharing with everyone and especially those who dont wear gear or ensure their passengers wear full gear. Here is her website http://www.beltdrivebetty.com

I know I was young once.

Of that I am quite sure. And I know when I was young I took chances some smarter than others but...

I have become highly critical of those who wear things like sandals and flip flops when they ride. When I pull up beside some dude who has his gal on the back of his motorcycle - and she is wearing a bikini or shorts and a halter/tank top, sandals/flip flops and a full faced helmet I want to SCREAM - I WANT TO RAGE - I want to ask him "Do you not value the life of that pretty young thing behind you?" I have been asking you for feedback on buying new gear....today I ask about foot wear...the following story has a lot to do with why I am the way I am when it comes to my feelings about good gear.

Back in the day when I was young, I was living in a little community called Mara Lake BC. My old man was a guy with the nick name of Rotten Ronnie - aptly named for the noxious gases that exploded from him after a feed of moose or deer meat...Ron is the man who taught me to ride a motorcycle.

Road rash....a story of gory and disturbing proportions that I want to share with you for it is this incident that set me on the path to being an opinionated lady on this topic in many, many ways.

One weekend, Ron and I had gone to Kelowna, we had had a great time and got up nice and early on the Sunday morning to head home, Ron had things around the yard he wanted to get done before work on Monday morning. There were lots of motorcycles out - it was a glorious day to ride.

As we passed through Vernon, traffic began to get thicker, there was construction up ahead about 10 kilometers or so. This young buck (remember I was a lofty 24 then) pulled up beside us on his Suzuki sport bike. He had this very buxom young lady riding pillion. She was wearing a full faced helmet, a bikini and sandals. He was wearing jeans, tee, boots and a full face.

I sat on my ***** pad shaking my head thinking to myself this guy really doesn't value what he has sitting behind him...

Well, we leave the set of lights, the dude on the sport bike far faster than us on the our FXRS...he's gone like a rocket....as Ron and I come around a corner - just before the construction zone that is between Vernon and Armstrong - we see the carnage....my blood runs cold and I am almost sick to my stomach.

There is buddy's sport bike, embedded in the trunk of a car...buddy is screaming, standing but wobbly, bleeding and road rashed...his once pretty little girlfriend is now dead.

Her once buxom form is nothing more than bones now as she has no chest left, just a rib cage from doing a face plant at about 100 KMPH and skidding down the shoulder of the road into the ditch. Her one foot is gone - literally worn off from the high exit rate - she had skidded down the pavement for a good 100 feet or so before tumbling into the ditch.

Rib bones and raw meat are all that were left of her. That and her un scarred, untouched face. I guess that was a consolation, at least her family could have an open casket funeral.

That crash is forever etched in my mind. The howling of the rider - that of a wolf in enormous pain...the visual of this pretty, pretty girl at the set of lights only minutes before transposed over the corpse lying in the ditch that I saw will never leave my mind's eye.

Now perhaps you understand all of the questions from last week about good gear - maybe it will explain a bit to you about why I get a tad opinionated on the subject of gear and helmets etc...so today the question is footwear - what brand, what style and why you chose the particular style you did.

Foot wear is a very important and vital part of the gear equation in my mind...Please share with me your thoughts on choosing good footwear...

I not exactly being the most stylish person(theres your warning) you'll ever meet, wear brown leather tie up steel toes.

When The deer wrecked me this spring I had them on and only had a slightly sore big toe from hitting the pavement.

A friend of mine had to get his left big toe sewn bacK on after wearing sneakers, crashing his bike and skidding down the road with his left foot trapped under his Harley sportster.

Roads are very unforgiving!

wear something that can't be worn through or pulled off.(steeltoes are a plus!):backinmyday:

Good grief, another internet mouthpiece using fear to try to get people to behave the way BeltdriveBetty would have them behave.

I will be so happy when all of these windbags get tired of the motorcycle fad and go back to the country club golf course where they belong.

Good grief, another internet mouthpiece using fear to try to get people to behave the way BeltdriveBetty would have them behave.

