IGNORED

Installing RSTD Passing lamps

Try these two pages from the Yamaha instructions. I've got the rest if you need it.

Sorry, I could only get one page to upload as the others are two big for the file size restrictions on this site. PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you the whole thing.

Scott' The wires are in the headlight,there is a 12 pin connector.The main thing is when do you want the lights on.The red power wire is connected to the blue wire if you want them to be on all the time,high beam only yellow wire and low beam only green wire.Hope this helps Jerry

• 1 year later...

Does anyone here have step by step instructions to installing these passing lamps on a RSV with any pictures? I know this has been addressed before, but I can't find much. Anything would be greatly appreciated. I have what I need for splitting the fairing. Thanks John

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada:

Guest tx2sturgis

Now thats something I didnt know...are yall sayin that the Venture already is wired for passing lights? You just find the right wires in the fairing and hook em up? Hmmm...Next time I split the fairing I'll have to look for that.

Of course I knew that Yamaha sells driving lights, but I had assumed that there was a wiring harness included with the lights...but it sounds like Yamaha prewired the bike for those...well thats cool!

Learn somethin new everyday.

:)

Now thats something I didnt know...are yall sayin that the Venture already is wired for passing lights? You just find the right wires in the fairing and hook em up? Hmmm...Next time I split the fairing I'll have to look for that.

Of course I knew that Yamaha sells driving lights, but I had assumed that there was a wiring harness included with the lights...but it sounds like Yamaha prewired the bike for those...well thats cool!

Learn somethin new everyday.

:)

They do supply a harness. It's mostly plug and play. You do have to tap into a wire. Which one depends on when you want them to work as was mentioned above. Also if you decide to go the relay route as many of us have it will be a little more complicated. I just installed mine on the RSV last weekend and I'm happy with them. Took it out for the first time last night. I need to get them aimed right though which may be a pain since there's no simple way to do that without disassembling the lamps from what I can tell.-Jack

They do supply a harness. It's mostly plug and play. You do have to tap into a wire. Which one depends on when you want them to work as was mentioned above. Also if you decide to go the relay route as many of us have it will be a little more complicated. I just installed mine on the RSV last weekend and I'm happy with them. Took it out for the first time last night. I need to get them aimed right though which may be a pain since there's no simple way to do that without disassembling the lamps from what I can tell.-Jack

You are correct, you do have to pull the bulbs out and loosen the nut on the inside of the housing in order to aim the lights. It's a pain but it only took me about 30 min when I did it. Loosen the nut just enough to let you turn the cans with some force. That way you can put the lamps back in, adjust them and they should stay where you put them and not move when you remove the bulbs to tighten the nut back up.

Guest tx2sturgis
You are correct, you do have to pull the bulbs out and loosen the nut on the inside of the housing in order to aim the lights. It's a pain but it only took me about 30 min when I did it. Loosen the nut just enough to let you turn the cans with some force. That way you can put the lamps back in, adjust them and they should stay where you put them and not move when you remove the bulbs to tighten the nut back up.

Thanks guys, thats good to know about with the existing harness...

Now, I have some info for you. This is how you aim the passing lights on a Harley. Seriously. Look at the palm of your hand..see the base of your palm, right above your wrist? Bend your hand back, and you have the perfect tool for aiming the light.

Im absolutely serious...hitting the lights with the base of your palm is the best way to aim the passing lights on a Harley. Make sure the light is OFF during the 'adjustment'...but this is the best way to do it. If you try to make complicated adjustments using tools on the nuts, bolts and trim ring, it is a HUGE pain in the...back side. And you will spend a long time, trying to get it right.

I dont know if the 'high tech' Yamaha lights work the same way, but if someone will try this, we'll find out.