IGNORED

Rear End Maintenance Guidance

Good Morning All,

Last time I rode my 2005 RSTD, I noticed a vibration at higher speed. My RSTD has about 9830 miles on it. I have read several posts here about greasing the splines in the rear hub and the drive shaft. I would like to do this before a trip that I have scheduled for the 24th. Can any of you direct me to existing threads with step by step instructions on what must be removed to accomplish this? For instance, is it necessary to remove the rear fender and the exhaust header pipes? I am mechanically inclined, but I haven't ever removed the rear wheel on a shaft drive motorcycle before. Also, I have read threads where people have ruined seals trying to remove the drive shaft. I want the bike to be safe for this trip, but at the same time, I don't want to do anything stupid that will end up causing me to not be able to take the bike on the trip. So can any of you point me in the direction of some step by step instructions of this process? (Pictures would help if available.)

Thanking You In Advance.

Regards,

Tony

I hope you have a great time on your trip! The posters above have given you excellent advice. I would address that final drive when you change your rear tire. Like many of us older guys, that whole laying on the ground and checking the tire pressure (especially the rear tire) is not at the top of my list of "fun things to do." But regardless, it needs to be done before every ride. When I say check that tire pressure, if you are running those tires at 32PSI, then you are running them underinflated. I am assuming that you are running the "brickstones" that came with the bike, (or possibly Dunlop 404's) Try 40 PSI front and 42 PSI rear. I am sure that the Second Gen. guys will help you fine tune these suggested tire pressures. Another possible issue might be a Carb. Sync. but your gas mileage would be an indicator of this issue.

Have a great time, air up those tires, and invite a VR.ORG member over for lunch with a Carbtune either before or after your trip. Make a note to service that final drive when you change out that tire.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks again for all of the great info. Hat-Tip to Goose, Hunter, and RSTDdog for suggesting to check the balance on the rear wheel. I went ahead and serviced the rear-end using Freebird's post of Cougar's write-up that Keith referred me to and had absolutely no problems. There was not much grease on the splines, and none on the pins that insert into the wheel. RSTDdog, the rear tire is fairly new as I ran over a nail with the original. Earl, I have the original Brickstone on the front and a Metzeler M880 on the rear. I typically have inflated them to the specs in the manual. Besides better fuel economy, how else would I benefit by running them at 40 and 42? My mileage has been lousy and I have a carb sync on my to do list.

Now for the next question. How much play should the top rear shock bolt have in it? I decided to inspect the swing-arm assembly before I start to put her back together, and discovered play when I raise the swing-arm up and down. Is there a bushing in there that can be worn out already, or is this normal. I would guess it is probably somewhere between 1/32nd and 1/16th of an inch, and appears to be concentrated on the top rear shock connection. Have any of you experienced this?

Regards,

Tony