I will be so happy when all of these windbags get tired of the motorcycle fad and go back to the country club golf course where they belong.

Renee (Belt Drive Betty) has been in the Canadian biking community forever and has been writing her column and blog since 02 ( I think) She supports several biking charities and very seldom preaches. She isnt your typical journalist type. But I do like her posts and newsletters as our biking community is so much smaller in Canada she helps keep everyone up to date on what is going on.

Brian

I didnt post this to try and pressure anyone into gearing up, thats their choice, but it is more as a reminder to ask your passengers to gear up if they want to and have it available to them if they want it.

Edited by friesman
addtion

Once you have seen someone you know end up like that it will make you stop and think," Do I want to be Mahco or do I care about my family and myself. Broken bones and roadrash takes a while to get over. I don't care how many pain shots they give you it still hurts when they dig out the sand and gravel. What she described happen to a friend of mine and I will never forget the site of it. When it is your time to go you willo go, but don't try to rush to the finish to quick.

tew47

gearing up is a word subject to your own perception. Are you willing to accept the road rash or worse when and if you go down. Its up to each rider. Be they driving or pillion rider.

So dont try to make me fell bad if Im not riding with all the gear you think I should. Its my decision, not yours.

David

Over 30 years as a cop and more bad MC accidents with some serious injuries and many deaths has me convinced to wear ATGATT even if just going to the store. I just shake my head in wonderment when I see other riders wearing pitiful helmets, sneakers, jeans and other similar equipment. Yep. I know. Free country and all.

canadian highway traffic safety act:

Motorcyclists to wear helmet

104. (1) No person shall ride on or operate a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle on a highway unless the person is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (1).

Anything else is personal choice and I respect that. I do think a lot of people overlook footwear though. Having had to kick at the seat with my right foot to get my left foot out from under a bike, I'm a personal fan of full ankle coverage.

Also from the canadian highway traffic safety act:

Horse-riders, helmets and footwear

104.1 (1) No person under the age of 18 years shall ride or be mounted on a horse on a highway unless that person has and is correctly using the following equipment in the manner that it was designed to be used:

1. A helmet that complies with the requirements under the Horse Riding Safety Act, 2001.

2. Footwear that complies with the requirements under the Horse Riding Safety Act, 2001. 2001, c. 4, s. 4.

Man I lead a boring life.:doh::rotf:

....." Do I want to be Mahco or do I care about my family and myself. ".....

tew47

A specious argument, at best. If you really cared about yourself and your family you wouldn't ride a motorcycle.

And when I say "you", I mean you in the collective and not you specifically.

Renee (Belt Drive Betty) has been in the Canadian biking community forever and has been writing her column and blog since 02 .......

Ya know, before I started hating her I tried to spend some time on her website. But it's so poorly done and difficult to get thru that after 10 minutes I gave up.

These arguments always end in the same way. Group A wants group B to do what group A wants them to do, and group B wants group A to just leave them alone to do what they want. Reminds me of organized religion. Lots of guilt, fear, and judgment....and when it's all said and done no one was really right for anyone except himself.:fatsmiley:

Ya know, before I started hating her I tried to spend some time on her website. But it's so poorly done and difficult to get thru that after 10 minutes I gave up.

These arguments always end in the same way. Group A wants group B to do what group A wants them to do, and group B wants group A to just leave them alone to do what they want. Reminds me of organized religion. Lots of guilt, fear, and judgment....and when it's all said and done no one was really right for anyone except himself.:fatsmiley:

Havin a ruff one today...? :think:

Brian

Just as you indicate you will be glad when others depart your sport, we will be equally happy when narrow-minded folks like you learn that safety comes at a cost--good sense! Ten years of teaching MSF courses and seeing the aftermath of a goodly number of accidents from an investigative perspective taught me indelibly that we can control ourselves, but not others--i.e. other drivers, road conditions--and it will pay in the long run to protect ourselves in advance of the nearly inevitable accident rather than to repair the aftermath.

I wish you well, and may your luck continue to run as long as you ride!

