IGNORED

tires

warriorhoneybee

i've searched for feedback concerning tires for my second gen. currentley i have metzler front and back with the smaller front than factory. i usally ride two up with 36 in front and 41 in rear however after a 612 mile run to the beach and back the rear tire is cupped very bad and needs to be replaced all though it has pleanty of tread left. maybe i need to run more preasure i dont know,i use a digtal gauge which i think is accurate. any thoughts i'm wide open, thanks:bluesbrother:

I had metzlers on my first gen. I accidentally( stupid mistake not checking) let the rear tire pressure get a little low (40 psi I think) . The tire cupeed rather bad. Side wall read 50 psi max so I pumped it back up and kept it there and after a few hundred or more miles the cupping went away along with the vibration I was getting from the rear tire.Maybey your air pressure is too low. Check side wall and put it to the max. Who knows might help save a tire.

David

Metzelers are known to crack and shed rubber in chunks from the rear tire. Pressure in the rear needs to be closer to 48 lbs. Now that the tire has cupped, keep inspecting the rear for any signs of cracking/splitting along those "pointed" tread areas. That it where it usually would delaminate and the whole triangle area would come off. Happened twice to me and others as well, but there are others who have been lucky and never had any issues with the tire. We all have our tire preferences and mine just happen to be the Avon Venoms. Im on my 4th set and love them....:smile5:

Metzelers are known to crack and shed rubber in chunks from the rear tire. Pressure in the rear needs to be closer to 48 lbs. Now that the tire has cupped, keep inspecting the rear for any signs of cracking/splitting along those "pointed" tread areas. That it where it usually would delaminate and the whole triangle area would come off. Happened twice to me and others as well, but there are others who have been lucky and never had any issues with the tire. We all have our tire preferences and mine just happen to be the Avon Venoms. Im on my 4th set and love them....:smile5:

:sign yeah that:

I knew someone would come in that knew a little more about Metzelers. Keep a close eye on them for cracks.

:sign yeah that:

I knew someone would come in that knew a little more about Metzelers. Keep a close eye on them for cracks.

Why are you awake at 3 am??? I just got home from work but your retired....no excuses!!!!:smile5:

... and no matter what air pressure, I've had cupping on the rear. Wrench started me out with 52, then upped it to 56, and still cupping; went to 58, still cupping; will try 49 and ride that awhile; almost 10,000 on it and the center is down quite a bit. Front still looks like new and is older than the rear. Will be replacing the rear soon with Avon Venoms or Dunlap III, recommended by friend Squidley to me. Good luck; yes, I too watch that rear for cracking and cips out ... weekly!

JackZ

Ft Collins, CO

... and no matter what air pressure, I've had cupping on the rear. Wrench started me out with 52, then upped it to 56, and still cupping; went to 58, still cupping; will try 49 and ride that awhile; almost 10,000 on it and the center is down quite a bit. Front still looks like new and is older than the rear. Will be replacing the rear soon with Avon Venoms or Dunlap III, recommended by friend Squidley to me. Good luck; yes, I too watch that rear for cracking and cips out ... weekly!

JackZ

Ft Collins, CO

I ran an Avon and only got about 8,000 miles out of it. I now run Elite 3's and so far I have 7,000 miles on them and can't even tell they are wearing. I know everyone complains they are noisy but why do I care I just crank up the tunes a little more. Plus I need the tires to last because changing them at 7-8 thousand gets old since I ride about a 1,000 miles a week.

Besides being the only tire on the Royal Stars that tends to "frequently" have large chunks of tread separate completely from the rest of the tire (frequently compared to any other brand), the 880s seem to cup quickly and badly.

That statement is based on my unscientific observation of the various tires I have helped change for many members of this site. I recently had over 30 tires from these bikes sitting in the back of my truck waiting for me to make a run to the recyclers, and every single Metzeler rear tire was BADLY cupped, while not a single rear tire from any other brand showed significant cupping.

Of course, suspension and balance problems on the specific bikes could have caused the problems instead of just junk tires, but I do not believe that any more than I believe Metzeler's claim that every one of their customers who has a tire problem is an idiot.

Goose

I've had three sets of Metzler's and like the tire. I had one crack and chunk of rubber come off so I know that problem. I will say that between the dealer and Metzler I had two replaced free. Had numerous contact with Metzler and they state that the rear tire be 45 psi or more riding one up and run the maximun pressure 50 psi if your riding two up.

