IGNORED

Going Dark

1BigDog

Well kids, im gonna pull the trigger. My Avon rear tire wore out in less than 10k. I usually got closer to 14k on them. Didnt do anything different either. So......im looking to order a Kuhmo Power Star 758. One place had it for 52.90 with free shipping but its backordered for 45 days. I put in a price match request with a local dealer and ill see what he comes up with. He wants 69.00 for the tire.

I read all the pros and cons and im still a bit leery but for the price ill give it a fair try. Guy at work put over 25k on his CT on his GW and does the dragon regularly. Since im not a twisties king of guy this may work for me.

Well I can tell you that I like mine till I get to 85mph one up. If I'm riding two up and loaded for a trip no problems at all.

Now I haven't played with the pressure much and according to all that I read that is paramount to success on this "side."

I've heard of people running anywhere from 54psi to 32psi. Right now I'm running about 42 psi.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna stay, due to high speed wobble, but I'm not that spirited of a rider anyway.

I had the Nexen one on the back. Felt Like I was always having to correct the bike. Ponch said the same about the Nexen and that the Kuhmo was better. I may try it next. I also forgot I had the leveling links on and that may have had a lot to do with the bike feeling light in the front. Think I'll remove the leveling links and do the Kuhmo after this Dunlop E2 is done.

Went ahead and ordered the Kuhmo Power Star 758 on Ebay tonight. The site that had free shipping had the tire backordered for at least 45 days. Local distributors in here couldnt even find one in town. Had plenty of Nexxan tires though.

So, does that mean that us riders are scarfing up all the Kuhmo tires out there? :smile5:

As a suggestion, start with 32 psi. I started at 38psi and liked it but had the dreaded wobble, i went down to 32 for about 1000 miles with zero issues. I pumped it up to 54 for a couple hundred miles with no wobble BUT i found the ride to be very very stiff. In fact it was the first time i got off the bike and my back was sore as heck! I went back down to 32 and everything is great again! Good luck!

As a suggestion, start with 32 psi. I started at 38psi and liked it but had the dreaded wobble, i went down to 32 for about 1000 miles with zero issues. I pumped it up to 54 for a couple hundred miles with no wobble BUT i found the ride to be very very stiff. In fact it was the first time i got off the bike and my back was sore as heck! I went back down to 32 and everything is great again! Good luck!

My son and I rode about 1200 miles a week or so ago and I didn't notice any back problems with 54lbs in the Kuhmo.

O.K. I have one statement and a few questions about the Darkside.

I rode a friend's 2007 Venture with a car tire on the rear (don't know which type) and I really disliked it. It seemed to be "searching", like riding in and out of the lips of a rut. Now, to be fair, I didn't know the air pressure he was running, but it was probably lower than the 50 psi or so that I'm reading on here.

My friend did say that he "Rocked the Dragon" with it. So, if it works for him, then I can't discount that.

So, pardon my ignorance about the Darkside, but are the car tires folks run a type of directional tire? If not, how do you decide which way to mount it?

Are these car tires even rated for the 50+ psi?

My other friend has a Harley Ultra that is a few years old so it doesn't have the recent frame design and larger rear tire. Sweet bike, but he only gets 6k out of his rear tire, and that's really pushing the limit, according to him.

When he saw my rear (Metzler) with 14k on it and still looking fine, he couldn't believe it.

Yes, I've read the various opinions about Metzlers, but I'm no dummy when it comes to my own bikes. I prefer them and have been running them on other bikes for years. I do all of my own maintenance, so I thoroughly inspect everything often. I ride mostly one-up and do not do the Dragon type stuff on my Ventures. However, maybe I'll try another type of tire one day. I'm open to that.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with Harleys and car tires?

I haven't seen any Darkside Harleys.

Would there be a recommended car tire made to fit an Ultra?

Thanks for your responses.

I've seen postings on the Delphi Darkside forum and H-D forums from H-D guys so some of them do it too.

As far as The Kumho... the max pressure molded on the tire is 44 psi and most of us run well under that. I played around and ended up at 38.

And none of the tires that will fit the Venture are directional.

My son and I rode about 1200 miles a week or so ago and I didn't notice any back problems with 54lbs in the Kuhmo.

i know you keep it there and are no doubt used to it...i gave it a shot and i liked it at first, but after an hour i was hurting. I also found that the 54 psi raised the rear conisiderably so its entirely possible my back pain was caused from how i was sitting since it didnt feel "normal" for me to be sitting that high. Either way, like has been said numerous times in here, you have to find what works for you.

Just wore out my rear OEM tire,( 5,500 miles ). I am considering giving a c/t a try. I just found out that the Kumho power star 758 165/80R15 is no longer made. Any suggestions? ( for all the anti-darksiders -- I am going to put the Dunlop E3's on next -- My expectation is 11,000 miles from the rear, otherwise I am going to the darkside and try it out )

Just wore out my rear OEM tire,( 5,500 miles ). I am considering giving a c/t a try. I just found out that the Kumho power star 758 165/80R15 is no longer made. Any suggestions? ( for all the anti-darksiders -- I am going to put the Dunlop E3's on next -- My expectation is 11,000 miles from the rear, otherwise I am going to the darkside and try it out )

I just got my Kuhmo on ebay. The guy had 10 in stock for 53.00 plus shipping.