You guys are funny...backhanded insults and nose thumbing at each other over a discussion about safety gear. The funny thing is...it is a personal choice. if "I" choose to do 100 mph wearing my speedo and skullcap "helmet" then that is my choice. If i choose to wear 7mm thick leather with kevlar armor, an airbag pack, neck support, riding only a motorcycle with ABS and an airbag...then that too is my choice...

The biggest safety item we all wear everyday we ride is in between our ears. Be as safe as we can and never let your guard down. If the guy next to me is wearing flip flops...so be it...great thing about this country...we actually get to choose. There is no need to get snippy with each other because someone may not agree with the other person's views or beliefs.

"Cant we all just get along?" :)

A specious argument, at best. If you really cared about yourself and your family you wouldn't ride a motorcycle.

And when I say "you", I mean you in the collective and not you specifically.

Just another specious statement?

gearing up is a word subject to your own perception. Are you willing to accept the road rash or worse when and if you go down. Its up to each rider. Be they driving or pillion rider.

So dont try to make me fell bad if Im not riding with all the gear you think I should. Its my decision, not yours.

David

Do you wear Flip Flops when you ride?

You guys are funny...backhanded insults and nose thumbing at each other over a discussion about safety gear. The funny thing is...it is a personal choice. if "I" choose to do 100 mph wearing my speedo and skullcap "helmet" then that is my choice. If i choose to wear 7mm thick leather with kevlar armor, an airbag pack, neck support, riding only a motorcycle with ABS and an airbag...then that too is my choice...

The biggest safety item we all wear everyday we ride is in between our ears. Be as safe as we can and never let your guard down. If the guy next to me is wearing flip flops...so be it...great thing about this country...we actually get to choose. There is no need to get snippy with each other because someone may not agree with the other person's views or beliefs.

"Cant we all just get along?" :)

Isn't that what the internet and message boards have done? Allowed people to ne invisible while they attack each other.

I believe one thing that the "you must wear all this safety gear when you ride group" believes is that the group who choose to ride wearing blue jeans no shirt or helmet and flip flops don't believe that safety gear will help when if fact this group isn't stupid and understands this but makes the choice to do it because they want to. It is like the people who come up to smkers and tell them that smoking is bad for you. Now how arrogant can a person be to say these things believing that they are the person who is smarter and by their one statement it will change what a person does or how they believe. Remember if they are not breaking the law it is none of your concern what they do.

And by the way I do not smoke and I wear boots, shirts , jacket, gloves and a helmet when I ride.

Problem is there are way to many people who think they know best what is good for me. Remember don't tell me what I should do unless you want me telling you what to do also.

Many different perspectives on this topic, I must agree with Rick that there are many daily activities that we do that can cause injury or worse. I wear Still Toe engineer boots, Diamond Gussett riding Jeans, a minimum of a Shorty helmet on every ride, I also have full leathers or cortech but have to confess that I do not wear them as frequent as I probably should.

I know that Statistically here in Illinois Last year there we 108 motorcycle fatalities and that 80% were not wearing helmets. That being said there is no way to determine if the helmet would have changed the outcome. However we are judged by these statistics from Insurance companies both vehicle and medical based on these statistics.

I say to each there own on Riding apparel, to each there own on what tires you buy, and to each there own on what oil you use.

One thing that sends me over the edge is small children being ridden on a motorcycle with limited protection, no backrest, unable to touch pegs. I have seen this so many times and it makes me furious that there are limited laws to protect children from Parental stupidity in regards to motorcycles.

In Ontario, bicycle helmets are manditory for kids under 14. (while riding bicycles...just to be clear)

We also have a manditory seat belt law for our cars/trucks.

I"m not sure....but I was told there was a law against driving a car barefoot

I wouldn't object to a minimum safety standard such as helmet, shoes or boots and some type of protective jacket.

I have ridden in T-shirt and jeans....not often...but on super hot days out in the country....I wouldn't ever in town or on a major highway!