I've had three sets of Metzler's and like the tire. I had one crack and chunk of rubber come off so I know that problem. I will say that between the dealer and Metzler I had two replaced free. Had numerous contact with Metzler and they state that the rear tire be 45 psi or more riding one up and run the maximun pressure 50 psi if your riding two up.

Moped, we all had contact with Metz customer service at one time or another. They acted like we were a bunch of dolts who couldnt adjust our pants belt much less check air pressure. If you already had 2 replaced, free or not, thats one too many for my tastes. They wont admit a serious flaw with their tires, they would rather place the blame squarely on the riders shoulders. I average about 12 to 13k on my Avons and im quite happy with them.

Just a side note: on another thread I claimed that my last rear Avon wore prematurely below 10k. After researching my trips I realized that I had over 12k on it. Cupping came in about 500 miles before it wore out. But it didnt lose any rubber!!! :smile5:

Besides being the only tire on the Royal Stars that tends to "frequently" have large chunks of tread separate completely from the rest of the tire (frequently compared to any other brand), the 880s seem to cup quickly and badly.

That statement is based on my unscientific observation of the various tires I have helped change for many members of this site. I recently had over 30 tires from these bikes sitting in the back of my truck waiting for me to make a run to the recyclers, and every single Metzeler rear tire was BADLY cupped, while not a single rear tire from any other brand showed significant cupping.

Of course, suspension and balance problems on the specific bikes could have caused the problems instead of just junk tires, but I do not believe that any more than I believe Metzeler's claim that every one of their customers who has a tire problem is an idiot.

Goose

Hey Y'all.

Of all of the comments on this thread or any other "tire concerns" thread, I tend to agree more with VGoose"s comments. He indicates he has real, broad based, hands-on experience with a lot of tires. You work on enough of them, and you tend to see patterns with some issues.

For 40 years, I've done all of the work on my bikes, as well as, working on other folk's rides as a way to fellowship. I go over every bike regularly to make sure to catch any concern before it becomes a bigger concern.

I put 21000 miles on my Millenium's first set of Dunlops. The rear was quite cupped when I replaced it. I ran 40 psi front and rear on those Dunlops.

I replaced the Dunlops with my first set of Metzelers. I really liked the handling during the life of those tires. I put 18000 miles on them. The rear had some cupping going on.

When I broke the bead on that rear tire, the tread did indeed separate. I had already purchased a new set of Metzelers, so I installed them. I also moved the air pressure up to 42 rear/41 front.

I currently have 14000 on those tires and really see no cupping on the rear yet. I think the increased tire pressure has helped. But I don't know if I want to go to the upper 40s or 50s in psi in my tires yet. That may work for some folks, but seems like quite a lot to me.

I plan to replace my tires soon and am doing some research now. May or may not go back with Metzelers.

Now, all of that said, here is my riding style:

I am a confessed motorcycle addict. I literally ride everyday. As of today, I only have a little over 53,000 miles on the Millenium because I share the miles among my other bikes too.

I am very weight conscious when loading up the bike.

I add nothing (especially chrome) to my bike if it doesn't have a proven purpose like a luggage rack, highway pegs, etc. To me, so many of the pretty chrome do-dads are just added weight. I once heard that chrome don't get you home. I guess I agree with that.

I ride my Ventures fairly conservatively, i.e. mostly solo (my wife and kids ride bikes by themselves), loaded both within load specs and properly balanced. I ride within the posted speed limits - understanding that my speedo is a few mph generous. I weigh 200 lbs. I pull a trailer when I have the need. My wife, kids, and ministry students tell me that I drive my truck like an old man. I guess I ride my Venture like that too. Hence, I am blessed with some pretty good tire mileage.

I've been told that I am the exception to VMax owners because I even get over 10,000 miles out of the rear tire on my VMax. Although most folks would think of the VMax as a dragster, I do like to travel on mine. I live in a flat coastal area where most folks would find riding fairly boring. I ride anyway.

So, I do enjoy some spirited riding when I visit the mountains on the VMax.

Like a lot of you older guys who were born in the 50s, I grew up poor and had to make everything last. So I learned to work on everything and take care of what I had. I do have fun with my bikes, but ride wisely (most of the time). Tires, unfortunately, do cost some good money these days.

Maybe if I lose a bit of my body weight, I will even get more mileage out of a tire.

I like to read the threads on here because I learn a whole lot from you folks. You've provided some great answers to many of my questions, and I really enjoy the fellowship.

Rusty