IGNORED

Tire question

murph35640

I would like to hear your opinions on a tire issue. On sept 9th as we were leaving to head out west I noticed my rear tire looked low so I checked and sure enough it was down to about 25 lbs. Tire shop found a nail in it and would not repair it. I have been running Avons for a while now and the rear was about three months old. The only thing they had in stock was a Dunlop 404 which I am not a fan of but we were literally on our way out of town when I stopped at the shop. So anyway, I had the Dunlop installed and headed out. Now I am in South Dakota and 3800 miles into this trip and the new tire is about shot. I think it will last the rest of the trip which should total about 5200 miles and I will keep a very close watch on it the rest of the way. This whole trip has been 2 up, pulling a loaded Bushtec trailer and through the mtns of Colorado, Yellowstone and Bighorn mountains of Wyoming and parts of Montana. Do you think that the tire should have lasted longer than this or do you think that it did what it should have considering the conditions?

The Dunlop D404 uses one of the softest rubber compounds that Dunlop offers for it's tires. This is why owners of big twin motorcycles run these tires, short trips, and the soft rubber compound give the rider the "illusion" of a soft cushy ride. With a tire pressure of 42 to 45 PSI, 5000 miles is excellent mileage for this tire considering the weight of your scoot, the fact you are riding 2up and the "final nail in the coffin" your trailer. Watch very closely for a patch of cord to show on this tire, maybe in more than one spot, and NOT a continuous cord strip all the way around the tire, which means you will need to check the tire tread, then rotate the tire by moving the bike forward, and check again. Try NOT to downshift the transmission and use the engine as a brake, as this is what causes the cord patches to appear. This will buy you some additional miles on that tire, and should get you home safely. Literally, as soon as you pull into the driveway, be prepared to replace that rear tire, and count your lucky stars that your trip wasn't 7000 miles long! Keeping it aired up properly and easy use of the throttle should see you home safely but check that tire tread every gas stop to insure that you know where you stand as far as rubber on the road goes.

Ride safely, and have a great trip,

Earl

Your D404 is acting like it should...low mileage is an understatement. I used to run them on my BMW RT1200 and would be happy if i got anything over 3500 miles on a set before they cupped / wore down...especially the rear if you're doing a lot of highway driving.

On the flipside, they hold the road through the corners very well in my opinion...but so do a lot of other tires!

Had to stop in Missouri Valley Iowa because of the rain. I have an appointment in Omaha Nebraska in the morning to have a new rear tire installed, this one is at the point where I am really scared to try to continue with it. Even though I have already ordered a new set of Avons and they should be there on monday or tuesday I had rather spend a couple hundred bucks than to push my luck on a worn out tire.

Had to stop in Missouri Valley Iowa because of the rain. I have an appointment in Omaha Nebraska in the morning to have a new rear tire installed, this one is at the point where I am really scared to try to continue with it. Even though I have already ordered a new set of Avons and they should be there on monday or tuesday I had rather spend a couple hundred bucks than to push my luck on a worn out tire.

Wise decision..That or E3S...I got in that position once and HAD to buy the Metz..It lasted 1700 miles and started throwing rubber..Never again. Be safe out there..If you need anything Ill help however I can.