When I took the MSF course 8 years ago I had to buy a pair of high top boots. I planned on riding in boat shoes or tennis shoes. I thought they were being overly cautious. I promised my wife I wouldn't ride my 99 until I graduated from the class. So, Sunday after Saturday graduation I'm going for a ride. I didn't want to fool with the heavy boots so I put on my boat shoes.

I'm backing the beast out of the garage, my foot slips on some leaves,I start going down and in the process of jumping off I bang the side of my foot on a piece of metal on the bike. The next day I couldn't walk on it, it was black and blue from my foot to my knee. Took a week to start healing.

Moral of story: If I'm on the bike I'm wearing boots,jeans,jacket and a quality helmet. Those MSF folks knew what the were talking about.

I wear what I want when I ride. Not always what someone else does. I have never ridden without boots and jeans. normally the weather determines wether it is a jacket or short sleeve shirt. I have laughed at the riders I've seen in the summer all suited up, full face helmets and jackets. Went down twice hard in the last four years. Hit by a car on an exit ramp, he shot in between me and a following car and took my rear wheel out. Broken ribs then and some road rash. Didn't change how I rode until this year when my wife and I hit a herd of deer at 60 plus. I came out with bruises and some rash, I was jacketed and gloved, my wife is still in recuperation four months later. I now no longer laugh at how others are dressed. My wife wouldn't have hurt her face at all with a full helmet on but she was suited up otherwise. It does make a difference. I haven't ridden since May of this year, but when I do get back on I will still wear what I always did, just won't laugh any more at those who take their protection a step further then me. Until you carry someone you love out of the road and realize there was something that could have been done different with something as simple as clothing, to help you won't know I mean. Kind of like jumping out of a plane and never having a mae west happen. Can't explain how it feels until your chute doesn't open on the way down. All of a sudden that pain in the butt reserve becomes very valuble to your well being.

Quote:

Originally Posted by painterman67 viewpost.gif

David

Do you wear Flip Flops when you ride?

OK first of all let me say I honor your decision to ride rptestcted at all times. Being as its your opinion we dont have to agree. Now for the ? you asked me. No I dont ride in flip flops, but I have in my younger years. Did that make me stupid or just ill informed? Whos to say? Now for how I dress when I ride i wear full leather when its cold . In the summer its a minimum of jeans and t shirt, but more than likely Ill have the armored mesh jacket. Always the over the ankle leather boots are worn. You want convince me to wear steel toe as Ive seent the damage that can be done first hand when that toe collapses. Hince my screen name Im in constrution so Ive seen it first hand. I wear them when I work because osha requires them.

Does that make me ill informed? Again, whos to say? But I still dont think anyone has the wright to tell the person next to them what to wera when riding.

With all due respect to anyone and hopefully not affending anyone.

David

Ya'll do what you want. I could honestly care less. I know that there are two types of riders out there; those who have been down, and those who WILL go down. It is only a matter of time, but every single one of us WILL go down eventually. It could be something as mundane as having a foot slip out from under you in your own yard, to having a car pull out in front of you at speed (me), to being young and stupid and going across RR tracks at 130mph (me again). I still have gravel embedded in my chin bone from my young and stupid accident 20+ years ago.

You will very, very rarely see me on a bike with less than blue jeans, steel toe leather boots, a long sleeve shirt, and a minimum of a 3/4 helmet. I may wear shorts if I go to the store at the entrance to my subdivision, since it is 1/4 mile away with a 15mph speed limit between here and there. Even then, though, I refuse to wear flip flops. It could be the gaudy brace I have to wear due to the paralysis. It also could be that I value my toes. Either way, I don't do it. I do not, however, feel the need for a full out leather racing suit. I just don't go fast enough to need it, in my opinion and experience. Jeans and a jacket will suffice for my riding style.

I won't hold it against you if you ride by wearing shorts and flip flops and your hottie on the back wearing a mini skirt (complete with whale-tail, of course) and no shoes at all. I will laugh my #$$ off at you and call you stupid, however. It is my prerogative. To me, it is just beyond crazy to not dress for the ride. But hey, it's your body and your medical bills.:mo money: